How do you bake a potato?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use the Breville counter top oven for baking potatoes, rather than the big wall oven. For the two of us, most foods that are cooked in the oven go into the Breville (as long as they fit). It heats up in less than 5 minutes. A quarter sheet baking pan fits inside, so it gets used for roasting veggies, oven fries, etc.

I use the Breville counter top oven for baking potatoes, rather than the big wall oven. For the two of us, most foods that are cooked in the oven go into the Breville (as long as they fit). It heats up in less than 5 minutes. A quarter sheet baking pan fits inside, so it gets used for roasting veggies, oven fries, etc.

+1 for the Breville.

+1 for the Breville.

I don't own a toaster oven of quality. I bake my potatoes in my oven. It DOES seem a possible waste of energy to heat up that much oven space to bake a potato or two. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone's concluded one way or the other how much is lost or saved. ;)

Next QVC shopping channel idea will be an energy saving baked potato maker. Just wait.

Last edited:
I don't own a toaster oven of quality. I bake my potatoes in my oven. It DOES seem a possible waste of energy to heat up that much oven space to bake a potato or two. :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone's concluded one way or the other how much is lost or saved. ;)

Next QVC shopping channel idea will be an energy saving baked potato maker. Just wait.

The Breville or toaster oven of your choice does not heat up the whole kitchen. It preheats faster. I seriously considered replacing the old stove with a cooktop and just use the Breville for oven space. Now I wish I had.

The Breville or toaster oven of your choice does not heat up the whole kitchen. It preheats faster. I seriously considered replacing the old stove with a cooktop and just use the Breville for oven space. Now I wish I had.

Costs too much, he-he. I own a $29 toaster oven. I will use mine for frozen french fries maybe, not a baked potato. I bet using a fancy toaster oven would use as much electricity as baking a potato in an oven?

There are three ways to bake a potato. Oven, toaster oven, microwave. What about a baked potato cooker?

You all wait. They'll be a baked potato cooker on QVC before long. ;) Will it use less energy? Who knows?

Last edited:
Toaster oven takes up too much space on the counter, especially when one is also restricted to a countertop microwave. They have limited functionality because of the small size, so it won't work as a stand alone.

We have had several over the years, but now we just don't have enough counter space for it. We sold our most recent one (it was an inexpensive one) a couple of years ago, and don't really miss it. If I have to occasionally bake a lone potato, so be it. I try to plan for a baked potato when I'm baking something else, but I don't worry about it too much one way or the other.

In this neck of the woods, electricity is much more expensive than natural gas. For us, I think it makes more sense to use the gas oven rather than my toaster oven.

Back
Top Bottom