Disinfecting a wooden cutting board?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So if I come to visit, should I be worried or tell someone where I am going?

Do do do do, do do do :ohmy:
Naw--we haven't resorted to using the sawmill for butchering...once the batteries for the camera recharge, I'll take a picture of it...it does have the capacity to saw 36" diameter logs...I use the slab wood for planks when b-b-quing. And, the hens get lots of places to perch thanks to all the extra cuts of wood.

disinfect wood

I would wash it with whatever you use. While wet rinse it with 91% isopropyl alcohol--the water will dilute it as 91% is not the best disinfectant but 70% is. I use 91% as I use to light my charcoal when i BBQ. Be very careful as it is really inflammible and you do not see the flames. You can use chlorox also . Point is to keep it as clean as possible--never leave it used without cleaning it.

hth
peter

ps i have a microbiology background and could have taken this discussion down really complicated paths

I put mind in hot water with bleach and let soak about 5-10 min drain then I scrub with soft scrub with bleach and then rinse them off let air dry or I turn the oven on and heat up to 350 set the board on the rack turn off oven let them dry - reoil with mineral oil and good to go, I have had my boards since married 34 yrs ago, and they till look great. I don't use a wooden one for any kind of meat.

Back
Top Bottom