Cling wrap in the microwave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I just watched an Alton Brown show and he was cooking crabs. They had been pre-cooked and then sold in his local grocery store. To re-heat, he wrapped them in moistened paper towels then wrapped the package in cling wrap. Microwaved them on high for 2 mins. Have any of you used this method on anything to re-heat?

Similar. The moistened paper towels provide steam and the plastic wrap holds the steam in to heat the crab. It's a good way to heat irregularly shaped objects.

If you're concened about the dangers of plastic wrap in the microwave, don't be as long as the plastic wrap is not in direct contact with the food. Both the crab shell and the paper towel were between the plastic and the food.

I've kind of used his method. I totally forgot about the plastic wrap and have been doing this only using moistened paper towels. They still come out, so maybe I'm just cooking them longer.

Plastic Wrap Illusion

I don't know the technical terms or the reason this happens, other than a vacuum of some kind being created, but I think it is so cool how when you cover a cup or bowl with plastic wrap and don't poke any holes in the top, microwave until very hot, how the wrap gets 'sucked backwards' creating the most unique optical illusion to look at. Just put your finger in the bowl created by the wrap and check it out Anyone know what I'm talking about here? ;)

I don't know the technical terms or the reason this happens, other than a vacuum of some kind being created, but I think it is so cool how when you cover a cup or bowl with plastic wrap and don't poke any holes in the top, microwave until very hot, how the wrap gets 'sucked backwards' creating the most unique optical illusion to look at. Just put your finger in the bowl created by the wrap and check it out Anyone know what I'm talking about here? ;)

Yes. The plastic bubbles up from steam created when the contents of the dish gets hot. When it cools, the plastic gets sucked down like a vacuum packed dish.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom