Another dal mostly in the Instant Pot, including the Rice Cooker mode.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
Today is the first day of Dawali (11-10) - the Indian festival of lights. I made this dal, to take to some friends Sunday (besides eat a bowl today!), and an even larger bowl I'll be making with that butternut recipe I used a while back, except with nothing hot - I'll use some sweet paprika, instead of the chili. I started, when still working on a non-kitchen project, by washing then soaking some brown basmati rice, about 2 hours, then later, draining, then adding just 1¼ c water, and cooking on multigrain ("rice" on mine only cooks 12 min), and set it on low pressure for 20 min, and it comes out perfectly.

I made this using some bok choy from the garden, the greens separated from the stalks, and all of the cauliflower plants I had pulled yesterday in the garden - no heads anywhere! Here's the recipe I based it on, using my own greens, instead of spinach, and I simply mixed some cooked brown basmati with it, towards the end.

I also used moong dal, that was split, but not hulled - something I use a lot with these and urad dal, to keep the hulls. I cooked the rice in the IP, then removed it to a bowl, and used the IP to cook the 3/4 c of dal, in about 2½ c water - fairly thin, to add that rice, later. Meanwhile, I got all of the ingredients, mise en place, as this goes fairly fast.

On the stovetop, in a tb of ghee, over medium low heat, the mustard and cumin seeds are cooked until crackling, then the asafoetida and curry leaves are cooked briefly, then onion is added, to lower the temp, along with about 2 tsp garlic/ginger paste, and cooked about 5 min, or until golden, then added a cup of tomato purée. Cooked over medium heat a couple of minutes, then added a couple tsp of sambar masala, and a half tb of coriander/cumin powder, cooked another 2 minutes, then added the greens, and stirred a minute, then covered, and cooked on medium low, about 5 minutes (spinach just needs wilting). This is reduced considerably, then I scraped it into the IP, with the cooked dal, then stirred in about 3 c of the cooked rice. I let that heat up, a couple of minutes, then turned off, and stirred in the bok choy stems, and let it sit for 3 minutes, while chopping up the cilantro.
Seasonings for the dal and greens dish, using the last of my sambar masala - on my list now! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Brown basmati rice, cooked before the dal. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

About 4 c of greens, a cup of tomato purée, by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Some mustard seeds cumin seeds, and a few Maui Purple peppers, cooking in some ghee. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Some asafoetida and curry leaves, added to the ghee. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Onions, and some of that garlic ginger paste, added to slow down the cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The tomatoes, and the sambar masala and coriander/cumin powder, cooking several minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom