How much are you paying for gas/heating oil where you live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no car

i have no car as i do not drive. i make sure to give the person driving me somewhere , money for gas. everyone complains about the price.

the gas for my house is paid by my son in the moble home park rent. probably around 100 a month. keeps going up per unit, i think. i really cut back on using the heater.so it doesn't get to high.

can't imagine the bill for air cond. this summer.

i grocery shop once a month and can really see things going up and up. where i used to spend $300 a month, last one was $380. that is not however all food. it is pet food, litter, over counter meds, paper goods and cleaning supplies. my del. charge has stayed the same for two years ie $4.95 . can't take a cab for that. and they put it in my kitchen.

i know my daughter who is self employed is really having a tough time. people are cutting back everywhere they can.

babe:-p:-p

$3.38 for a gallon of low octane unleaded. Yes, we are cutting back on driving. I may venture out once or twice a month. Dh is declining jobs. He currently works part time 2 miles from home but the majority of his business has been a 45 minute drive one way. He is no longer taking those out of county jobs.

home heating costs are mainly our time, we heat with wood. Due to the increasingly high winds we have been having, dh cut down 11 trees close to the house and that has turned out to be about a 3 year supply of firewood.

I used to heat my home with wood. That's a lot of hard work so hubby and you are getting a workout as well as a warm house.

Ok, so now I know I'm not the only one feeling the pinch. That's kind of what I was wondering. DH's gas is $150 a week (he fills up 3 times a week), I cut mine down to $20 a week, then oil is $200 a month on our "budget plan". And electric is $200 a month. When I added it up, that's over $1000 a month just on energy, before any groceries! Luckily I don't have to work, I stay home with our son, and DH is trying to get the go ahead to telecommute one day a week to save one day's driving, but for everyone who has no choice but to drive to work in a long commute, I feel for them- and us!

I wish everyone the best and hope things get better soon- either lower prices or higher wages down the road.

Last edited:
It cost me 75$ to fill my pickup yesterday (3/12) @3.24 gallon. My heating bill for last month was right at 600$-in all fairness, its been a very cold winter, but geez this is getting ridiculous.:mad:

We have been using our wood stove a lot more the second half of this winter, now that I have taught DW how to start fires in it. It is great coming home each night to a roaring fire and a toasty house.

regular is just over $3 a gallon here, or roughly 80 cents a litre.

geez, loprraine, you're paying almost $4.13 a gallon!!! yikes!!! :shock:

My husband just sold his semi-truck last week, just in time diesel has gone to $3.80 a gallon, soon to be $4 I'm sure. He was working 16 hour days to fill up the thing for $400 and bring home $150 for the day. He starts a new job this weekend, driving someone else's truck, leaving the worry of diesel behind, except to heat the house. I think we paid about 3.40/gal or something last month to fill that tank. I'm so glad winter is leaving. It's too expensive to be warm! We will be looking into a wood burner for next winter.

r2554882833.jpg

Tue Mar 11, 9:54 AM ET

PriceS vary from city to city. Some are up to about $4.09 in CA.

I think DH paid $3.15 a gallon the other day when he filled up the Chevy truck. He heats his workshop with propane, and he paid $3.15 a gallon last time he filled up the tank.
Our house is all electric, and very energy efficient. We are on a plan where we pay the same amount each month, and presently it's $135.

Last edited:
I`m glad you mentioned Propane, I use the 19Kg tanks in the Lab, and Pay 15 GBP for them each (that`s about 30 dollars a tank), I wondered what you guys payed for yours?
although mine Is delivered to the door and carried up to the second floor.

I also pay 3.20 for 5 litres (a gallon) of Paraffin (kerosene I think you call it), what do you pay over there?

My house is big and old and not energy efficient. I think I average about $350/mo for gas and electric (and another $50 for water). That's for 5 people all the time and 6-10 people every weekend so it looks like utilities are still much less down here. We don't have much of a winter but the summer months can be brutal - a/c runs non-stop at least 4 months out of the year.

I was reading Mother Earth News about installing solar panels for hot water supply. That would be a huge savings for me with all the showers and laundry. Has anybody else done this? Is anyone else making energy-saving improvements to your home? I'd love some tips.

We are paying £1.10 a litre for diesel & £1.04 litre for petrol and the govt is just putting the tax on fuel up by .5p a litre. The tax on our fuel is the majority of the cost of fuel - they keep it up to be "environmentally friendly"

just for an f.y.i. for this thread, 1 gallon = 3.785 litres.

loprraine, that's around 7 bucks a gallon!!!!

i'd always promised myself that if gas hit the $3 mark, i'd start taking the bus. well, it's here. i'm gonna try to psyche myself into it for next week.

since it would be crazy to try to continue my work hours: 70hrs/week, including 10 for commuting by car, i'm gonna have to cut back on the overtime, which sucks.

i would be adding 5 more hours if i take the bus, or it could be seen as 5 less hours to be at home with my family. so the o.t.'s gonna go.

it's either work more and pay it out in gas, or work less and bring less home, but save on gas.

JANE! stop this crazy thing...called life.

I remember when i was in High School my teacher told me that Hemp was uses as fuel to run cars and that it became elegal for some reason but i don't remember why i just know she was saying it would be way cheaper if we used it

Back
Top Bottom