Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise?

• Miracle Whip

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Mayonnaise

Votes: 37 69.8%

• Total voters
It's gotta be Duke's.

Duk_MayoQt.jpg

Yay, Raine! I used to use Hellman's (I 'fess I did grow up in Yankeeville), but switched to Duke's at first because of the price difference when we moved here; now I won't buy anything else!

The only time I use mayo is when I have a recipe that is to be cooked, like my chicken casserole...or when our grown son comes to visit. He's a Mayo man!
I much prefer the flavor of Miracle Whip Lite, as do my husband and grandson. I love the tangy taste.

I grew up eating Miracle Whip and white bread at home ... and Mom even bought that disgusting stuff with added Lemon juice. I only got real mayo and wheat bread when I went to grandma's house.

When I went off to college and bought my first jar of Hellmans Mayo - I never went back (and I started buying wheat bread, too!) I must confess that a few months ago I did buy a small jar of Miracle Whip and a loaf of white bread ... looking to recapture a childhood comfort food moment (a Miracle Whip wish sandwich .... lots of Miracle Whip between 2 slices of white bread - and wishing we had a slice of bologna). It just wasn't the same.

Yes, there IS a difference in the flavors - look at the ingredients for both (and their order):

Miracle Whip Ingredients: WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, VINEGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, EGGS YOLKS, SALT, MUSTARD FLOUR, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, POTASSIUM SORBATE AS A PRESERVATIVE, SPICE, PAPRIKA, NATURAL FLAVOR, DRIED GARLIC.

Hellmans Mayo Ingredients: SOYBEAN OIL, WATER, WHOLE EGGS AND EGG YOLKS, VINEGAR, SALT, SUGAR, LEMON JUICE, NATURAL FLAVORS, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (USED TO PROTECT QUALITY).

Obviously - Hellmans Mayo is more eggy, less sweet and less acetic than Miracle Whip. Guess that's why I like it better. But, then, I also don't go squeezing lemon all over my fish as soon as it hits the table like some people do ... I want to taste the fish!

Last edited:
I use light mayo. DH prefers the taste on sandwiches and I never put it on a sandwich. The onl;y way I eat it is as an ingredient in tuna salad etc.

Best Foods, Hellmans, and Mrs Schlorer's ... same lable-different name ... same company now, different parts of the country. (at least it was as of last year or so.)

Things you can do with MIRACLE WHIP (lite)...or mayo.

DILL SAUCE
½ cup Miracle Whip Lite
2 tsp dill weed
2 tbls lemon juice
1 tsp horseradish
1 tbl Worchester sauce

Use with any grilled fish, or as a dip for fresh veggies.

BLUE CHEESE SALAD DRESSING

½ cup Miracle Whip lite
a little skim milk to thin to desired consistency
crumbled blue cheese to taste
freshly grated black pepper to taste

Use for salad dressing, or dip for raw veggies

FRENCH DRESSING

½ cup Miracle Whip lite
enough catsup to achieve desired color
splash of lemon juice
pinch of granulated garlic

THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING

½ cup Miracle Whip lite
catsup enough to turn it pink
heaping tbl of sweet pickle relish

CREAMY ITALIAN DRESSING

1 pint Miracle Whip Lite
skim milk to thin to desired consistency
1 packet Good Seasons Zesty Italian Dressing Mix

*Note: Miracle Whip Lite has 25 calories per tablespoon, 15 from fat, 2 grams sugar.

Last edited:
Mayo

I like them both actually but i usually use the mayo more. The miracle whip has a sweeter flaver so I only use it on select foods.

I use them both for different purposes. I honestly find myself mixing the two for salads, as MW is a bit strong for said purpose.

I try not to eat too much mayonnaise for health reasons. Disgusting amount of saturated fat, MW is much better for you. Well, they're both processed and probably not good for you but you get the idea.

I've always been a Miracle Whip kinda kid, but as I've gotten older I've developed more of a taste for mayo.

Peach halves on a bed of lettuce, with a scoop of cottage cheese and a dollop of Miracle Whip. That's a memory. :)

Will use both, but generally, due to lack of fridge space, use Duke's mayo.

Prefer Duke's to other brands.

Although we do love salad creme from the UK, which is closer to MW than mayo. And always try to bring a plastic jar back when we go.

Hellman's is great, just prefer Duke's.

Back
Top Bottom