ISO Help with...Beef Loin, Top Sirloin appears boneless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Merry Christmas and happy holiday to you and yours.

We are attempting to do this 10.99lb above stated roast.
Don't know how to cook it, don't know for how long or at what temperature.
I got it at Von's, a California chain supermarket, and it was $72, on sale for $31. I know it'll feed an army but what do I do with it?
Mashed potatoes will accompany along with steamed broccoli.
Yorkshire pudding too in my new cast iron well seasoned deep vessel.
YT, I think I need your help here.......

Any help I'll thank you for in advance, cause I'm stuck here with a huge ole chunk of meat and am clueless as to how to prepare.

i think you're talking about pretty good piece of meat there. I'm not positieve, but is it the piece that comes from the middle of rib eye roast. If it is you must be very carefull not to over cook it. it would be good to start on the grill get those cris-cross lines going and then finish it in the oven. Or start like at 450 deg, brown on both sides and then turn it down and cook, but it should not be more the medium rare inside. Look at your temps chart and check. it ill cook pretty fast.

yes, the butcher assured me it was a very good piece of meat which was why I wanted help as to not wreck it.
I asked him what to do with it and he said, "cook it like it's a prime rib."
what I ended up doing was salt and peppering it, then slathering it in yellow mustard, as told to me by a very old friend. put it on a hot bbq until it almost blew up due to the fat burning off, very high temp, just to sear.
finished it off in the oven. it was wonderful, took forever to cook to the 145°, but now I know what to do with the other one I also bought.

Last edited:
Got any pics? How about the other one if you cook it the same way?
I never heard of the slather in mustard thing before.... how old was your friend :LOL:
Really, what does mustard do to meat? Does it crisp up or make a layer/crust of flavor? Is the flavor mustard-like tasting? Mustard is good on hot dogs. I don't know if I would like it on a good piece of beef :huh:

yep, you were right about that alright. it was a good, a very good piece of meat. it was boneless, 11 pounds and ended up being a fillet mignon the biggest I'd ever seen. didn't even know they made them that big.

the other one, I'll do the same way but now I'll know what I'm doing.
the friend, the very old friend, was about 25 then when she told me about the yellow mustard and not being a mustard fan, I was dumbfounded at how the flavor was on her regular rump roast. it does crisp it up, it also seals it I think. and you can't really taste it at all, unless the flavor is underlying.

The other one in the freezer is bigger, believe it or not. waiting for a very special time to take that one out of the freezer. maybe for New Years eve, we'll see.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom