Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A guy made me cry over Christmas at the store.
My 4 year old (not quite yet at the time) was getting cranky. Lunchtime, busy store, toys, snacks all around him. We were about done, he spots the candy Daddy put in the cart. I wont let him have any before lunch. He starts up. And keeps going. LOUD.
I walked away into the next aisle with sheer embarrasment and to chill out...... Dad is better at chilling him out. I walk past an older guy saying to his wife "i'd just smack the kid".....he didn't know I was with the offending screamer.
Now you know darn well if I HAD smacked him, that same guy woulda called the cops. And if I had given in and given him candy at 11:30 to shut him up, you bet he would have snarled at me for giving in! I really wanted to smack the guy!!!!
Oh thank you thank you for this thread!
People wonder why I dont take my kids anywhere. I'm afraid to!!!

A guy made me cry over Christmas at the store.
My 4 year old (not quite yet at the time) was getting cranky. Lunchtime, busy store, toys, snacks all around him. We were about done, he spots the candy Daddy put in the cart. I wont let him have any before lunch. He starts up. And keeps going. LOUD.
I walked away into the next aisle with sheer embarrasment and to chill out...... Dad is better at chilling him out. I walk past an older guy saying to his wife "i'd just smack the kid".....he didn't know I was with the offending screamer.
Now you know darn well if I HAD smacked him, that same guy woulda called the cops. And if I had given in and given him candy at 11:30 to shut him up, you bet he would have snarled at me for giving in! I really wanted to smack the guy!!!!
Oh thank you thank you for this thread!
People wonder why I dont take my kids anywhere. I'm afraid to!!!
Awww Suzie, we all get to go through really embarrassing stuff with our kids. But when it's happening, it's horrible. (It's really bad when it's one of your relatives who make the remarks!)

Don't know it alls just bug ya!!!!
Who really in the end knows the perfect way to raise a child. They are all different. If these people are so much better at it, where is thier book and millions of dollars... since apparantly they are so willing to share such priveliged info with us in the middle of McDonalds!!!!
(And I bet thier kids are crackheads):ohmy:

It's been a long time since I've taken my children out with me. (The youngest is 33.)

But, when I did I knew they would be restless and have "issues."

Whenever I see a mother with a small child who is having challenges I chalk it up to the child being out past nap/food time, etc. As any of us who have been mothers know, those two categories are prime for difficulties.

I have had my share of children in tow when shopping, etc. It's not easy, but we made it through it.

Being a mother is the most difficult and rewarding job in the world. We are only paid by the hugs and kisses of our children. Does that not make us the richest people in the world?!!!

I think I don't get paid enough and I should go wake someone up for a hug!!!! :)

When I see a parent struggling with a child, I just smile and say, "Been there!". If I didn't love my kids so much, one of these days I would just take my three year old and hand her over and say, "You know so much, show me!".

Suzie,
never be embarrassed by your children, after all they are in the process of learning lifes rules..Since I had the wonderful adventure of taking care of my grandkids I never frown at a mom and here kiddies nor make mean remarks or rush out of a store to get away from them..I always try to smile at those babies and their mommy, I know what a hard job it is to try to get things done with a tired and hungry little one..That is why I feel a smile and sometimes a hi there helps that tired and frazzled mom and her kids feel life ain't all that bad...You have to look at those youngsters and their parents and think, how would I feel if those were my babies? And yes we don't get paid in dollars, but believe me, those baby hugs and kisses, looking at those beautiful faces as they sleep..There is not enough money in the world to take the place of that...Enjoy them and the ups and downs, soon enough you will ask, where did the time go? I wish I had it back..
kadesma:)

If you read any of the "expert" childcare books - they all have a different theory, often very contradictive. At my playgroup we have several children who are very individualistic and when when seek advice, it so interesting how they respond with cliches & not very good advice.

I believe every child is individual and there is no one answer except to try be positive (how difficult is that) and reward the good things.

This all reminds me of something my sister did when she was maybe 3 years old. My religion encourages a fairly conservative dress code and so most people don't wear sleeveless clothing. One day in Wal-Mart my sister saw someone wearing a tank top and yelled and pointed at her saying, "Mom! Look! Not modest, not modest!". My mother was mortified! :LOL:

When I was still a baby (don't know how old), my parents, sister and grandmother went on a trip across Canada and back through the Norhern States in a trailer. When we were stopped at a camp Mom would cook but while travelling they ate in restarants. Anway, I guess they stopped for lunch and my Mom had already fed me. They went into this busy restaurant and I was in a baby seat and was acting up terribly. People were looking at our table and making comments so my Mom (who wanted me to sleep), put the seat, with me in it, under the table with a soother and a toy or two.

Well, the same people who wanted me to shut up were now astounded that a Mother would be so crass as to put her child under the table. Even the waitress commented I guess. But I was happy as a clam and fell asleep.

Apparently we ate in the trailer a lot more after that!!! Mom was apparently less mad at me for being cranky as she was at the people in the restaurant.

OK, my freaking browser is doing it AGAIN! It was fixed briefly and now is on the fritz again. I'm more convinced than ever that this has nothing to do with my computer and is some stupid weirdness from somewhere else.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!!

It won't load DC or any of Andy R's sites. Gives me a timed out error. And in all the places I've gone asking for help, everyone is baffled.

It won't load DC or any of Andy R's sites. Gives me a timed out error. And in all the places I've gone asking for help, everyone is baffled.

This may be obvious but have you looked at the security settings, it may be may be that forums are blocked somehow. Things like also sometimes happen with us because the firewall is blocking it and asking permission to access on another login all together (we each have our own logon). It is usually the boys and then I go to my name to find the request waiting there.

One of the small children - the little boy whom I used to tutor at the school gets this way.

He gets so ticked off mad and angry with someone else who made him upset in the first place and he'll vent out and throw these violent temper tantrums.

One of my tutoring sessions with him was one that had me see a different side of him - one that scared me half to death!

He came downstairs mad from his classroom on this particular day, the pencil that he was using, the lead point broke. He threw it across the room in a fit of rage!! Them he came over toward me. He lashed out and started punching me in the face! He was really tripping out!! He didn't hurt me at all though.

I had to gently grab his fists and ask him why was he so mad. "Because people MAKE me mad!!!", he shouted. He sat down and started crying! Trying to smooth him and get him out of his bad mood, I kindly told him that he shouldn't vent his anger out on me because I was not the one who made him mad in the first place and that I'm there to try to help him, not hurt him. Then he became very appoligetic. And he wiped away his tears. He was an emotional wreck!

He hugged me and I hugged him back. and we continued on with the reading session. But you know me - I just didn't have the heart to be mad with him!!
I felt very sorry for him that he's probably going through some difficult times.

I didn't tell anyone about this incident because I did not want the boy to be banned from school. "Are you going to tell anyone that I "beat you up?", he then asked. He knew that it was the wrong thing to do.

I told him that I wouldn't But I told him that he shouldn't get so violent all the time. Of course, he wanted to know what the word means and I had to explain it to him. I never really knew what had set him off.

I was told that he has personal issues and behavioral problems at home. He told me that he was adopted. Whatever problems that he had before he was adopted, I can get a sense that he might not know who his biological parents are or something like that.

Something might have happened to him that he's having a hard time trying to deal with.

I then asked him to please go pick up the pencil that he so violently threw across the room. He did. He IS a sweet, kind and happy little boy. Just don't make him mad! The Hulk come out in him and he turns into a raging angry little monster!! Haha!!

Either or, he's still just a little kid, and little kids can get emotional just like adults sometimes do. I love him just the same!

Last edited:
Andy has other sites?? Anything we DC'ers need to know about???

pds - go to the page that lists all the forums - scroll to the bottom - list is right there in link form. :cool:

Other recommended forum communities:
Cooking Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum
Sailing Forum - Aquarium & Reef Forum
Royal Forum - Volkswagen Touareg Forum
Early Retirement Forum - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Whitewater Kayaking & Rafting Forum - Yoga Forum
Interference - U2, Pop Culture & Social Responsibility Social Knowledge Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom