How many of you own an ice Cream Machine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey123

Washing Up
Ok, are there any of you out there who own an ice cream machine?

These machines come in three types and styles.

1. Manual & Electric with large ice bucket;

This machine comes either with a hand crank or and electric motor. A canister that holds the ice cream mixture sits in dead center on a small pivot.
Usually, this container is either a 4-qt. or a 6-qt. size. The bucket is either wooden or plastic.

You need rock salt and ice to freeze the mixture in the container. When the motor begins to labor, or when the hand crank becomes difficult to turn, it signifies that the mixture is frozen, but still soft enough to remove form the machine. The ice cream is usually eaten then or placed in containers for priming in the deep freezer. I had one of these. I owned it for 20 years. These go for about $60.00 to $80.00.

2. Manual and Electric freezer bowl models;

These are smaller machines that allow the production of about 1-qt. batches. The bowl that comes with these units are usually double-walled and contain a freezing chemical that's hermetically sealed within the confineds of this double wall.

You place the bowl in your freezer for about eight hours or overnight, letting the confined liquid freeze solid. The next day, you can then put this bowl into your machine, add the premade ice cream mixture, put the motor or hand crank on and begin the process of freezing the liquid to a semi solid form. you then eat it or place the prefrozen mixture into a container and place it in the freezer for priming.

The main drawback with these machines is that you must freeze the bowl again for another eight hours before you can make more ice cream unless you have a double-bowl machine. They run for about $40.00 to $60.00.

3. Self-contained machines;

These are regarded to as the Cadillac or King of ice cream machines! Cream of the crop!!
State of the art!!! Simply because they all have there own sealed refrigeration systems built right into the units, much like a small room air conditioner. I own one of these. They are a godsend, saving you the usual drudgery of work that's involved with the bucket-style machines that require salt & ice.

You do not need salt or ice, they are usually electronically operated, they have beeping signals to alert you when the ice cream is ready and you can leave the compressor on if you intend to make two or more batches of your favorite frozen treats. They also have timers to let you chose the amount of time to procees the ice cream.

The main advantage here is that you are not forced to wait for the stationary bowl to to refreeze for another batch. You do not have to have any salt or ice on hand as with the bucket-style machines.

The drawbacks though, are that these machines can be vary awkward and heavy. You must also plan to have plenty of space where you plan to use it, as they strongly demand a considerable amount of kitchen real estate.

And oh yes, they are very costly, ranging in price from $200.00 to a whopping $1,000.00 depending on the material used for the outer shell. Plastic-shell models (mine has one) go for between $200.00 to $400.00. Stainless-steel-shell models range in price from $600.00 to over $1,000.00.

KitchenAid has one that sits on the countertop and it looks quite similar to the commrecial-type soft-serve machines, which this one DOES make soft-serve ice cream. It's very expensive, costing a whopping
$1.200.00 or more!

You may also want to keep it in a permanent location to avoid having to carry it too often, as these units seem to weigh a ton. But they are so nice to have and convenient use in light of the few drawbacks!:chef:

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I have a basic Rival 4-qt electric motor ice cream maker, the kind that requires ice and salt. I make a good butter brickle, mint chocolate chip, vanilla, and cookies-n-cream. My family loves it when I make ice cream.

I, also, had a 4-qt. electric bucket-style ice cream maker. It was a White Mountain (now Rival) machine with the wooden bucket. I had it for over 20 years.

After a while, the thing started making this unbearable horrible rasping squeaky sound. I tried lubricating the motor, but it didn't help at all.

Two years ago is when I bought the self-contained Lello Gelato TSA-901, a $2000.00 machine from Chefs Catalog. I just threw out the old ice cream maker this summer. It still worked, but i just couldn't deal with that squeaking noise anymore.

In later years, Rival bought the manufacturing rights from White Mountain to start making that same machine. It still looks the same today.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
We have an electric churn type, a hand type (the cylinder goes in the freezer) and an electric one that the cylinder goes in the freezer. I like all of them, but we usually buy our ice cream.

I have not bought any ice cream since I've had the self-contained unit.

I still got some peach ice cream in the freezer that I made on the Fourth of July. Normally, that's when I make ice cream anyway - during the summer. But who's to say that you can't enjoy it in the winter also?

~Corey123.

I have a Cuisinart Electric freezer bowl type ice cream maker. It has worked well enough, the rare times I have used it. The problem is, it just isn't very interesting to make ice cream, so I rarely use it. If ice cream making required some skill, then maybe it would have gotten more use.

Still, I do like to whip up vanilla ice cream (I always have one or two big honking Tahitian vanilla beans in my pantry for special occasions) once in a while, and it is a cool little gadget to have.

I have one of the Krups electric that has a cylinder that must be prefrozen. I haven't used it. My sister and I each bought one and she uses hers for frozen yogurt, but I just don't remember it until someone asks a question. I need to use it soon.

I bought a K'aid freezer bucket when they first came out, but I forgot I even had it LOL I going to have to get some cream and make some Ice Cream. The only problem with home made Ice Cream is when you freeze it after making it, gets so hard it is hard to serve. I think you could refreeze it in serving sizes to avoid this? or use a little alcohol to keep it from freezing so hard.
Like this recipe;

Bailey's Irish Cream Ice Cream

2 cups Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur
4 egg yolks
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 cups whipping cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

1. In one small saucepan, place the Bailey's Irish Cream. In another small pan place the milk. Heat the milk to a simmer and remove from heat. Heat the Bailey's to a boil and reduce to 1 cup.
2. In a bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar. Add the milk to the sugar and egg mixture. Pour the mix back into the pan and heat to 175- 180 degrees whisking constantly. Do not heat any hotter or mixture will curdle. Remove from heat and strain through a fine strainer.
3. Cool custard for 10 minutes. Add the vanilla, cream, and Bailey's. Mix well and strain again. (The Bailey's gets a thick skin on top). Place in a covered container and chill overnight. The ice cream will be of the soft serve consistency out of the machine but will firm up beautifully in the freezer after a few hours. It will never get rock hard.

I will get it on ASAP. FYI: My self contained ice cream machine broke so I bought the ice cream attachment for my Kitchenaid. Worked great but there was a problem of the mix freezing to the paddle before I turned on the machine. When that happened, the paddle will not turn. The solution is to have your mix in a large cup with a spout and handle. Turn on the mixer before you add the mix, then slowly pour in the mix while the paddle is turning. There isn't much room for pouring so that is why you need a container with a spout. I use a large plastic measuring cup.

Also, try to eat it up before it ends up being kept too long.

It starts to lose its flavor and becomes rancid from the fat in the cream. That just happened to me with the peach ice cream that I made last summer. I'm going to throw the rest of it away. Not much left now.

You should try to eat it within a few months.

Corey123.

Hmm, our ice cream has never gotten hard - always a soft serve consistency - although it has never lasted longer than a week in our freezer. DH has made vanilla, banana, peach, chocolate - but our favorite is peppermint. I just printed out the Bailey's recipe - that may take first place - sounds real good - thanks for sharing!

img_226423_0_458905de3cf2e5d646d0325b4d32e5bd.jpg
This is what we have and use regularly. We got lucky and got this second hand for 100€, one of the best investments we have made so far!!
However in addition to having a good machine, also important is the correct proportion of each ingredients, and using a good emulsifier to create the right consistency, and of course, using quality ingredients. During the winter it remain somewhat inactive, but when the weather gets warmer they are in action almost weekly to pump out the best ice cream (or gelati) in town!!:-p

Dina said:
Wish I had an ice cream maker. I'm still waiting for my KitchenAid stand up mixer.:rolleyes:
Dina, we are too peas in a pod :mrgreen:

I don't have an ice cream mixer but haven't had a hard time making fairly decent ice cream at home without one (assuuming your freezer isn't junk, or part of a mini under the counter fridge - trust me, I speak from experience). The key I've found when you've doing it machine-less is to make sure that you take the ice cream out of the freezer at least 3 different times and stir it well before continuing on with the freezing process.

I really would like a machine, I bet they're a blast to use - hopefully one day :)

urmaniac13 said:
img_226628_0_458905de3cf2e5d646d0325b4d32e5bd.jpg
This is what we have and use regularly. We got lucky and got this second hand for 100€, one of the best investments we have made so far!!
However in addition to having a good machine, also important is the correct proportion of each ingredients, and using a good emulsifier to create the right consistency, and of course, using quality ingredients. During the winter it remain somewhat inactive, but when the weather gets warmer they are in action almost weekly to pump out the best ice cream (or gelati) in town!!:-p

Yeah, I tend to uase mine also more during the summer than in the winter.

Mainly one of those holidays, such as Memorial Day or the Fourth of July.

The good old lazy days of the hot summer, when all you want to do is lounge around with the kids, eat ice cream and have refreshing cold drinks!!

Today, I made my second batch of ice cream in my new KA ice cream accessory. Two weeks ago, we made banana ice cream and today Jack Daniels chocolate ice cream. Both really are delicious. I am very pleased with this attachment. The only problem i forsee is wanting to make too many different kind of ice cream and gaining too much weight, as a result.

I have a standard electric ice cream maker with the canister that gets pre-frozen in the freezer. It works well and it was a decent price.

I rarely make ice cream with it though.. I usually make fruit sorbet or coffee granita type desserts. My favourite is a nice, homemade, raspberry sorbet - it's so nice in the summer.

I was going to make some Royal Vanilla Ice Cream yesterday, but just didn't have the time to do it!

I'm off from class Thusday, so I'll do it then.

I got two extra bowls for mine so that I don't have to clean & use the same bowl, which is time-consuming. I just got right to the next one. In fact, I just fill the bowls with the custrard mixture, store them in the fridge, and when the first batch of ice cream is frozen, I go to the next one until they are all processed.

I keep the machine's compressor on until the last batch is done.

~Corey123.

Back
Top Bottom