Ropa Vieja [old clothes]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grommet

Assistant Cook
another one of my favorite recipes..our friend always cooks it for us in cuba

very tasty...
icon_razz.gif

ropa vieja means old clothes, because this is how shredded beef looks. Ropa Vieja is a traditional Cuban dish.

3 1/2 pounds pot roast
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 cup of water
1 large onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup of tomato sauce
1 teaspoon salt
2 bay leafs
1/2 cup of dry white wine
Rub the meat with the salt and pepper. In a large pot brown the meat on all sides in a little bit of the olive oil. Add one cup of water. Cover and simmer until the meat is tender, about 2 hours. If the pan dries out during cooking add more water. When cooked, allow the meat to cool in the pan, sitting in its own juices. When cool, shred the meat with your fingers and set aside along with any remaining pan juices.

In the same pot heat the remaining olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic, until the onion is translucent. Add the green pepper and sauté some more. Add the remaining ingredients, including the shredded meat and juices. Cover and simmer on low heat for 40minutes.

http://www.cubamaniaks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1312

Last edited:
hi barbara...l have to tell you that this site is fantastic...l will never need a cook book again and know where to come if l need advice..congrats to you all..:)

yes the recipe is a good one...you know it is illegal to eat beef in cuba...the very young and old get a ration now and then..

l think this dish is cooked in some households when they can get beef on the blackmarket...it helps disguise the look of the beef...l know it is a secret thing when eating beef...folks stand on guard at the kitchen door keeping a look out...sounds far fetched to us...

Wow, I had no idea eating beef is illegal there. That is another thing I love about this site--I have learned a lot of interesting things about other countries, and about foods themselves.

:) Barbara

Back
Top Bottom