REC:Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
[size=+2]Doesn't this just look so scrumptious? I really like the idea of using a tart green apple, and the addition of ginger is a great touch too, I think :)
[/size][size=+2]
Apple Cinnamon Coffee Cake

[/size]

Prep: 15 min, Cook: 1:20

• 2-1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. salt (necessary)
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 Tbs. plus 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 lb. Granny Smith apples, or other tart green apples, peeled, cored, chopped
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg
Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter and flour a round baking pan. Mix first 7 ingredients and 2-1/2 tsp. cinnamon in a food processor or bowl. Add oil and process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer 3/4 cup of mixture to a smaller bowl and stir in remaining cinnamon. Set aside and reserve for topping. Add remaining ingredients to mixture in processor and process until just combined. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle reserved topping over top and bake about 1 hour 20 minutes, or until tester comes out clean when inserted into center. Transfer to rack and cool slightly.

This recipe serves 10 people. Due to the nature of this recipe, it adjusts the number of servings in multiples of 10 only.

Per serving: calories 441, fat 17.7g, 36% calories from fat, cholesterol 29mg, protein 4.7g, carbohydrates 67.6g, fiber 2.5g, sugar 43.7g, sodium 344mg, diet points 10.3.

ph12237.gif

Brianschef said:
Butter and flour a round baking pan.

8", 9", or maybe a springform pan... : )
Good spotting Brianschef, I missed that part of (or perhaps I'm just accustomed to only having two sizes of cake pans that I use for all my recipes :LOL:). Yes, I think a 9" or even a 10" would be a good size for this - thanks for spotting that Brianschef :)
How did you know that making coffee cake is one of my favorite things to bake? I have copied this recipe into my files and will be making it this weekend. Thanks!!
You're totally welcome Sierra, I love coffee cakes too!

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up! I am going to make 6 of these for an auction next week we are having at my husbands base, for the kid's Christmas Celebration this year! :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom