Ultimate Beef Sandwich with Au Jus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I just finished putting this one in my blog. It's an over-the-top sandwich and can be served to your most discerning guests, or family. If they like beef, they will love this sandwich perpetration.this is the:

Ultimate Beef Sandwich with Au Jus

Though similar to French Dip, the roast beef is made into a delicious sandwich, and then dipped into the au jus for each juicy bit. Enjoy.

Well folks, the finale of sandwiches; then we move on to another topic, one that will naturally follow sandwiches.
For this lesson, we are going to go a little extravagant and make the perfect roast beef sandwich with Au jus.* This sandwich is over the top because the filling is, wait for it, Karen, Beef Standing Rib Roast.**
This sandwich is absolutely one of the classics. It uses a hearty, crusty sub bub to make a sandwich that is dipped in au jus. So what’s this au jus, you ask. Au jus is in its simplest terms, beef broth. You know how I’ve said in previous posts that when you brown ground beef for a meal, you should do it with a lid on the pan, and then pour off the liquid and reserve that liquid for latter use? This recipe is a prime example of why this is a good habit. That juice from the browned ground beef has a wonderfully beefy flavor, with all of the fat easily removed, as it has floated to the top of the container and hardened in the fridge. These two sources of beefy wonder will be used to make the au jus. Here’s how we do it.
First, a tip: If you don’t have a roasting rack with a suitable roasting pan for it, simply teat off a few squares of heavy=duty aluminum foil and roll into 1 inch snakes. Lay them lengthwise on the roasting pan bottom to keep the meat raised and out of the juices, so that it cooks more evenly. But if you have a roasting rack, use it.
Supreme Roast Beef Sandwich with Au Jus
Everyone seems to have the perfect technique of roasting a standing rib roast. This is the roasts often called prime rib, in many restaurants, though it has to be rated USDA Prime (very expensive and hard to get) to truly be prime rib. But a standing rib roast is the same thing, only sold usually as USDA Choice grade, and the least acceptable grade being select, In prime, choc, or select, this cut is a premium chunk of beef. The technique I give you I this post will produce a succulent, tender, and excellent roast, with minimum fuss. And remember, the meat between each rib will serve two people. And have the butcher remove the chine bones from the roast. Have him give them to you as they are great for making beef stocks, broths, and soups.
Tools – Roasting Pan; apple core removing tool; Ramekins; hot pads for each platter
Ingredients:
• standing rib roast with 5 bones
• ½ cup Kosher salt
• 1 tbs black pepper
• 2 tsp Granulated Garlic Powder
• 2 tsp. Granulated Onion Powder
• 1 cube softened butter
• 1 cup de-fatted ground beef drippings
• 2 cups water (or 1 cup water with one cup of your favorite red wine (I don’t cook with wine as I feel it overpowers the natural flavor of the food, though some like it.))
• 1 duxelle-stuffed baked potato per person (See recipe in this post)
• 1 medium sized russet potato per person (choose oval shaped potatoes for this
• ½ stick butter for the duxelles, and 1 stick for the roast
• 3 white, button mushrooms, washed and minced
• 3 cremimi mushrooms (baby portabella) cleaned and minced
• 2 Porcupine (King Boletes) washed and minced
• 2 shallots, peeled and minced
• 1 crusty French or Italian grinder (torpedo, hoagie, submarine) bun per person.
• Coarse, stone ground mustard
• Horseradish
Preheat the oven to 475’F

In a mixing bowl, combiner the softened stick of butter with the black pepper. The half cup Kosher salt, garlic and finally, onion powder. Stir together. Because you have the roast with the bones intact, the bones well act as the meat rack. Dry the roast all over with paper towels. Place the roast, bone-side down, into the roasting pan. Insert your meat thermometer to go off at 130’ F. Pit the roast into the oven and set timer for 25 minutes.
After the 25 minutes is up, reduce the oven temperature to 315’F and roast until thermometer alarm sounds. Remove the roast and let rest for 20 minutes before carving.
Check the toast temperature every hour or sol When it reaches a temperature of 120, stir t the butter melting in our saucepan. Add the minced shallot, and garlic. Stir over medium heat for five minutes. Add the minced mushrooms, and Kosher salt. Stir to combine. Let this cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, stirring every ten minutes or so.
While the duxelles are cooking, run your coring tool lengthwise through the potatoes, pulling out a potato plug. When the duxelles are cooked, pack a tbs., or all you can fit, into the potato tunnel. Cut the plugs in half, and stuff them skin-side out, back into both ends of the potatoes. When the roast comes out of th4 oven. Put the potatoes in, with a pan underneath to cache any drippings. Turn up the oven heat to 425 and bake for 30 minutes.
While the potatoes are baking, and the roast is resting, make the au jus. Remove the roast from the roasting pan, using the heat-resistant gloves to pick it up with. Don’t use forks as they will release that wonderful meat juice. Place the roast onto your clean cutting board. Now, add 1 cup of water to the roasting pan and scrape the bottom with a wooden spoon to release all of that flavorful fond (that’s what you call the dried broth film that forms on the pan bottom), Pour the pan juices, with fond, into the sauce pot. Add the cup of ground beef broth. You might add just a little beef soup base (I use Better Than Bouillon brand as it tastes great) to season, and give it a little color. I like to add a tbs. Or so of steak sauce at this pint, miking sure to stir it in well.
OK, now it’s time to carve the roast. Turn the meat over so that the bones are on the side. Use a sharp knife to cut between the meat, and noes, siding the knife along the bones, until the ribs are removed. Tun the neat over again so that it sits with the bone-side down and positioned so that the length is sideways (perpendicular) to you. With a sharp carving knife, French Chef’s knife, or the longest sharp knife you own, cut thin slices from one end to the other, straight away from you Spread one side of each sandwich bun with the coarse mustard, and the other side with the horseradish. Place one slice of the roast on each bun and fold into thirds. Include the fat as it tastes so amazing. Remove the potatoes from the oven and plate. Pour the Au Jus into the ramekins, one for each serving, and place next to the plates. Put the sandwiches onto the plates, bless the food if so inclined, and dig in.
To eat this sandwich, you have to dip it into the au just before each bite. This preparation is usually served with the beef slices served on a hot plate, with crusty bread on the side. The bread is dipped into the au jus. That dish is known as a French Dip.
I’m not giving you threei versons of this meal. Suffice it to say that you can also roast that standing rib roast in a charcoal kettle BBQ grill, over a divided bed of coals, with a drip pan underneath. Using a good meat thermometer is crucial to both the oven, and BBQ version. The rules are the same; Cook for a short time at high heat, then slow- cook to 130’ F/ Remove, and
Winch is better, I like them both equally well. Goodbye for tonight.

Seeeeeya Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom