Dad blasted little **** ants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Miss Katie...

The ants are coming from outside your house. An insecticide sprayed outside your house..especailly in the kitchen area will solve the problem. You may have to spray every so often.

We lived in Florida several times, and particularly in Miami it was always a war with insects.

Agree with those who say get professional advice, at least at the start. They will come, look at the place, and a respected exterminator will give you great advice. They can evaluate your problem and help to solve it. Sure it will probably mean a trip to your home by one of their exterminators, and maybe repeat visits every so often. But they will also telll you how to keep the beasty population down between visits, and maybe tips about how to prevent the critters access.

Have done exterminating about the house myself, but for minor infestations. Once you feel the bugs have won, in my opinion, it is time to call in the bug marines.

Good luck.

:) Diatomaceous earth (DE): Several DE formulations are commercially available. These products contain fossilized siliceous (silicon-containing) skeletons of aquatic diatoms (algae) of various shapes and sizes (<1 to 34 microns). DE formulations predominantly are made up of noncrystalline or amorphous silicon dioxide. Although the exact mode of action of DE products is not known, it is believed that DE kills insects and insect relatives by absorbing and abrading the water-proofing, waxy outer covering of the skin (cuticle). Absorption and abrasion to the waxy layer of the cuticle leads to water loss and subsequently death due to dehydration. DE products are most effective on soft-bodied insects or insect relatives. Because the mode of action is mechanical, insects and insect relatives may not develop resistance to this natural product.
You can get the food grade version of this which means its safe to pets and I read it works on it works on hard shelled insects like ants,beetles including scorpions because it cuts thru the shell and then does what it says above, just mix some up with powdered sugar and they carry it home.Takes some time but it works

Last edited:
When we had problems in Oregon, we resorted to Terro as well and neither of our kitties or the dog bothered it. I did try to put it in places they typically didn't wander though ... like under the stove and the fridge or at the back of the counter top where they knew better to go :) .

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom