Hand Mixing Woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Broosky's bread made by hand

hi Broosky - it's me again -

hey - I just noticed this in your earlier post...
With the bread maker I just threw everything in (liquid 1st) let it go on a dough setting and pulled it out 90 minutes later - knocked it down, divided it (for hi top) rolled it and wacked it in the tin.
wow! 90 minutes kneading for a l-lb loaf seems awfully long to me - is this normal for using a bread machine?

Also, for any of your test batches, after the dough was kneaded did you ever give it a rise in the bowl before letting it rise in the pan?

Anyway, I decided to make your recipie entirely by hand. I used a small battery-powered kitchen scale to weigh ingredients (scale doesn't include weight of container if you put the container on the scale before turning it on). BTW, you said your...
Flour constituents were:
2 Tbspn Gluten Flour (80% protein)
1 tspn Bread Improver (95% soya flour etc)
Topped up with AP Flour
I had neither soy or gluten flour in the house so I left out the soy and substituted half AP and half bread flour. Here's your recipie again with what I used in italics.
300gms flour [10.6 oz by weight / about 2 US cups by volume] 150 gm unbleached AP and 150 gm white bread flour
180ml water [0.761 US cups]
20 mls oil (Macadamia) [4.059 tsp-US or 1.353 TBS-US] 4 tsp corn oil
1.5 tspn salt
1.5 tspn yeast active dry yeast
2 tspn sugar

and here are my notes...

prep > Take yeast out of freezer. Put 150gm by weight AP and BR flour in seperate bowls and measure out dry ingredients. Put 180gm water (1 ml = 1 grm right?) in measuring cup (actually looked closer to 200 ml). Get out bowl and sturdy wire whip.

proof yeast > put about 1/4 cup of the water, 2 pinches of the sugar and all of yeast in bowl - give it a good stir and let sit for about 5 min to proof.

make sponge > stir all of the bread flour into bowl and beat/stir by hand for about 5 min - this is actual time (can't include time spent resting my weary hand). Ok - I have errands to run so I'll just leave bowl uncovered on the counter and check it in about an hour. Should have about doubled in bulk by that time.

add remaining ingredients > Hmmm, took longer than I expected for errands (maybe 90 min?) but I made a detour to buy an oven thermometer. Sponge has definitely doubled and kitchen has a pleasant yeasty smell. Stir in rest of sugar, salt, oil. Start stirring in AP flour in small batches. Oops, should have switched to a spoon cuz batter is glomming up inside the whip. Pry out dough; looks like I've added about 1/2 of the AP flour. Time to knead...

kneading > Should start by noting that all flour is coming from the bowl of 150 gm AP flour (not using any extra). Sprinkle a small handful of the AP flour on table, dump dough on top of flour, flour hands . Dough is really sticky and moist at this point so must knead gently. Each time dough starts to stick to my hands, I take a small amount of flour and rub it through my hands letting the rest fall on top of the dough. By the time I've kneaded in 2/3 of the AP flour the dough is taking shape and isn't as sticky. Keep adding a small handful of flour at a time, kneading it after each addition until dough starts to stick to the table at which point I add more flour and resume kneading. After about 7 min all flour well incorporated and dough has a nice "hand" - light, smooth and resilient. Could stop now but decide to knead a little longer (didn't use any more flour!) for a total kneading time of 10 min.

rise in bowl > lightly oil bowl, dump in dough, turn in circle and flip so top is oiled. Normally I cover the top of the dough with platic wrap but, since the dough is a little moister than I'm used to, decide simply to cover bowl with a towel. Set timer for 1 hour. In the interest of scientific accuracy I check the local temperature - http://weather.gov/ tells me its in the low 70's and the humidity is 54%. (This is fun! - I feel like I'm back in a 6th grade science class.)

shape dough and rise in pan > One hour was just right - dough has doubled in bulk and weighs 500 gm. Sprinkle a tiny amount of flour on board, knead about 4-5 turns (notice dough is not as moist as it was before the rise), form into ball, cover with towel and let rest for about 15 min while I grease my pan and tidy up the kitchen. Shape into loaf and put in pan. Hmmm, dough looks a little lonely in there - is pan too big??? Dig around for a smaller pan - find a metal one measuring 7.5" x 4" x 2" deep (capacity 3 cups) - grease pan and in goes the dough - definitely a better size. Check dough after 30 min. Nicely risen. Score top of dough, start oven preheating to 350F. Temp reached after about 10 minutes. On to ...

baking > Set bread pan on rack in middle of oven. Not sure how long to bake so will check progress in 30 min.
...30 min later - bread definitely continued to rise in the oven (looks like maybe an additional inch?) and is just starting to color slightly. Will check again in 10-15 min...
...15 min later - crust hasn't browned much more (the crust of my white bread is usually darker after 45 min baking). Will mimic broosky's aproach by removing bread from pan and setting directly on rack - I'll kick up the heat to 375F too...
...15 min later - bread is a light golden tan - I don't want to over-bake so out it comes to cool on a rack. Finished product is about 4" high and weighs 425gm.

Gotta go meet a friend so will post this now (hope it's not too long). Cheers to all - SP

Alix said:
Now THAT would be a party! I vote we each bring a dish and a drink native or popular in our particular country and have a BIG party. Who's in?

Well, me and my big mouth of course. To those of you in the (former?)Coomonwealth - what Amerikansky thing have you always wanted to try?
If I don't know how to make it, I will try to find the recipe. One rule: there will be no McFood.

Note to Alix - we should probably be doing this on the Dine With Us thread, but I love the randomness of how things get talked about/acted upon of this whole board.

SAITE - Slinks Away In Total Embarassment :oops:

Mudbug my most humble and sincere apologies over my misreading of your name.

I told Eric he had fans in America & around the world and he said (fairdinkum) "What, for fixing planes? What are you smoking Brooksy?"

Yes Thorpey (Thorpedo) and klimmy (Boofhead) are really nice people in person too. Don't know whether I should say they are good looking - I have a wife & kids. We're all related down here, nuthin' else to do.

G'day Oldcoot. Nice to meet you, I been reading your posts and going absolutely ape____ over your pics. Beautiful looking results - very very impressed, and somewhat jealous. I tried a plait after seeing yours, and boy oh boy, what a flop. Rose beautifully and I reckon I left it too long & it ended up a split plait. :LOL: Been 20 years since I've paddled a baby's butt. It is really hard explaining that exact texture

Our native drink is Beer, a good liquid for bread. Unfortunately not a Bud man myself, I find it a bit tasteless. If you've got any maltier beers over there wack some in your bread instead of water/milk. Our wines aren't bad either but I'm not putting that in bread.

As long as we keep mentioning bread then we're ok.

What American Dish would I like to try? Spicy, hot, seafood or game prob southern because northern North Americans & Canadians (generalizing for debate purposes) are pretty much like us - meat & 3 veg :P

I can produce bewdiful pasta dinky di homemade pasta, but fail in the bread department. Not even game to try pastry at all. :oops:

Speaking of which, I just got another loaf of 'The Old Dodger" in the oven as we type. Been in an hour @ 170C & still stuck to the pan - a worry. Pumped up the temp & give it another 10mins to see if it releases. Dust my pans rather than oil.

The other day when Miss 5yo's mother came over I was sure what she was going to say because they questioned Maddy intensely over ther spacer nuts. She was crippled. Maddy related the whole story to them on the reason some dogs have spacer nuts and some don't. Do dogs have spacer nuts in US?

Mudbug I've never posted a message anywhere else except here & I've computer wise since '77 & Internet since '94. I married a Pom and I dare say most of you will know what a 'Ten Pound Import" is. Well I caught me one. Sue & her family came out here as free settlers back '66. I told some lies and ended up with a fully imported model - better than the domestic breeds. :) Yep know my bubbles from my pudds & toads. Susie was taught well by my mother outlaw.

My Mum was actually born in California, dunno whether you've ever heard of the place, in a little town of San Jose. They came over here in about '21 or '22.

Any way time for a bread report - bugger, got carried away typing on this thing & forgot all about it! Dark, dark brown. At least it won't be overly moist in the middle this time.

Better post this & go and sample this bread. If it is crook, I ain't tellin'

Turned out Krusty, 10 mins earlier would have been perfect.

I did however stray from my standard white recipe and replaced water with milk and sugar with honey, same amounts. Can really taste the honey, very nice.

C y'll later,

Brooksy

subfuscpersona, I hope you type fast.

Sounds like you had success Great stuff.

One thing though, the 90 minute cycle is 30 mins mixing & kneading and 60 mins rise. Sorry.

If you have a digcam can you post a picture? Love to see it an compare. Unfortunately I don't own a digital cam any more. Thieves needed it more & I haven't replaced it.

Brooksy

Brooksy:

No worries over the name. Some would probably say yours is mo' bettah.
We were meant to "meet" - my mum is also a native (southern) Californian and dad started his working life as an aircraft mechanic. He grew up in New Orleans so I can for sure give you some ideas on spicy seafood tucker. Tell your Eric hello anyway and sorry for the mixup.

Didn't quite get all the strine in your last post, but haven't talked to my Ozzie SIL in a bit. We had a Pom in the family but he didn't work out so my sis had to let him go. That's life.

As for Oz food, something with prawns would be nice. But no Vegamite, please.

Alix: got any recipes for polar bear?

Nope, no polar bear, but I did have one for whale blubber...heeheehee. I think I will get myself over to the Dine with us section to post some stuff too.

As for me, well, I would like to try Southern food. I have been reading some of the posts by Raine and the rest and it sounds yummy. I am thinking chicken fried steak with red eye gravy would be a good starting point.

As for Oz food, well...hmmm...I agree with the no Vegemite stuff, but otherwise, I am good to try most anything. What is a good start Brooksy, kyles?

Rainee has posted some excellent southern-style recipes. Maybe it's just me, but I would never eat redeye gravy on chicken fried steak. Redeye is for ham only, in my book. Chicken-fried steak calls for a thick white gravy.

Brooksy said:
If you have a digcam can you post a picture? Love to see it an compare.
I found the digital camera but I've lost the cable that lets me upload to the 'puter so I'll have to pick up another one. Will post picture if I can keep the loaf from being eaten before it has it's photo session. Check back in about 2 days if you're still interested.

pix of Broosky bread recipie kneaded by hand

Brooksy said:
If you have a digcam can you post a picture? Love to see it an compare.
here are the pix
broosky-bread-side.jpg

broosky-bread-top.jpg

broosky-bread-interior.jpg
[/i]

Dear oh dear,

:shock: :eek: I am now officially jealous. It is a pity there isn't a little green smiley. :cry:

That looks terrific! I hope it tasted as good as it looked

WELL DONE

Now I know what to work at.

Brooksy

:oops: I wasn't going to say anything, but I'd better own up.

Another failure. Before viewing sub's pics I made another batch, a double batch for 1kg of dough (pound loaf recipe doubled) to make 2 pound loaves (obviously). I did this to freeze 1 & cook one to see if it does work.

I made only small mod, water should have been 360mls, I used 350mls. 360mls water + 40mls oil would retain the .67 ratio but reducing the water by 10ml gives a ratio .65 . Dough looked & felt beaut, came together well in the bowl, first rise was slow at about 1.5 hrs, second rise was very slow at 2 hrs.

Baked at 190C (375F) @ 45mins looked good, sounded solid, removed @ 1hr and was dry :cry:

All ingredients well within life, I'll back off the temp 10 deg & see what happens with second loaf now on rise. :?

Brooksy

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom