TNT Summer Berry Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
Berry season will soon be here! It's time to break out my favorite non-chocolate dessert.:LOL: It's not too sweet and scrumptious! Enjoy!

Summer Berry Cake
5 cups mixed berries (blue, rasp, or black, whatever is available, I've used unthawed frozen berries too and it worked just as well)
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 Tablespoon oil
1 Tablespoon orange peel, grated
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ¼ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
Powdered sugar
Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream

Place berries in 9x13x2 inch baking dish. Mix eggs, oil, orange peel, vanilla and sugar until well blended. Add flour, baking soda and salt to egg mixture, beat until smooth. Pour batter over berries and spread evenly. Bake at 350
°F for 35-50 minutes, until top is golden and tester in the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with whipped or ice cream.

Would strawberries work also, or are they too soft? I have a quart of them and some blueberries and blackberries.

Forgive me for sounding stupid here (I've got pain-killers on board and I must not be reading it right), but I was wondering about the berries while they're cooking in the oven. Will they rise and blend in with the batter while baking, or when the cake is done do you just flip it over out of the pan and voila there they'll be in all their glory? The recipe sounds scrumptious though, and I'll try it any-hoo, whether or not the berries stay on the bottom or float until they are mixed in with the batter.

Oh my, all the questions
marmalady said:
Much yum, corazon! Do you ever find that when you thaw frozen berries, you have tons of juice?
unthawed, is the way I use them
licia said:
Would strawberries work also, or are they too soft? I have a quart of them and some blueberries and blackberries.
I think they would be okay as long as you don't use too many.
thumpershere2 said:
Would this work with a box yellow cake mix? It sure sounds yummy, maybe will try it with rhubarb too.
shoot, I don't see why not.
Foodfiend said:
Forgive me for sounding stupid here (I've got pain-killers on board and I must not be reading it right), but I was wondering about the berries while they're cooking in the oven. Will they rise and blend in with the batter while baking, or when the cake is done do you just flip it over out of the pan and voila there they'll be in all their glory? The recipe sounds scrumptious though, and I'll try it any-hoo, whether or not the berries stay on the bottom or float until they are mixed in with the batter.
the berries kinda do both, I think. They do stay on the bottom but they also meld in with the batter a little bit. I've never tried flipping it but would grease the pan with butter if I wanted to try.

Thank you for the reply. It (the recipe) looks/sounds scrumptious and I can't wait to try it out.:)

Oh how did I miss this one!!:ohmy: Another surefire winner from Chef Cora!!:)
I have some frozen blueberries, or pretty soon we will go out to pick some wild mulberry in the country side... this is definetely my kind of cake, I will give it a try one way or another, thanks Cora!!

Back
Top Bottom