Braising lamb shanks in the oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I find a lot of recipes for braised lamb shanks that call for slowly simmering on the stovetop for about 2 hours. I would prefer to do this in the oven because I often have a hard time maintaining an even simmer with my burners... what would be a good starting point for oven temperature and time? Would 350 for the same 2 hours be good?

I'd go a little longer like 2 1/2 just to be sure.....It all depends on how big they are...check with a fork to see it if is tender enough for your. Then, I would reduce the juice a while on the stove top to get a nice concentrated gravy.

I find a lot of recipes for braised lamb shanks that call for slowly simmering on the stovetop for about 2 hours. I would prefer to do this in the oven because I often have a hard time maintaining an even simmer with my burners... what would be a good starting point for oven temperature and time? Would 350 for the same 2 hours be good?

I'd go with 350ºF in the oven for at least 2 hours. Do as Roch said - test for doneness.

Back
Top Bottom