DO this for Dove and her son

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDP

Senior Cook
This is in response to Dove's message regarding her son being diagnosed with Luekimia. Prayers are great, but if you would really like to do something go to the website below and become part of the National Bone Marrow Registry. I have been part of this program for 15 years. In August of 2005 I was selected as a match for a 63 year old gentleman. After going through the process he recovered and was able to get back the life he once enjoyed. This was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done in my life.

Join the Registry - National Marrow Donor Program Registry of donors

God Bless you and your family Dove,

JDP

...and God Bless You, JDP, for this kind of heads up. I tried to register two years ago when Michael Brecker was dagnosed with a condition that eventually turned to leukemia and recently took his life. Unfortunately, they told me I had passed the age where they would allow me to donate, but I hope everyone younger than 62 will go on line and register...

ChefJune said:
...and God Bless You, JDP, for this kind of heads up. I tried to register two years ago when Michael Brecker was dagnosed with a condition that eventually turned to leukemia and recently took his life. Unfortunately, they told me I had passed the age where they would allow me to donate, but I hope everyone younger than 62 will go on line and register...

Thats what made DH become a donor too....Michael Brecker. I unfortunately cannot be a donor, but I will be when I can. I am on the UK donor register for any useful bits when I pop my clogs though ;)

My friend's grandson had cancer and needed a bone marrow donation. Some people who could have been tested told me that they, or the family, would have to pay a substantial amount of money for the test. I wonder if this is the case all over.

I believe there is a $65 fee. There are some places that have funds that cover all or a portion of this.

JDP

Another way to differ the cost if there is any is to speak to your employer. See if they would sponsor you or maybe even sponsor a drive for all the employees. Many companies today are looking for ways to be more socially responsible and they could get some type of news coverage if they were to do something like this.

JDP

Another way to help anyone who needs Platelets is to donate. I am going to look into this..one of my friends that work at Cost co donates and so does her husband. John is going through Platelets very fast. And blood too.
Marge

Platelet Donations

Back
What Are Platelets?
Your blood is made up of several components, the fluid that surrounds your blood cells is called plasma; it contains proteins, coagulation factors and other metabolites. The different types of cells in blood are the red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. The platelets are the cells that help to form a clot and keep you from bleeding.

What Do Platelets Do?
Most of the platelets in the body are stored in the bone marrow, liver, and spleen. When the number of circulating platelets is decreased, the body responds by sending platelets from storage areas into the blood circulation. There are a large amount of platelets in the circulating blood as well.

Who Needs Platelets?
Patients receiving chemotherapy and/or radiation treatment and those who are having a Bone Marrow Transplant, have especially low platelet counts and can bleed very easily. We need people to give platelets to maintain an adequate supply for these patients.

How Do We Get Platelets?
When a unit of whole blood is collected from a donor, only one unit of platelets can be made from that donation. As you can imagine, with the great need of the patients who require platelet transfusions, many more must be collected. Using a blood cell processor, at least six units of platelets can be collected from one donor in a Plateletapheresis donation.

The procedure takes approximately two hours. The donor will have a needle in each arm for that amount of time. In order to have a successful apheresis procedure, the donor must have very good veins. The blood will flow from one arm to the collection instrument where the platelets are removed and the balance of the blood is returned to the donor in the other arm. Sterile plastic software is used in the blood cell processor to collect the platelets from the donor. The donor's blood is never in contact with the instrument itself -- so there is no risk of being exposed to another person's blood.

Who Can Donate?
The requirements for donating platelets are the same as for a regular blood donation, except that a platelet donor cannot have aspirin or other anti-inflammatory drugs, like ibuprofen, for at least 36 hours prior to the donation. These drugs greatly weaken the effectiveness of platelets and therefore of platelet transfusions. And of course the donor must have very good veins in both arms.

Does Blood Type Matter?
Since there are no red blood cells in a platelet product, we are not limited to using the same donor blood types as with red cells.

Make an appointment Today!
Since the process of donating platelets takes two hours and we have a limited number of spaces, we must closely monitor our times of donation. Plateletapheresis donations are scheduled by appointment only. We have appointment times Monday through Friday starting at 7:30am, 8:00am, 10:00am, 10:30am, 12:30pm, 1:00pm, and 3:00pm. Our Saturday appointment times are at 7:30am, 8:00am, 10:00am, and 10:30am.

To make an appointment or for any questions, e-mail us or call (323) 669-2441.

I signed up for the bone marrow registry about 12 years ago. When I lived in California I was a regular platelet donor (I am loaded with them and could give twice what most people gave in half the time--they called me a platelet making machine), but I haven't found a center here yet. I'm sure there must be a place in Charlotte. I need to check on that.

:) Barbara

I don't see a center near me to become a bone marrow donor. However, there used to be a blood donation center in the neighboring city and I will see if they obtain platelets.

Just a note too........ I recommend if at all possible for you to donate your organs also to save a life. My mother suffered kidney failure and received a kidney, her sister was on the list but died before one was found and ultimately I have inherited their medical condition and will possibly have to deal with this somewhere down the line. Above all.... make your wishes be know to your loved ones because even though you may request to be a donor and have that on the back of your license its ultimately up to your loved ones left behind whether or not to donate them.

In Canada the Canadian Blood Services are responsible for blood, bone marrow, plasma, platelets and financial donations.

Each year, hundreds of Canadians need bone marrow transplants to treat potentially life-threatening illnesses. Fewer than 30% of these patients will find a family member with compatible bone marrow to donate. For the rest, an unrelated donor is the only available source of bone marrow. The Unrelated Bone Marrow Donor Registry locates compatible, committed, healthy, unrelated donors for Canadian bone marrow patients and for patients around the world. Canadian Blood Services - Société canadienne du sang - Financial Gifts

I hope that everybody at very least has signed to be an organ donor. Help others even when you are gone.

I thought that this was interesting :
Canadian Blood Services - Société canadienne du sang - Give before you go!
Give before you go!
Don’t let your travel plans sideline you from saving lives: please give before you go! Call 1 888 2 DONATE (1-888-236-6283) to book your appointment.
Did you know?
right-arrow-red.gif
If you spend time in a region affected by malaria, you will be temporarily deferred from donating blood.
spacer.gif

right-arrow-red.gif
Depending on the length of your stay in an affected region, this deferral can last from six months to three years.
spacer.gif

right-arrow-red.gif
Popular tourist destinations (Dominican Republic, Mexico, Jamaica, etc.) have some regions where malaria exposure is a risk.
spacer.gif

right-arrow-red.gif
Last year, we had to temporarily defer over 40,000 donors due to potential exposure to malaria.

Back
Top Bottom