Is it just me, or does Costco seem overpriced?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find Costco more expensive than Sam's club. But the quality is a bit better. But then if am already buying plastic spoons, why bother looking for better quality. I do have very good quality spoons, I just want something cheap to use so it can be thrown away and I go not fave to wash the dishes.

Our local Costco has samples every day and a lot of seniors go there for the snacks. Costco doesn't seem to mind.

If it brings people into the store, there is a very good chance they buy something.

I used to be a "Sample Lady" at a local grocery store back home. Just Fridays and Saturdays. After working your cart for a couple of weeks you got to know the regulars. Soon enough you learned to let your sample supply run low when it was getting to be about "that" time, then replenish after the hungry vultures had moved through. Most people were perfectly happy with one taste, but we had a few that were more like teen-aged boys - they could eat you out of house and home before you could blink! :LOL:

Once in Publix I saw an old man and woman preparing (setting up) a complete meal in the cafe.
Everything in front of them came from free samples at the seafood counter.
They were not bothered as well.
I guess its best to pick your battles.

I find Costco more expensive than Sam's club. But the quality is a bit better. But then if am already buying plastic spoons, why bother looking for better quality. I do have very good quality spoons, I just want something cheap to use so it can be thrown away and I go not fave to wash the dishes.

It is more. But for a good reason. For example spices.
Costco sells McCormick and Sam's sells Tones.
Take a look at the meat displays. Costco looks superior and they seem to be superior. I know Costco meat blows our grocery store out of the water when it comes to meat quality.

One thing I don't think was discussed is Costco's Connection magazine.
It is in these pages that your are informed about Costco products and stringent testing on any manufacturer wishing to be a Costco vendor.
Kinda nice to know more about your purchases.

Ok. Well, this definitely seems to be one of those things that varies by location. But I'll give it a chance for a while - or at least until my membership expires. I do have the executive plan, which I felt to be rather spendy. So I was expecting a bit more than what I've seen so far.

And I don't mean to offend, but I certainly couldn't see going all the way to Costco to eat a hot dog for $1.50. I'd much rather enjoy a nice, quiet lunch in the park across from where I work. Costco... the place is a zoo. :wacko:

Our Costcos are a madhouse on the weekends, I usually stay clear at those times. On the weekdays they still do a good business, but you can get in and out quickly.

Being an affluent suburb area this is pretty much the case at every store, crazy on the weekends and relatively calm on the weekdays.

We nevah go to Costco on the weekends.

When I have, it seems to be multi generation family outings throughout the store, and each basket is an isle wide with all the family members. Ack!!

If I have to go to Costco I usually get there about 15 minutes before they close. Never, ever on weekends.

Oh. And by the way your Costco membership is good at any Costco outside of the U.S.

Last edited:
If I have to go to Costco I usually get there about 15 minutes before they close. Never, ever on weekends.

Oh. And by the way your Costco membership is good at any Costco outside of the U.S.

I'll remember that next time I'm in Japan...do you think I could get my TP on as a carryon?:LOL::ROFLMAO:

Check out some of the Costcos in Japan videos on YouTube. Besides many of the popular Kirkland products on the shelves they've also got many interesting and very expensive regional items as well.......$25 for a watermelon???

Thanks, I'll do that. Was it a watermelon cube?...I think that is clever.

I have the Executive membership and the extra cost pays for itself in our case. It does help to be able to buy large quantities.

I went back to a regular membership, I no longer live close enough for the Executive Card to pay for itself.

You can even get a refund on your membership any time during the year if you wish to discontinue.

And speaking of refunds I wonder what happens to the thousands of returned merchandise? Do they send them to outlet stores?

Last edited:

I hear ya. Today, Costco and those type stores have more and faster checkout counters. Years past, there were long check out lines because of vendors buying huge quantities of food from Costco, for their livelihood business. I was there to purchase just a few items. It took 20 minutes to reach the checkout counter. :LOL:

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has mentioned their whole rotisserie chicken for $4.99! That's a pretty good deal and it tastes great.

You can even get a refund on your membership any time during the year if you wish to discontinue.
And speaking of refunds I wonder what happens to the thousands of returned merchandise? Do they send them to outlet stores?

Usually the vendor gets it back. If its food, they throw it away.

I hear ya. Today, Costco and those type stores have more and faster checkout counters. Years past, there were long check out lines because of vendors buying huge quantities of food from Costco, for their livelihood business. I was there to purchase just a few items. It took 20 minutes to reach the checkout counter. :LOL:

Its different here. Few vendors shop at Costco. They shop at Sams. I have yet to run into anyone buying products for resale.
It could be because I go in the afternoon and try my best to avoid going on weekends.

I don't think anyone has mentioned their whole rotisserie chicken for $4.99! That's a pretty good deal and it tastes great.

We had it last night. Great and plenty left for additional dishes.
$10 pizza is a good buy for a quick dinner.

I shopped the meat department before my membership ran out. I don't necessarily miss Costco.

So, I take it you're not fond of Costco.
One less person in line, in front of me, sounds just fine.

Last edited:

I buy 6 rotisserie chickens every time we are there. They freeze well, but nothing beats sitting in the parking lot and eating one while it's still hot. I'd get more, but I can't get more in my cooler.

I buy 6 rotisserie chickens every time we are there. They freeze well, but nothing beats sitting in the parking lot and eating one while it's still hot. I'd get more, but I can't get more in my cooler.
What a great idea! Our Costco even has a few picnic tables at the edge of the parking lot, next to some woods.

When I have, it seems to be multi generation family outings throughout the store, and each basket is an isle wide with all the family members. Ack!!

This past Sunday Rob wanted to go to Costco. I said "are you sure, it'll be a mad house?" It was just as you described, just like everyone was having a family reunion at Costco! Luckily Rob's really good at saying "EXCUSE ME" loudly with a big smile on his face, he's really great at making his way through crowds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom