Yellow Cake Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Treklady

Cook
My family is now grinding our own grains. And we are making some wonderful things. We have made Biscotti, and Mexican Wedding Cookies, and they have all come our great, but now I want to experiment with our soft white flour.

however, everywhere I do a search for a scratch recipe the majority of them keep telling me to use cake flour. Now I know that the flour needs t be ultra light for a cake recipe.

Now to the question. Is my lightest fresh grain flour still too heavy to make cakes with, and will I have to purchase cake flour in the end?

I hope this is enough information.

Professional bakery chefs might say yes.....At my house.. day in and day out I say NO...Make you cakes with your flour and enjoy...Tell everyone else to 'suck a lemon':LOL:

I think there is a rule about using a bit of cornstarch with a/p flour to equal cake flour, but I don't remember how much per cup. I'll see if I can find it.

Treklady, if you feel that your lightest fresh grain flour is too heavy for your cake-making, just add 2 tablespoon of cornflour to make it lighter.

I used to spend a lot on flour until one day they had sold out of all but the heavier and very cheap budget supermarket own brand. What I found out is that it works! I have saved a lot of money using this flour for everyday cakes. I have even found some cakes to be a bit better with this "lesser" flour

Unless it is a recipe for a special cake, I always use regular all-purpose flour.....and did when I was baking and decorating cakes professionally too. I say use your flour and you will be delighted with the results!!

Back
Top Bottom