"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It is if you use anti-bacterial soap. Otherwise, it's not.
And anti-bacterial soap is not recommended because it contributes to antibiotic resistance. Wood is naturally anti-bacterial, so I use that, primarily. Veggies first, then meats, then wash.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:16 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Quote:
It is if you use anti-bacterial soap. Otherwise, it's not.
From Web MD:

Quote:
Aug. 17, 2007 -- Antibacterial soaps are no more effective than plain soap and water for killing disease-causing germs, but the jury is still out on whether they promote antibiotic resistance in users, a newly published research analysis shows.

Researchers from the University of Michigan School of Public Health reviewed 27 studies examining the safety and effectiveness of antibacterial products containing the active ingredient triclosan.

That includes most commercially available soaps, detergents and other products with the word 'antibacterial' on their labels, with the notable exception of alcohol-based hand gels.

Soaps containing triclosan at concentrations commonly seen in products sold to the public were found to be no better for killing bacteria and preventing infectious illness than soaps that did not contain triclosan.

"Antibacterial soaps do not provide a benefit above and beyond plain soaps for generally healthy people living in the community," researcher Allison Aiello, PhD, tells WebMD.

"Washing your hands is extremely important for preventing the spread of infectious illness, especially at critical points like after using the toilet, changing the baby, or handling raw foods. But consumers can't assume that antibacterial soaps are better for this than other soaps."
Old 01-27-2018, 05:50 PM   #43
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
From Web MD:
None of what you posted says soap has antibacterial qualities. It just says antibacterial soap is no better than regular soap.

The function of soap is as a surfactant. That is, it loosens any dirt and bacteria so it can be washed off and down the drain.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:50 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Quote:
None of what you posted says soap has antibacterial qualities. It just says antibacterial soap is no better than regular soap.

The function of soap is as a surfactant. That is, it loosens any dirt and bacteria so it can be washed off and down the drain.
It must, they couldn't get away with calling antibacterial soap "antibacterial" unless it actually did kill bacteria. That being the case, if does in fact kill bacteria, yet it's no better than regular soap, then ipso facto and by extrapolation, regular soap must kill bacteria.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:01 PM   #45
Master Chef

Wow, five pages and 44 posts on washing cutting boards.

We sure seem to like making life more difficult than it needs to be.

CD
Old 01-27-2018, 11:03 PM   #46
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Not really, we just enjoy arguing about it...and everything else.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:08 PM   #47
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
It must, they couldn't get away with calling antibacterial soap "antibacterial" unless it actually did kill bacteria. That being the case, if does in fact kill bacteria, yet it's no better than regular soap, then ipso facto and by extrapolation, regular soap must kill bacteria.
Interesting "logic". If regular soap kills bacteria, why does antibacterial soap exist?
Old 01-27-2018, 11:38 PM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Interesting "logic". If regular soap kills bacteria, why does antibacterial soap exist?
To fleece the gullible.
Old 01-28-2018, 12:41 AM   #49
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Not really, we just enjoy arguing about it...and everything else.
Yup.

CD
Old 01-28-2018, 01:33 AM   #50
Executive Chef

Quote:
How would you know?
Andy, a doctor on PBS radio today answered when asked if his flu vaccine prevented HIM from getting the flu after being vaccinated for it.

"I think so." Heh.

If he hasn't gotten the flu yet after having been vaccinated, how could he answer that question any differently?

Has anyone gotten this flu? My last flu...I puked, got chills...then sudden heat, then diarrhea, all within 10 minutes.
A 1970's flu put me thru that, and just for kicks, it finished off with a head cold. But not before I puked, had chills, then sweats, then sweating minutes later.

Please, noone say they had that happen, much less had to be hospitalized. Many have died from this flu. Young and old.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:13 AM   #51
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I had a mild form, not bad enough to go to the doctor. It has caused one death in our facility and put 7 in the hospital.
Old 01-28-2018, 03:59 AM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I had a mild form, not bad enough to go to the doctor. It has caused one death in our facility and put 7 in the hospital.

On that PBS FM interview, it was mentioned that someone could start off with the usual winter cold, then contact this years influenza, and have to battle that.

Bummer. I use Purell a lot. In my cars glove compartment and at home.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote