Do You Have A “Secret Weapon?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I am answering my own question once again here. But…
There is a huge misconception that Asian people eat cats and dogs.
They simply don’t.
I travelled up the Mekong, toured Malay, spent a night in a camp bed next to a vicious guy who would kill you as easily sleep and was dazzled by Thailand.
Not once, never ever did I see our expressions of pets on any menu anywhere. Never

I guess I am answering my own question once again here. But…
There is a huge misconception that Asian people eat cats and dogs.
They simply don’t.
I travelled up the Mekong, toured Malay, spent a night in a camp bed next to a vicious guy who would kill you as easily sleep and was dazzled by Thailand.
Not once, never ever did I see our expressions of pets on any menu anywhere. Never
Depends on where you are and how hungry someone is. I doubt it's the 1st choice of protein but I know if I was hungry enough with no other options I would.

That reminds me of when I was visiting my Uncle in CA, with my parents in the early 90s, and he took us on a tour of LA, and one of the sectors he showed us was the area known as "Little Saigon" - known this at that time, since it was the largest Vietnamese population, outside of Vietnam. He asked if there was anything we noticed about the neighborhood. We had no idea where he was going with it, but he eventually pointed out that there are no animals around the food dumpsters, anywhere behind all those buildings. I started looking, and he wasn't kidding! And it wasn't that clear anywhere after that, though I wouldn't have been looking, until he pointed it out.

For any Britishexpats on the site, feeling a bit nostalgic for the famous HP TV ad song. 🎶🎶

Thinking about it, a spoonful of HP on my plate of bacon, eggs and chips was quite tasty. 🥓🥚🙂

I'm inclined to believe both versions of stirring in one direction. One must not forget that so many things are handed down over the centuries that should science and historical reasons collide/meld does not mean one is correct and the other not.

As to the HP Sauce in the Virginia's - must be a hangover from your British roots. :whistling :flowers:
Well, either it's a myth that it makes a difference or it's not. It does make a difference - it would take longer and be less effective to stir back and forth or to alternate one direction and then the other - so it's not a myth.

@GotGarlic - if I could ask you to please re-read what Kenji says in your quote, you will find that the chef there actually confirms my statement
I really didn’t want to go spelling it out, but I brought up the attachment to Buddhism because it has relevance to how people use their hands.
It's not a myth, which is what I was referring to. Stirring back and forth or one way and then the other would work, but it would take longer and be less efficient. So stirring in one direction is good technique.

I made some brown sauce a few years ago and I may run out soon.
Brown Sauce (less sweet, mild, thick, darker brown, more savory, tangy, less spicy)
1 and 1/2 cups AC vinegar
2 lbs fruit (apples plums) (3 apples, 3 plums)
1 lb green/red combination tomatoes (4 medium red/green)
1 and 1/2 large onion
1/2 bulb of garlic
1/8th cup of fresh ginger
Simmer for an hour, then strain or mill it. It is the color of medium caramel.

1 cup tamarind paste made from pulp
2 T molasses
1 t salt
1 and 1/2 t turmeric powder
1/2 t chili flakes
1/4 t allspice

(nutritional information: 1200 calories for the whole recipe, makes about 50 oz)
Heat to a boil and taste. Refrigerate.

I think we complicate cooking a lot. It can be very simple to cook and eat if we choose to do that.

It's not a myth, which is what I was referring to. Stirring back and forth or one way and then the other would work, but it would take longer and be less efficient. So stirring in one direction is good technique.
Is it a myth is it not a myth?
I’m not going to argue the point.
I’m just saying that it changes not any taste whichever way you stir.
Think perhaps of it thusly.
I’m a left handed person, who has been taught all through my life that I should do things in the right way, such as stirring in a clockwise manner, whereas my instinct tells me to counter.
I am just trying to gently say that stirring the wok in a certain way was always about which hand you used for various reasons

I’m a left handed person, who has been taught all through my life that I should do things in the right way, such as stirring in a clockwise manner, whereas my instinct tells me to counter.
I am just trying to gently say that stirring the wok in a certain way was always about which hand you used for various reasons
I too am left-handed. Is there a thread on that subject I wonder?

I have a bottle of A-1, but I prefer Heinz 57 steak sauce, especially on a hamburger.
I completely forgot about Heinz 57 steak sauce. Often have that on hand as well. Believe the three of them are all in the same boat.

Edit:
Think from now on my "secret ingredient" will be one of those sauce mentioned and always stirring in one direction, but it will be a secret and I won't tell a soul! - no matter how much they beg me.

Last edited:
It is not a myth.

When does discussion become argument? I think we have different thresholds on that 😉
And I'm saying that it does. Stirring in one direction is massaging the meat more effectively, as Kenji said. Massaging the meat gives it that snappy texture we associate with certain sausages and dumpling fillings.* I should have included this in the post earlier.
Screenshot_20240130-075932_Reddit.jpg

The instruction doesn't say in which direction you must stir the mixture. It just says go in one direction. So it doesn't depend on handedness.

*I'm pretty sure I have a more thorough explanation of this in a cookbook downstairs, but I have to take DH to chemo now. I'll look it up later.

What is HP sauce? Sounds fascinating but I'm unfamiliar. On secrets, I've started using MSG in everything from Mexican to Asian to Southern cooking. Super tasty. I also really like the cheesy bite of nutritional yeast and have started using that to flavor soups/marinades/sauces.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom