your day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
mine was simplistic-scouring pavement with my sneakers & putting an avon order into a cute bag to give to my customer.
your today/tomorrow?

You sell Avon? So do I. :)

My day was a typical work day...now we're trying to decide what to eat tonight.

Katie E said:
Thursday is laundry and housecleaning day here. Also spent some time planning menus for May and putting together the grocery list for that.

Miss Katie...

Menu and grocery list for May:ermm: You and Mr Buck gonna hitch up the wagon and go in to town? Better add two gallons of whiskey to the list. Ya can't be runnin out:LOL:

I had short ribs with 50 (yes 50) cloves of garlic tonight:-p

Uncle Bob said:
Miss Katie...

Menu and grocery list for May:ermm: You and Mr Buck gonna hitch up the wagon and go in to town? Better add two gallons of whiskey to the list. Ya can't be runnin out:LOL:

Yep, May. I usually have our menus planned for each quarter of the year, but I got lazy during this year's first quarter. I'll catch up.

Part of my level of organization came from running a house with, at one time, 8 children, a husband, and me with a full-time job. I think I know every shortcut in the book and may have invented a few of my own.

As far as the groceries, we live in a very rural area, with the closest reasonable grocery shopping market about 30 miles away. The next best is about 150 miles away. I shop every two weeks, so I make my trips count.

I'm also a very unusual female, in that I HATE to shop and will create efficient ways to minimize the discomfort. Ask Buck, he'll tell you.

Whiskey? That is what I need after an 8-hour day of shopping for supplies and Buck always makes sure I have some when I get home. It's his job to make dinner on those nights.

I'm trying to get over a nasty sinus infection. Houston is full of all kinds of airborne junk right now (grass, weeds, and tree pollen and mold spores not to mention probably some air pollution as well) and I'm allergic to all of it. I see an ENT doctor tomorrow and hope to get some kind of relief. Other than feeling yuck and taking a two hour nap this afternoon (which is so unlike me)not much is going on. Kudos to you Katie E. for being so organized--I hear that Kentucky is just around the corner anytime you want to stop by and give me some tips!!! :):):)

Wow, Katie, I'm impressed! Do you plan your meals by the day - or just a general plan of 90 different meals in a quarter? And if you plan by the day...do you stray from the plan?

callie said:
Wow, Katie, I'm impressed! Do you plan your meals by the day - or just a general plan of 90 different meals in a quarter? And if you plan by the day...do you stray from the plan?
There are 90 different meals per quarter. Except, April is our "E" month. We rate our recipes. The highest rating is an "E," which stands for "excellent." In order to earn this rating, the dish has to be relatively easy to prepare (although, sometimes, complexity is excused due to the final "wow" end product), pleasing to the eye, tasty, and if it is something we would gladly serve to company. We're in the throes of this year's E dishes and havin' a ball.

I plan my menus with an eye to using seasonal and readily available ingredients and rarely stray from what I've planned. If the recipe makes more servings than we feel we can eat, I will make it and freeze half for a busy day sometime down the line or have it ready to bring to a friend who is feeling down, etc.

I take into account different holidays and try to showcase meals that "celebrate" them. I've been planning my menus like this for years and have found great comfort in knowing what will be cooked and when.

Most of the time, I will chop/cut whatever ingedients needed for the day's dish in the morning and have them ready for when dinner's prepared in the evening. Kind of an advance mies en place.

My whole process saves me money and time, both of which are valuable to me. Buck will tell you I'm the cheapest you-know-what in the Universe.

callie said:
My hat's off to you, Katie! Good job! I don't think I can be that organized...
Actually, callie, it's not too difficult. After doing it for a time or two, you kind of get caught up in the rhythm of it. It is easy to do. I've done it for so long I just can't understand hearing folks say, "I have no idea what to make for dinner." If I had a penny for every time I've heard that, I'd be rich.

One of the things Buck and I both appreciate about this method is that we are constantly trying new things and aren't into the same-old, same-old routine that is so common.

Cleaning here too, mostly. Baked a cake. Folded a million loads of laundry (or what seemed like a million). Swept the house a couple times. Broke the salt shaker and a mug. Got an early start on dinner. Kids, kids and more kids. About to go downstairs and make 2 mousse pies to take to a party tomorrow night, though I might do it in the morning instead.

Katie E said:
Thursday is laundry and housecleaning day here. Also spent some time planning menus for May and putting together the grocery list for that.

Thursday is also laundry and housecleaning day at our house. We had to go to Sam's this morning and get some of their large potatoes. We are going to make french fries on Saturday. We are having our grandson Josh's 5th birthday party here. He dad is going to grill the burgers.:)

luvs said:
mine was simplistic-scouring pavement with my sneakers & putting an avon order into a cute bag to give to my customer.
your today/tomorrow?

Wow, glad to hear your feeling better? On Wednesday you mentioned you were going to the hospital. In four hours or so you are now back at home and selling Avon! Glad your doing better :)

I’m a little new around here but it is nice to find that I share some of the same situational stuff that others here do.

I too came home from work without a clue what we were doing for dinner tonight. But I had spent the better part of the day going thru the summer menu with our Sous Chef and prepared a five week cycle. Then we hit an obstacle. Chef David just returned from a food show in Cleveland and wanted to try some new soup that just didn’t fit our budget due to an 85% food cost. The battle between gastronomic and economic is a brutal struggle.

I was attempting to tie up some loose ends because I’m taking a day off tomorrow based on the fact that I have too much accumulated vacation that if I don’t use I loose. Of course the phone rings as I’m putting on my jacket to leave the office. The catering chef tried to place his order for delivery tomorrow and his computer locked up. That call was followed by a manager from one of our dinning halls with the same problem.

Off with the coat and log back in to the server to locate the problem. The problem was with the manager who tried to order discontinued items. I had to copy the orders, remove the errant items, send the new orders, wait for an electronic confirmation and notify the innocent and guilty staff by email that their delivery will be there in the morning. I noticed that I was too late to drop off some insurance info at HR so I have to go back to campus tomorrow on my day off. I am considering a disguise least I be recognized and asked to solve just one more tiny little problem.

Dinner turned out to be chicken tenders and oven fries. The meal was simple and tasty enough with our homemade sauce for dipping. I don’t have anything planned for tomorrow yet but I’m going to make some pizza dough before I head out to HR so at least one meal this weekend will be set. I’m hopping to try a new recipe for orange beef sometime this weekend as well.

This was a good day for me, and tomorrow promises to be good too. Today I went to work for half a day. Then I went to the first day of a 2-day job fair for teachers. It went really well and I think there is a chance I will get a great new teaching job. Today's fair was a targeted one with 10 schools there, 6 of them elementary. We had the chance to be interviewed by the principals right there. Tomorrow is the 2nd day (another half day at work for me). It will be a general job fair with all 48 of the district's schools represented. Some of the schools are pretty far away so I hope to get a position at one of the closer ones.

:) Barbara

I went to work and spent most of the day with my eyes glued to the computer. Currently, I am working on writing a NEPA (National Environmental Protection Act) document, so that we can remove some hazard trees from one of our campgrounds and the surrounding road system. Whew, I am glad my summer job is outdoors. My fingers are tired from pounding the keys all day long.

But the awfulest thing is that we had to rush one of my coworkers off to the hospital. He was having a mild heart attack. Luckily, we were having CPR/First aid training today at the station. So, we had a few EMT's around. Plus many of our employees are EMT's. They are keeping him at the hospital to run some tests.

Once I got home a put some laundry in the wash, played with my dog, opened a beer, and popped a pizza in the oven. My brother called me from Sacramento. He is down at the same location that I was last week when I met with Dove.

Ok...you asked for it........Lets see.....woke up 1/2 hour before the alarm clock which totally ticked me off because I'd already set it ahead 15 minutes early so that meant I got up 1/2 hour early (5:45am). Stumbled into the shower and afterwards attempted to put on my face but realized the foundation was to come before the powder so.....hmmmmm shower didn't do the trick and wake me up so off to fix my ritual cup of hot tea. Well then the usual...take the dog out....give the little one his morning medicine....finish putting on face then attempt to blow dry hair while dog is jumping around like a maniac wanting me to shoot him with the blow dryer.......so that was 5 minutes lost indulging him. Woke the little one to get ready for school he hum hauled around so I sent in the dog and then had to break up that fight..... then rushed to make pancakes and then finished getting my hair done then took the dog back out then tried on not one but oh shoot at least 8 different outfit combinations before I said to heck with it and wore the last thing I put on. .... Oh how I can't wait till I can just start wearing my scrubs agian. Honestly, I don't know how you business women do it everyday.....I wasted at least 20 minutes even though I already had my outfit ironed and laid out for the day. Rushed little one to school came home and yes I ultimately changed my outfit again and then off to the gas station because I was almost on E. Drove like a mad woman until oncoming traffic came because I had 25 minutes to make it to work and I should of left 10 minutes earlier. Scrambled into orientation class at my new job....whew...thank goodness I was 5 minutes early and not everyone was even there yet. Dealt with the orientation thing but the person doing it really did entertain us and tell a lot of personal stories to make us laugh. NOTE: Instructor made quiche and it was my first experience and I loved it.
Got off work........rushed home because I was in fear of what I would find as a result of the pup being confined to the hallway. Yesterday he literally dug a hole in the drywall to our sons room. Granted it wasn't a huge hole but had I been a few hours later I think he'd of mastered the technique and succeeded in getting through. So wasn't as bad but a few lil accidents to clean but only after I took him out and for his walk to try and deal with the pent up energy he acquired. Answered the calls that came in ..... did homework.... straightened up the house because I didn't have time to do it this morning........fixed a quick supper.....actually sat down on the couch...awwwww and enjoyed some of the shows I pre-recorded.....grabbed a beer prior and total relaxation because DH took care of the young one and I just sat back and watched ;) . Oh and flash forward.....everyone went to bed took the pup out for the last time and I snuck upstairs and am currently trying to catch up on emails and other messages. Oh....and I'm enjoying a few doritos and another busch lite...LOL!

There you have it.....pretty much a day in the life of Sizz....at least for this day or should I now say yesterday ;) ....boy things used to run so much more smoothly :LOL:

Last edited:
amber said:
Wow, glad to hear your feeling better? On Wednesday you mentioned you were going to the hospital. In four hours or so you are now back at home and selling Avon! Glad your doing better :)
got stronger, went out browsing, though my docs want me to be hospilitized. soon.:ermm: i've spent most of my recent days sick, & i'm avoiding that hospital. dearly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom