Catering to Picky eaters??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reading this thread has reminded me of the flip side of this topic. People that try to bully me into eating things that I don't care for or that are not good for me. I really don't think I need to offer an explanation of why I am not eating certain things. I wish people would offer and then just let it go. Years ago I read an article that referred to these people as "friendly enemies". The whole routine gets pretty tedious to listen to. "oh try it", "a little won't hurt you", "you'll hurt my feelings", " you can diet tomorrow", etc...

Reading this thread has reminded me of the flip side of this topic. People that try to bully me into eating things that I don't care for or that are not good for me. I really don't think I need to offer an explanation of why I am not eating certain things. I wish people would offer and then just let it go. Years ago I read an article that referred to these people as "friendly enemies". The whole routine gets pretty tedious to listen to. "oh try it", "a little won't hurt you", "you'll hurt my feelings", " you can diet tomorrow", etc...

Don't I know it, I want a sign that reads: "Diabetic - I do not despise you or your cooking, just want to keep my legs and eyesight"

Besides, I have enough problems trying to decide if I can have a tsp of sugar in this cup of coffee or not, a plateful of fudge is way off my radar.

Last edited:
Don't I know it, I want a sign that reads: "Diabetic - I do not despise you or your cooking, just want to keep my legs and eyesight"

Besides, I have enough problems trying to decide if I can have a tsp of sugar in this cup of coffee or not, a plateful of fudge is way off my radar.

Unfortunately, my sister had a cousin by marriage that refused to admit to anyone that she was diabetic. She flatly refused to go for medical appointments, and it wasn't until her employer finally got tired of the costs needed to meet her needs for the blind brought on by the diabetes, did she admit that she was diabetic. Too late now. She lost her job and moved back to California because her family members are the only ones willing to put up with her denial.

Please, do not tell me about your uncle who eats desserts all the time. Or someone's aunt who said she was cured of diabetes and can now eat all the sweets she wants. No, I don't want to go to your doctor who told you that you were just borderline. I am past that line and there is no going back. I will be a diabetic for the rest of my life. Just because I am no longer on medication, doesn't mean I have been cured. There is NO CURE! Maybe someday. But not today. It just means that I watch what I eat very closely.

Oh and let me tell you about Jim Bob. He went down to Florida to visit his kids. Another one in denial. It was always the doctor's fault because he didn't give him the right medicines. Why should he have to give up all the foods he loved. Like a half gallon of ice cream every night while watching TV. Or a whole cake that he would bake for himself. They found him in a ditch on his way back from his vacation, unconscious. When he woke up, he was missing one leg above the knee and the toes on the other one. The last time I talked to him, he was going in for the other leg to be amputated. But he wanted to have cake and ice cream before he went in. Someone told me he died on the operating table.

So before you tell me about the relatives who cheat all the time and have no problems, let me tell you a few stories first. :angel:

See all the stories I know are on the other side. My uncle who was like my father to me died at 40 because he refused to change his eating habits and was under the impression, "If I am gonna die, I am gonna die eating and drinking what I love." I wish he wouldn't have felt that way so my children could have spent some time with him. :(

See all the stories I know are on the other side. My uncle who was like my father to me died at 40 because he refused to change his eating habits and was under the impression, "If I am gonna die, I am gonna die eating and drinking what I love." I wish he wouldn't have felt that way so my children could have spent some time with him. :(

And if he died of diabetes complications, then my heart goes out to you. It is not a happy way to go. :angel:

Thank you Addie. Yes it was. Native American over 350 lbs, enlarged heart, etc.

But on a happy note, he is the one who started cooking with me when I was a little. :)

And on subject, he was a picky eater. Only the bad for you foods and never any rabbit food. :)

Thank you Addie. Yes it was. Native American over 350 lbs, enlarged heart, etc.

But on a happy note, he is the one who started cooking with me when I was a little. :)

And on subject, he was a picky eater. Only the bad for you foods and never any rabbit food. :)

Funny you would say that. Both my grandfather and father were Native Americans and yet they were like pencils. I sure didn't take after them. :angel:

This thread is going south. Anyway. My grandfather was about 350 +. Never had any issues. No cholesterol, no diabetes, no gout... Lived to be 86, died from pneumonia, one of his lungs did not work. I have all of those and I am only 200, way too much for my height though. How does it work? Where is it coming from?

This thread is going south. Anyway. My grandfather was about 350 +. Never had any issues. No cholesterol, no diabetes, no gout... Lived to be 86, died from pneumonia, one of his lungs did not work. I have all of those and I am only 200, way too much for my height though. How does it work? Where is it coming from?

Charlie, This thread is about as far south as I will get this winter! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

IMO our general decline in health has to do with processed food, stress and lack of exercise. No science involved just my opinion based on my own ancestors.

It also could be that they had some of these diseases and simply did not realize it because they never went to the doctor until they were ready to die.

I agree with you 100%, especially exercising. I used to walk at least 5 kilometers a day, hm what is it in standard? Something like 3 miles. Brisk walk. And that is just to get to and from work. Then If I had to go to store or went out somewhere there was just as much. Coming from store was the lifting exercise because one had to carry everything that was bought by hand. Also I have never ate as much as I eat now. There was simply not that much food available growing up. I came to US I was 150 lb. I think with in the first year I gain about 30 lb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom