Question about US cans of food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shrinkflation is one of those places where US customary measure is useful to companies selling in Canada. Some things that used to be 1 litre are now 1 quart / 946 ml or 500 ml and are now 1 pint / 2 cups / 473 ml. I find that particularly sneaky with cream. They still sell cream in 1 litre containers, but it's been quite a while since I saw a 500 ml container. I think it's sneaky because, I'm sure I'm not the only person who would expect the smaller one to be half the size, since it looks like half the size.

I love those old recipes that read "1- No 2 can of beans." Fortunately, I found this chart.

1709254582340.png

For this discussion, perhaps the Food Guy can help?

I love those old recipes that read "1- No 2 can of beans." Fortunately, I found this chart.

View attachment 68197

For this discussion, perhaps the Food Guy can help?
Well, that chart gives the info I need to do a bunch of arithmetic (I don't mind arithmetic) to figure out about the beans. But, I don't think the Food Guy will be very helpful. From that page in the link,

Corn sold in a can is super easy to use, and you often don’t need too much to bulk up a meal or serve as a side. Because of this, the average size can of corn will measure between 8 to 15 ounces, which is around 1 cup of corn.

8 to 15 ounces, which is around 1 cup of corn is really not very helpful to me, even if it had been about beans.

Good thing I don't use canned ingredients, other than beans, very much at all.

Last edited:
Well, that chart gives the info I need to do a bunch of arithmetic (I don't mind arithmetic) to figure out about the beans. But, I don't think the Food Guy will be very helpful. From that page in the link,

8 to 15 ounces, which is around 1 cup of corn is really not very helpful to me, even if it had been about beans.

Good thing I don't use canned ingredients, other than beans, very much at all.

The best advice I can offer you is to only use recipes written in metric weights and measures.

CD

I don't get too worked up about amounts if it is a recipe where cans of food are listed. I figure if the person is writing about cans they are usually Americans and if a recipe state 1 "tin" of something then I worry.
I know this sounds "can-ist" (not a real word) but if I read a recipe from a foreign country and it doesn't have real "USA Imperial Amounts" listed I move on. Most of the sites I visit have a US mode for their recipes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom