Liver...lots of liver

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Count Omulis

Assistant Cook
Ok, so my newly acquired mother-in-law gave my wife and I 8 or 10 packages of Beef liver. Fortunately, it's home grown beef from a friend of her family. Unfortunately, I have never cooked with liver and don't know the taste, how to season it, what to use as a side (other than making liver and onions, but again, no experience). Seeing on as how we have a lot of it (for 2 people anyway) I would like a few recipes so 1) my wife who is somewhat of a picky eater (but learning) doesnt get turned off by it and 2) we dont get sick of the same recipe.

Any assistance you guys can give would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

you can't go wrong with liver and onions, served with mashed potatoes and maybe peas.....going on memory here, slice it about 1/2 inch thick, flour each piece with flour and s&p, fry in oil, flip and fry other side, it does not take long to cook, a few minutes per side....you might want to google how to incorporate the onions!

I'll dig up anothe TNT recipe, tomato based topped with parmesan cheese...

liver onions, bacon, with mashed or baked potatoes and green salad.

liver does well with tomato sauce (makes it milder)

liver with mushrooms and onion gravy over noodles

a lot you can do with it.

Just adding a little to Beth's instructions, slowly fry a couple pieces of bacon in the pan and with the onions, until onions are soft. Add floured liver and just brown on each side, then add a few tbls water (or CocaCola), cover with lid and let steam a few minutes. Liver should still still be a little pink inside when you take it out of the pan.
You can make a good gravy out of the pan drippings to use over mashed potatoes, rice or noodles.

When I was in college, our dorm cafeteria fixed liver like country fried steak, breaded and deep-fried. It was hard as a brick, but not too bad with plenty of catsup.

I love liver and onions! And mashed potatoes and even peas, though I'm not a big pea fan, it goes well with it. Beef liver is tougher than calf's liver though, and I don't know of a way to tenderize it, organ meat is much more touchy to tenderizing techniques and has a bad habit of disintegrating. But you can't beat the flavor :) Dunk in a little milk, then flour .. then fry. Add onions (lots) and use dregs to make a gravy for the p'taters. DW's favorite peas for this is Le Sueur, with or without pearl onions or mushrooms.

Warning: This meal will rise your Iron levels in your blood! I went to give blood one time (after being cleared because of overseas deployment) after a night of this heavy meal, and when she checked for iron in a sample of my blood with mercury ... the mercury floated to the top of the tube. She said, "Wow you have a lot of iron!"

My wife approves of this idea. yes please :D

it's actually topped with mozzarella cheese; the parmesan is used in the breading....this really is delicious..

Parmesan Liver Saute

1 ½ lb. beef liver, ½ inch thick
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup fine cracker crumbs
½ t. paprika
6 T. butter
¼ lb. Mozzarella cheese, cut into 6 slices
Tomato sauce, catsup, or chili sauce

Cut liver into 6 serving pieces. Combine Parmesan cheese, crumbs and paprika. In a large skillet melt the butter; dip liver slices in butter, then coat both sides with the crumb mixture. About 10 minutes before ready to serve, sauté liver on both sides in remaining butter, until golden. Place on oven proof platter and top with Mozzarella cheese slices. Place under broiler just long enough to melt cheese slightly. Top each serving with a spoonful of tomato sauce…this recipe recommends to serve with new potatoes, escarole with bacon bits and pear halves in rose' wine.

My husband and I love liver; both beef and chicken. Since I fix it for two, I usually use chicken livers. I like to cut them because they "explode" if you don't cut every globe. I then slice onions very thin. All of them get floured (flour, pepper, any other seasonings you like) and quick fried (pan fry, but if you have a deep fryer it would probably be better, I just don't so pan fry in about a half inch of oil). I serve them on a bed of mixed greens and top with a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar. I first had this in a restaurant in Winter Park (the old town section of Orlando) Florida, and it is one of my husband's favorite meals.

As far as I know, yes, high cholesterol. When I was a child we were told liver was good for us, now I'm told it is bad for you. So we only eat it a few times a year!

Does liver contain high cholesterol level ?

Yes, it has a HUGE amount of cholesterol. I can only eat it about once or twice a year because it has so much. I had high cholesterol and was advised strongly against eating liver from a doctor and I looked it up here, 1 oz of raw beef liver has 26% of your daily allowance of cholesterol ... just 1 oz, and that's before cooking it.

"was advised strongly against eating liver from a doctor"
how about liver from a lawyer?
(haha, couldn't resist)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom