I cannot tell the difference between maple and pancake syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh sure, those log cabin cans of syrup were all we had as a kid. Mom would set a can of it on the stove burner to warm it. They were sure a pain to stock them on the grocery store shelves for sale.

I always hated maple syrup taste in everything from the syrup to maple flavored candy. About 10 years ago, I had (against my will) some syrup on my pancakes that I just loved. When I asked what it was, I was told it was real maple syrup. Now I buy that (when I can afford it) and the difference to me is like night and day. After tasting fake syrup my whole life, the real thing isn't even remotely the same. I still hate the fake stuff.

But then there's this: for a while, I was making my own pancake batter from scratch. I finally quit that and went back to buying the boxed mix from Krusteaz (just add water) because I like that better. Go figure.

I always hated maple syrup taste in everything from the syrup to maple flavored candy. About 10 years ago, I had (against my will) some syrup on my pancakes that I just loved. When I asked what it was, I was told it was real maple syrup. Now I buy that (when I can afford it) and the difference to me is like night and day. After tasting fake syrup my whole life, the real thing isn't even remotely the same. I still hate the fake stuff.

But then there's this: for a while, I was making my own pancake batter from scratch. I finally quit that and went back to buying the boxed mix from Krusteaz (just add water) because I like that better. Go figure.

If you find something premade that is better than what you make, then go for it. I use Bertolli pasta sauces because they are comparable to what I make. Gives me the time for making my own pasta.

If you find something premade that is better than what you make, then go for it. I use Bertolli pasta sauces because they are comparable to what I make. Gives me the time for making my own pasta.

Hear Hear!! Well said.

When I first joined here, one member (I believe from across the big pond) also said something to the effect of buying sauces is oft times as good as trying to make your own. I now heartily agree, a lot of sauces, although fun to make at least once, are just that much easier to buy. Especially if you are also concentrating on the rest of the meal from scratch.

I always thought if you are going to make a "homemade" meal you made everything from scratch, at least as much as possible. I always felt I sort of failed if I couldn't or didn't. What a waste of guilt! :LOL:

That being said, I still have a hard time choosing which parts of a meal will come out of a box.

Well, side by side, I can tell there's a very slight difference in flavor. If I were to blind taste only one of them, I probably wouldn't be able to identify it. I certainly don't perceive one as any higher quality than the other. They're both equally delicious. Does that make me a bad person??
The "pretend" maple syrup they sell in the UK is vile - I bought some by mistake one day when I wasn't wearing my reading glasses!

Hear Hear!! Well said.

When I first joined here, one member (I believe from across the big pond) also said something to the effect of buying sauces is oft times as good as trying to make your own. I now heartily agree, a lot of sauces, although fun to make at least once, are just that much easier to buy. Especially if you are also concentrating on the rest of the meal from scratch.

I always thought if you are going to make a "homemade" meal you made everything from scratch, at least as much as possible. I always felt I sort of failed if I couldn't or didn't. What a waste of guilt! :LOL:

That being said, I still have a hard time choosing which parts of a meal will come out of a box.
I use "Seeds of Change" and ALDI pasta sauces. Both are excellent but most of the others over here are pretty grim.

If "bought" foods and ingredients are as good as or better than your own there's no reason to feel guilty. I enjoy cooking from scratch but sometimes time gets the better of me. If I have 3/4 of an hour to get a meal, eat it and get showered and changed to go out I won't be making pasta sauce from scratch.

I love real maple syrup. The B grade seems to be the most flavorful. I don't eat waffles or pancakes, just the syrup.

When we spent summers in Canada, my mom would get the most wonderful syrup, Golden? It was not maple or Log Cabin. Not sure of the name, but it was so good I could drink it.

Use whatever you like. No food snobbery here.
Yup, Golden. It is corn syrup.. It does not work as a replacement for Karo Dark Corn Syrup (which I can't buy in Canada where I live and use for one of my grandma's cookie recipes at Christmas--hence, how I know Kara Dark and Golden are not interchangeable).

I also thought of Crown Golden Syrup, not just Lyle's but truth to tell - how can one mistake corn syrup for maple syrup... it just doesn't compare.

My family doesn't like maple syrup. So I have a small Trader Joe's maple syrup I use to top my oatmeal and my old fashioned shredded wheat "pillows" occasionally. For waffles and pancakes we use Mrs. Butterworth (I use the sugar free variety of Mrs. Butterworth).

I use Trader Joe's grade B. I use it mostly in savory cooking. Also on my waffles.

For fake syrup I also go with the Mrs Butterworths

Yup, Golden. It is corn syrup.. It does not work as a replacement for Karo Dark Corn Syrup (which I can't buy in Canada where I live and use for one of my grandma's cookie recipes at Christmas--hence, how I know Kara Dark and Golden are not interchangeable).

Golden syrup is not made from corn, it's made from sugar cane or beets

I love real maple syrup. The B grade seems to be the most flavorful. I don't eat waffles or pancakes, just the syrup.

When we spent summers in Canada, my mom would get the most wonderful syrup, Golden? It was not maple or Log Cabin. Not sure of the name, but it was so good I could drink it.

Use whatever you like. No food snobbery here.
I agree. The grade B is more flavorful, even though it supposedly lesser quality. Go figure, right?
I think the only place where it might be mandatory to use the real deal is recipes requiring the right kind of crystallization, such as in making maple candies. But otherwise, whatever a person likes.

Maple syrup just isn't that outrageously expensive here. We don't use syrup all that often, so we always use real maple syrup, the dark one.

We buy maple syrup by the quart at Costco. I think it was $11-$12 last time. I use it in oatmeal and on waffles and pancakes. I also
Make a killer maple walnut ice cream.

Price of Maple Syrup fluctuates by the year like a lot of other commodities. Last year a local had a price at $45 per gallon. This year ??? don't remember seeing it. Small cans of 540 ml can sell anywhere from $6.00 to $9.00.
I personally consider it expensive, especially should you consume a lot.

I use very little myself so have no problem using the real stuff.

We buy maple syrup by the quart at Costco. I think it was $11-$12 last time. I use it in oatmeal and on waffles and pancakes. I also
Make a killer maple walnut ice cream.

I love maple walnut ice cream ?. Recipe?

Tate and Lyle's Golden Syrup is not corn syrup. It's made from cane sugar. Gorgeous but not the same taste as maple. Delicious on porridge.

the main thing i notice about real or pure maple syrup is they are in glass jars. if youve ever had cracker barrel pancakes you know what im talking about. by the way has the best pancakes in my opinion.

dennys pancakes are just as good but they dont use real maple. also mcdonalds pancakes as cheap as they may be is one of my favorites. i think it is in the mix.

i work for a food prodution company, drive a truck, but about 15 years ago actually worked in the pancake mix factory. there was one brand name we made that was a good duplicate to mcdonalds pancakes called presidents choice (canadian) extra special recipe.

we lost that contract for that formula but when we made it i asked the mixers what gave it that sweet aroma. they said some kind of sour cream ingredient. then it dawned on me that sour cream donuts have that similar type aroma as well.

so there is a little more insight to good pancake making.

I get my maple syrup in a can. I think it's a Canadian thing. I could get it in glass, but that costs more.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom