Chimichurri Sauce (TNT)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thanks cliveb for your input... its nice to see this thread revived and so many posts today! chimichurri IS indeed a great sauce and is crucial for any argentinian "bbq" or grilling outing... while more commonly used for steak, it works well with chicken as well... cliveb, after you mentioned the ceviche i began thinking "oh my god" how many people may have actually used yellow lemons in making ceviche!! no, no, no!!! perhaps in the chimichurri you can get away w substitution, but in ceviche where basically the lime juice IS the ONE crucial ingredient other than your fish?!? :wacko:

btw, the "limon criollo" is more akin to the key limes in florida than the so called "persian limes" which are very similar looking to yellow lemons but green in color.... limon criollo has a lot of juice for its size and a very thin skin and rind

Last edited:
Not too long ago I marinated two pork tenderloins in chimichurri then served more sauce on the side - it was GREAT! The only thing I can think that this sauce may not go with is a peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich :innocent:

The more I read on this sauce GB the more I think it's traditionally done without the cilantro - I, personally, use half parsley and half cilantro - that's what I love about recipes!!!!!! lol :chef:

Hey GB! I went to make your recipe yesterday and realized in fact I didn't have enough EVOO for the recipe and that my fresh lemons didn't look the healthiest so I had to improvise. I had to substitute 3/4 of a cup of veg. oil in place of the EVOO because I only had 1/4 cup left after marinating my chicken breasts. I used the Real Lemon Concentrate in place of the fresh lemons.
I think because I used the veg. oil it gave it a oily taste so I had to play around with it. I ended up adding more ground cumin, fresh ground black pepper and 3 Tbsp. mayo.....as I thought that would balance out the oily taste and give it a creamy taste. It worked out beautifully. I now have a recipe that I'll be able to make again and again thanks to you. Granted it wasn't your recipe to the T but I do plan on next time making it your way even if that means I have to run to the store because if its really good this way I bet its amazing when using just EVOO and real lemon. I think I"ll hold back on the amount of cloves of garlic still as 5 was just the right amount for us. Thanks again!

Sizz I am actually so happy that you did not have all the right ingredients. You came up with your own recipe that you enjoyed and can make again. That is one of the biggest joys of cooking. I am thrilled that it worked out well for you!!!

Back
Top Bottom