I cannot tell the difference between maple and pancake syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Golden syrup I threw out in September was in a yellow plastic bottle that looked like a bee hive with blue lettering. I bought it hoping it would be a substitute for Karo dark syrup. Maybe s/one in Canada can ID it. I am in MN now doing elder-care. Gotta say that the sap from our own trees, whether in MN or ON, is the best. I am spoiled, I don't buy maple syrup and we can it in glass. When I had to buy it for the company for which I worked, I would get a 4 L jug at the cash and carry for about $90 from a local producer. Birch syrup, on the other hand, was very expensive for a just a liter jug. We only used that for vinaigrette or marinades. Too darned expensive. I think the syrup is made from white birch sap, but it could be from yellow birch. The evap ratio is 60-70:1. I keep bugging my Dad about tapping the birch trees in the Spring.

Last edited:
The beehive golden syrup is corn syrup and not sugar cane or sugar beets.

I can taste the difference because I have grown up on sugar ( beet and cane sugar) and not high fructose. Even our coke is made with sugar and that why it doesnt holds it fizz as long as corn syrup based drinks.

jennyema; wasnt that what I said too, or is my English that bad?

I went on the description CWS4322 gave me, oddly enough a very close friend of mine got a Golden Corn syrup bottle from the USA with blue letters and beehive. He cant use it and it been just standing on a shelf and we cleared it out this weekend and the old ho ho's too. Dont know why his friend thought giving sugary stuff to a diabetic was good idea.

I know about Lyles, but Lyles has lion on the tin not a beehive. Or have the changed they changed the looks of Lyles?
I buy 2 tins for Christmas every year and then a dark treacle too and then I am set for candy and cake making for my husband.
I buy Sirap for the Swedish treats.

Well, I have no problem differentiating between maple syrup or pancake syrup. Real or fake. Good quality or cheap one. Even slightest variation, I can tell the difference. And you know what, I hate them all the same. Go figure.

Charlie, I would be willing to take all of your jars of maple syrup to "recycle". Love the stuff!

I can tell the difference between real and fake, and between New England/Canadian syrups and Ohio's. Maybe it's because my taste buds were born in Ohio, but I prefer the flavor of that maple syrup over those from New England or Canada.

the main thing i notice about real or pure maple syrup is they are in glass jars...
...which is why every bottle I've bought in the last however many decades has been plastic. :rolleyes: Seriously, I have bought from sugar houses in VT, MA, CT, and O-H-I-O, and anything from a pint up has been in plastic. It might be that real maple syrup for commercial use is always packaged in glass, though.

Maybe I have been to the wrong places to get my maple syrup, but I have never seen it in plastic containers. Right now I have a ceramic jug from Vermont in my fridge. Poo was bringing me a jug every time he came down to see me. I was getting a backlog of it and had to tell him to stop. His landlord has a sugar barn and collects maple sap every spring. So he gets it for nil.

I also only see real maple syrup in glass. Pancake syrup in plastic.

I've seen both. Usually in about a 6 ounce size, which is enough for one breakfast, and usually around $6 (more than I paid for the 64 ounce Log Cabin jug that's in the fridge), so just not worth the money to me.

Although I can certainly tell the difference in taste, I actually prefer Log Cabin to the real thing. It may not be all organic or whatever, but it has more flavor... real maple syrup is actually a more delicate flavor.

On a related note, anybody here ever eat a Nut Goodie? Milk chocolate, peanuts, and maple cream nougat. One of the best candy bars on the planet! I haven't been able to buy them anyplace I've lived since I moved away from Minnesota in 1964. Amazon carries them, and I occasionally buy a box of 24.

81cZf7odztL._SL1500_.jpg

Maybe the difference is that I buy MS in quart jugs as opposed to smaller volume containers.

I've gotten MS in plastic jugs at Costco and TJ's.

RP, we used to get Nut Goodies in NoDak. Haven't seen them for awhile either.

I've seen both. Usually in about a 6 ounce size, which is enough for one breakfast, and usually around $6 (more than I paid for the 64 ounce Log Cabin jug that's in the fridge), so just not worth the money to me.

Although I can certainly tell the difference in taste, I actually prefer Log Cabin to the real thing. It may not be all organic or whatever, but it has more flavor... real maple syrup is actually a more delicate flavor.

On a related note, anybody here ever eat a Nut Goodie? Milk chocolate, peanuts, and maple cream nougat. One of the best candy bars on the planet! I haven't been able to buy them anyplace I've lived since I moved away from Minnesota in 1964. Amazon carries them, and I occasionally buy a box of 24.

81cZf7odztL._SL1500_.jpg

I've never seen these.

I always buy my grade B syrup in quart plastic jugs. The only glass containers I've seen it in are much smaller bottles.

I love Nut Goodies!! My sister in Minneapolis sends them to me

Here most syrup is sold in cans. Plus the producers all pretty much use the same cans. After they have been inspected and graded they put on their own sticker labels with their names and grade of syrup. The glass jars are usually stylized ones for show and tourists. Seems to me only the iimitation stuff is in plastic but could be wrong.

Here most syrup is sold in cans. Plus the producers all pretty much use the same cans. After they have been inspected and graded they put on their own sticker labels with their names and grade of syrup. The glass jars are usually stylized ones for show and tourists. Seems to me only the iimitation stuff is in plastic but could be wrong.
^^ yup

My family is originally from Vermont, I usually get a half a gallon of Grade B from Maxwell Farms up near Island Pond for Xmas, they send them out to all the cousins. Sadly not this year, climate change has wreaked hell with the harvest, and they might have to close the farm.

First of all, to heck with Grade A amber. Get the B grade dark stuff.

I've tasted the flavored corn syrup, and chemists are clever, it has much of the taste of Grade A Amber. I'm not gonna be a syrup snob, even given my family background, and say maple or nothing. I think it is perfectly appropriate on pancakes and waffles and such.

Big FAT however, though. I think if you just see syrup as a breakfast toping, pancake syrup is fine, but you are seriously underestimating Maple Syrup as a cooking ingredient.

I use a tbsp of maple as a kicker in any number of recipes, and as a sugar substitute often in baking. And real Maple Syrup behaves differently than corn syrup in recipes.

Kind of try to use maple syrup, honey, and new to me but I'm warming up to it agave instead of processed sugar, I don't thing corn syrup + chemicals is good for that use.

For that I want the flavor of genuine Vermont tree blood.

I do think it is acceptable on pancakes.

TBS

Back
Top Bottom