ISO comments/feedback on GE Cafe Appliances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlgourmet

Assistant Cook
I am contemplating the GE Cafe line of appliances and wondered if anyone had any experience with them. I' also like some recommendations in general on stainless steel appliances that will please a cook and are there for more than looks.

I would appreciate any comments or shared experience.
Thanks,
John

Are you talking major appliances?

If so, I own a black fridge with SS doors but it's by Whirlpool. But it DOES look nice in the kitchen. It matches the dishwasher and the microwave.

I think SS goes well in any kitchen.

I am talking about major appliances. I am replacing everything in a complete kitchen renovation. The GE Cafe range seems to have a lot of features and I would like to hear from folks that have used this new line of appliances. I am looking at the refrigerator, dishwasher and range. I'm not crazy about the refrigerator but unless I find something that goes well with the Cafe line, I will stick the Cafe refrigerator. Each manufacturer has pretty unique handles and finishes making it difficult to mix and match. The closest refrigerator that I can find is the Jennair which has similar handle styles. But looks aside, I also want something that performs well. I'm interested in hearing from people that have actually used the stuff. None of the salespeople that I've encountered seem to know much about cooking. They just recite that stuff that you read off the brochures. When I ask about baking bread and pies in a gas vs. electric oven, they seem totally lost.

Personally I like GE appliances. I am currently looking at replacing my curent stove with a GE one. This one was in the house when I moved in and since it was brand new there was no real need to replace it.

As for gas vs electric.. I grew up with gas but have had to lean to cook with electric. I think gas is better for stove-top cooking. "They" say the electric is better for baking because it is an even heat and I agree with that. However I think you get a better crust on breads with a gas oven.

A friend of mine says that is because the burnng gas produces water vapor that you do not get in an electric oven. He puts a pan of water in the oven on the lowest rack when baking bread. I have not tried that because I only have one oven rack, but in theory it sounds like it should work.

GE Cafe Range

Thanks for the input. I also have a GE range and dishwasher and have not had a problem in 15 years. I use my range quite a bit for stove top cooking and the oven for baking and roasting and don't have any problems with it. My mother has all gas and she claims that you can't beat gas for bread. The GE Cafe range comes in a dual fuel option or all gas. I purchased the dual fuel but until I take delivery, I can get a full refund or exchange it for another appliance. I am still contemplating the all gas option.

Can't offer comments on GE appliances. All ours are Whirlpool. Have been for years and we couldn't be happier with performance and appearance.

However, I can weigh in on gas v. electric.

I've cooked on all electric and all gas and have definitely decided I much, much prefer gas for the top and electric for the oven. Stovetop cooking with gas, to me, is more controlled. When I want to "blast" a pot of water for boiling, it can be done quickly. When done boiling, the heat is instantly gone by turning off the flame. Electric coils take a while to cool down.

If I want a bare simmer, again, all I have to do is to fine tune my flame to achieve that end.

Yes, Dave is correct. Moisture is a byproduct of gas in a gas oven. I bake ALL our bread products and have never had a problem with an electric oven. When I need moisture, I either place a pan of water on the bottom rack or spritz the oven walls with water.

Hope my comments have helped. Good luck on your kitchen appliance research.

I believed that electric was superior for the oven and gas for cooktop, as well. Now, I own an Electrolux gas convection range and am very pleased with the oven.

Back
Top Bottom