Lemon Curd a la PF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apple Cider Vinegar in place of the lime juice...hmmmm:chef:

This recipe is in my collection of depression era items. From what I have read it was common in the late winter and early spring when all of the pie timber was exhausted. I have not made it but it sounds like it would make a decent pie.

[FONT=&quot]Poverty Pie[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 c. sugar
3 heaping tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 c. cold water
3 egg yolks (reserve whites)
1 whole egg
2 tbsp. butter
6 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mix sugar and flour in saucepan. Add water, egg yolks (reserve egg whites), whole egg, butter and vinegar. Cook until thick. Pour into baked 9 inch pie shell. For Meringue: Beat reserved egg whites until stiff. Add 4 tablespoons sugar, spread over pie. Put pie in a hot oven for a few minutes to lightly brown meringue.[/FONT]

Last edited:
My mother lived through the depression and continue to make some dishes for the family. She went from the Depression to WWII with rationing. No wonder she was glad to see the 50's come. :chef:

This recipe is in my collection of depression era items. From what I have read it was common in the late winter and early spring when all of the pie timber was exhausted. I have not made it but it sounds like it would make a decent pie.

[FONT=&quot]Poverty Pie[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 c. sugar
3 heaping tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 c. cold water
3 egg yolks (reserve whites)
1 whole egg
2 tbsp. butter
6 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 (9 inch) pie crust, baked[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mix sugar and flour in saucepan. Add water, egg yolks (reserve egg whites), whole egg, butter and vinegar. Cook until thick. Pour into baked 9 inch pie shell. For Meringue: Beat reserved egg whites until stiff. Add 4 tablespoons sugar, spread over pie. Put pie in a hot oven for a few minutes to lightly brown meringue.[/FONT]

Thanks Aunt Bea, I never did get around to Cider Vinegar Curd...now I know it's possible!

And if you don't have lemon, lime is sooo good too! Problem is it disappears so fast...

We are going to make Lemon Curd for the first time this weekend :)

We have found a recipe that we thought we would use but after seeing your recipe Fi...I think we will try yours instead!

We are making a big lemon curd tart in a 22cm quiche dish :chef:

Lemon Curd Recipe:
3 large eggs
1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons) (do not use the bottled lemon juice)
1 tablespoon (4 grams) finely shredded lemon zest
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces

In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water ,whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until blended. Cook, stirring constantly (to prevent it from curdling), until the mixture becomes thick (like sour cream
or a hollandaise sauce) (160 degrees F or 71 degrees C).This will take approximately 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and immediately pour through a fine strainer to remove any lumps. Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until the butter has melted. Add the lemon zest and let cool. The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Cover immediately (so a skin doesn't form) and refrigerate for up to a week.
Makes 1 1/2 cups (360 ml).

Sounds really delicious, PF, and not toooo fattening?....

I always want to try a cheater lemon curd using a can of condensed sweetened milk. Ever try that?

Sounds really delicious, PF, and not toooo fattening?....

I always want to try a cheater lemon curd using a can of condensed sweetened milk. Ever try that?

No, never have. This one is so good, I don't play with it. Shrek would have a fit.

Got a bunch of Costco limes, and used some to make lime curd. OMG. I used agave nectar instead of sugar, but it was wicked good!

I need to do that with the meyer lemons I got. So happy this has been such a favorite recipe.

I just kept adding agave and tasting. I think it was about half a cup. I did increase the limes to 6, and eggs to 4, along with a stick of butter.

Last edited:
Just retread this thread for fun. Have not yet made pastries using home made lemon curd. I have tomorrow off of work, and need to go to the store in the morning. I will pick up lemons. I will be dreaming about lemons tonight!:rolleyes:

Pst! Over here. Folks, when lemons go on sale, get a bunch, take the zest off with your micro plane and squeeze the heck out of the lemons.

Tightly wrap the zest in one teaspoons each. Measure by tablespoons the juice into ice cube trays. When solid, place in a zippy bag. Mark the bag so you know how much each cube is. Voilà! Lemon Curd year round and you have already done the hard work. And don't forget Lemon Meringue pie!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I like the pulp of the citrus in with my juice. I think it adds additional flavor and texture. I also have one of the old glass juicers like my mother had. It gets quite a workout in my kitchen.

I also do this with Florida oranges. They give the most juice. (California oranges are mostly for eating.) But you do have to be careful with getting the zest from them. Their rinds often leave something to be desired in the beauty department. I also have on hand orange and lemon extract. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom