Bourbon Pecan Pound Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
This is from Perfect Cakes by Nick Malgieri

For Alix:kiss:

2 1/2 c all purpose flour
1c packed brown sugar
1 c granulated sugar
2t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 pound butter - 2 sticks
4 large eggs
3 egg yolks
1/2 c kentucky bourbon
2 t vanilla extract
1 1/2 c finely chopped (not ground) pecans, tossed with 1T flour

10x for dusting (I made a glaze...)

12 c tube pan or bundt pan, buttered and floured

METHOD

Postition rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 325.

Place flour, sugar, bakign powder, and salt in the bowl of a heavy duty mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and add the butter. Beat on teh lowest speed for about 2 minutes or until the ingredients are well combined.

Meanwhile, combine the remaining batter ingredients except the pecans in a mixing bowl, mixing well.

Increase the mixer speed to medium and add one third of the liquid ingredients. Mix for 2 mintues, then stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl and beater. Add another third of the liquid, beat for 2 mintues, and scrape again. Finally, add the remaining liquid and beat and scrape as before.

Use a large rubber spatula to give the batter a final vigorous stir. Fold in the floured pecans, then scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.

Bake for about 65-75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the cake halfway between the side of the pan and the central tube emerges clean.

Cool the cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert onto the rack to finish cooling.

Just before serving, dust the cake generously with confectioners' sugar.

As I stated, I made a glaze, instead of dusting with 10x. I used about 3 c 10X, 1/3 c bourbon and enough heavy cream to make it glazing consistency.

I hope you enjoy it. It makes a very nice size cake, enough for the week if you keep it wrapped tightly.

Last edited:
Here's another one. I love the boubon but wanted to try different liquors.

Once for a party, I made this with rum and served it it with 'homemade' rum raisin ice cream. Well, I zapped the raisins in rum in the microwave, let it sit for about an hour and mixed it into softened Breyer's Vanilla. Refreeze.

Bourbon Pound Cake

1 1/2 c unsalted butter
2 1/3 c sugar
8 extra large eggs
3 3/4 c flour
4 t baking powder
1/2 c milk
2/3 c bourbon, rum, amaretto, grand marnier or whatever appeals to you at the time.
2 t vanilla

Cream butter uuntil light and fluffy. Add sugar, a little at a time, beating well after eadch addition. Add the eggs, one at a time beating 20-30 seconds after each addition. All this beating is very important.

Place the flour in a bowl and stir in the baking powder, set aside.

Measure the milk, bourbon, vanilla and combine. Tlhe milk will curdle

Add the dry ingred. and the liquor ingredients alternately to the creamed butter (1/3 at a time), beating only until just combined. Don't overbeat. Pour into a large buttered and floured bundt pan.

Bake at 325 for 1 1/4 hours. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn out on a rack to cool completely.

Hi

The recipe actually listed variations, too. Almonds with rum, and hazelnut with dark rum.

I agree, there are times when it's more important to use what you like, especially if you know the overall outcome will be unaffected.:)

I've always loved pound cake. All the kids in the neighborhood had the gooey metallic funny tasting icing on their cakes for birthdays, usually from the grocery store. I always asked for plain pound cake. I remember my mom explaining it to people because all the kids were expecting the decorated cakes that they would fight as to who would get the roses....bleech.

The memory of that icing gives me the shivers. :sick:

VeraBlue said:
This is from Perfect Cakes by Nick Malgieri

For Alix:kiss:

2 1/2 c all purpose flour
1c packed brown sugar
1 c granulated sugar
2t baking powder
1/2 t salt
4 large eggs
3 egg yolks
1/2 c kentucky bourbon
2 t vanilla extract
1 1/2 c finely chopped (not ground) pecans, tossed with 1T flour

10x for dusting (I made a glaze...)

12 c tube pan or bundt pan, buttered and floured

METHOD

Postition rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 325.

Place flour, sugar, bakign powder, and salt in the bowl of a heavy duty mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and add the butter.

How much butter please??

Half Baked said:
I've always loved pound cake. All the kids in the neighborhood had the gooey metallic funny tasting icing on their cakes for birthdays, usually from the grocery store. I always asked for plain pound cake. I remember my mom explaining it to people because all the kids were expecting the decorated cakes that they would fight as to who would get the roses....bleech.

The memory of that icing gives me the shivers. :sick:
I'm with you Jan! Birthday cake is icky!
I was born on Thanksgiving, so I had many pumpkin pies with
candles on top:chef:

VeraBlue - thank you so much for the recipe!!! YUM

I like bacardi rum, 151, to sit my slice of cake into and I love anyone who makes a good pound cake

Oops, I'm almost out of Bacardi, bourbon sounds good

Last edited:
I was goin to point that out but didn't want to embarrass you, haha, jk

I butter a slice of pound cake and grill it.

The cake

Thanx for that recipe. I think i will try making it(the cake, i mean).
Mel

Oh Vera, thank you so much! My youngest is allergic to pecans, so I will either have to leave them out (if she is eating this) or tell her to get lost while we are eating it. I LOVE pecans so I think the latter is the option we will choose.

Bourban Pecan Pound Cake

Thank you Vera Blue - I have to try this receipt - it sound delicious. I am not much of a Bourban fan but I like sweet things like Baileys Irish Cream etc.

I love pound cake and never thought of this before.

Thanks again.

shpj4 said:
Thank you Vera Blue - I have to try this receipt - it sound delicious. I am not much of a Bourban fan but I like sweet things like Baileys Irish Cream etc.

I love pound cake and never thought of this before.

Thanks again.

I don't taste overmuch bourbon in the cake itself, but I do taste it in the glaze I made.:ROFLMAO:

Enjoy it!

how did I miss this? as a scion of many southern people, I must not avoid making something so good that includes bourbon and pecans. thanks, Vera.

mudbug said:
how did I miss this? as a scion of many southern people, I must not avoid making something so good that includes bourbon and pecans. thanks, Vera.

This cake was perfect with a cup of cafe au lait after a soak in the hot tub. I think you'll love it, too!

mudbug said:
girl, there's some down-home in you even if you do live way up east. Which blues recording should I put on?

Would you consider Miles Davis instead?

And, I don't think I was supposed to live up here. I much prefer New Orleans!

not into Miles - too cool for me.

I'd rather listen to the oldies: Django Rheinhardt & Stephan Grapelli, Benny Goodman, Sidney Bechet, Louis Armstrong, Bud Freeman, or Ben Webster.

But NOLA is for everyone who wants to eat well and have a good ole time.

I have to say that any recipe by Nick Malgieri is worth the time and effort it takes to execute it. His desserts ROCK, and his recipes always work! :chef: and if he ever comes to your town to teach a class, sign yourself up. You won't regret it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom