Irish Whiskey Spice Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
This recipe is from one of the local noon news shows. I thought that it sounded really good. I have not made this recipe.

Irish Whiskey Spice Cake

INGREDIENTS

Cake
1 3/4 cups pecans, walnuts or hazelnuts
2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup butter (room temperature)
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
1/3 cup light unsulfured molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs (room temperature)
2 tablespoons Irish whiskey or Irish Mist liqueur
1 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon mace
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel

Custard Sauce
6 large egg yolks
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup Irish whiskey or Irish Mist liqueur

DIRECTIONS
To prepare the custard sauce, whisk all ingredients in a medium metal bowl. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water. Whisk until mixture is foamy, triples in volume, and holds shape in spoon (about six minutes). Remove from over water.

For the cake, spread nuts out on a pan. Bake at about 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes. Cool completely. Grind nuts in processor using pulsing action. Toss 1 1/2 cups nuts with 2 tablespoons flour in a small bowl. Dust bottom and 2/3 up the side of a 10-12 cup greased and fluted tube pan with remaining nuts. Cream butter until light. Add brown sugar and coffee powder, and beat until well blended. Beat in molasses and vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add whiskey and beat until very light. Sift flour, baking powder, spices, and salt into a bowl. Mix dry ingredients into butter mixture. Add orange peel and nut mixture, and beat for 30 seconds. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until tester comes out clean (about 45 minutes). Let cool.

Sift powdered sugar sugar over cake. Cut cake into thin slices. Arrange three slices on each plate, spoon custard sauce over. Garnish with fresh strawberries.

Recipe courtesy Chef Barbara Mikacich, Andiamo

Last edited:
SA that certainly sounds wonderful, rather a spice cake with an attitude. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, thanks

EDIT: Monday, Mar 22, SA no wonder the local Eugene market is charging $11.95 for a 7" version of this.

Last edited:
Very cool recipe,

I don’t do alcohol :rolleyes:, but I think that I will pass this recipe along to my folks - they will absolutely love it.

Thanks for posting, perfect St. Paddy’s Day dessert.

Happy cooking to all! :chef:

Back
Top Bottom