Crazy for cast iron!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm so crazy about my cast iron dutch oven that I don't allow anyone else use it. :)

Your #8 no name is most likely Lodge, 8 is the size number although it has nothing to do with the size in inches.

They were not sold as a rough casting as CI is today, but milled after casting.

Sears sold a lot of skillets marked this way up to about 35 years ago. IMO they are light years ahead of Lodge of today.

Sears sold a lot of these

I hate the stuff Lodge is selling today. It is so rough. I've read articles on how to grind and sand them smooth, but why bother when I can buy an old Griswold on eBay for a reasonable price.

CD

I hate the stuff Lodge is selling today. It is so rough. I've read articles on how to grind and sand them smooth, but why bother when I can buy an old Griswold on eBay for a reasonable price.

CD

I have the newer Lodge skillets with the less smooth surfaces. They cook fine. I regularly cook over easy eggs in my 10" skillet after cooking sausages and hash browns. They slide right onto my plate.

Fried chicken is a always better in cast iron. Especially home raised chicken. FB_IMG_1492953728548.jpg

That chicken looks great. What time should I be over for dinner tomorrow? :)

I made some pot pies tonight for dinner. I had some fresh asparagus that I tossed in the CI with some butter, salt, pepper, and fresh garlic. Yum. Kinda a weird side to go with a pot pie, but it was good.

I found this item to replace the Krumkake my mom had. So happy. Hubby suggested I get an aluminum one, I said, no, I'll find one on ebay. LOL. It took awhile, but I found one that I did not get outbid on. I take care of my cast iron the same way Ross mentioned, only I generally season mine with bacon grease, instead of oil. Wash with water only, maybe some sea salt to help any food particles, then rinse, set on the burner, let the water evaporate, then wipe down with bacon grease and wipe it out. Ready for the next go round.

I'm picky about cast iron these days. That said, I found a sweet little 9" Wagner chef's skillet some time back in a thrift store. Then found another, older, Griswold, but the same pan. Gave that one as a gift. Since then, I seem to have accumulated two more of them. Stop me, please...

I'm picky about cast iron these days. That said, I found a sweet little 9" Wagner chef's skillet some time back in a thrift store. Then found another, older, Griswold, but the same pan. Gave that one as a gift. Since then, I seem to have accumulated two more of them. Stop me, please...

I'll send you my address!!!

I started with two from a neighbors yard sale, and well it wasn't long and I started to look for a few more. I have certain ones and sizes for different things I'm doing, sometimes I've three going at same time from stove top and in the oven. I'm still on the hunt for a #12 just for certain things when needed.
MqcBv5l.jpg

Wish I had known, they had a #12 and whatever is the next size up. Could have had them for $5@.

I started with two from a neighbors yard sale, and well it wasn't long and I started to look for a few more. I have certain ones and sizes for different things I'm doing, sometimes I've three going at same time from stove top and in the oven. I'm still on the hunt for a #12 just for certain things when needed.
MqcBv5l.jpg

I'm sure impressed with your display there!! Congrats with no gunk to be seen on the bottoms!!

Thanks for the complements. As far as the bottoms you should of seen some of them when I found them. In the beginning they were mystery skillets to me before they were clean enough to see what they were. Now I'm getting better at Identifying the makers of old dirty skillets if I can't see or read the bottom.

On mine I try to keep the outsides and bottoms wiped down of drips and splatter after cooking. So far so good on that.

Steven, it must have taken a huge amount of work (and devotion) to have cleaned up the bottom of those vintage skillets with generations of burned on history. Again, the display is remarkable. How did you do it?

Kayelle The first few I cleaned with easy off HD oven cleaner, it's 100% lye. Then Sprayed the pan and put it in a plastic trash bag for a few days to soak and not dry out. Then a wire brush gunk lose. Then wash it good with dawn dish soap and SOS pad in hot water. Some pans will take two or three times to get down to bare gray iron. Now I use a plastic container with good fitting lid with water and granulated 100% lye. You can leave it for as long as needed and it's cheaper in the long run.

On the display I had a bare wall on the other side of refrigerator about 30 inches wide with one stud in the middle. That was fine for the first 4 skillets but after I picked up a few more I needed a more secure way to hang more pans. I had a piece of 3/4 inch plywood out in the garage and I cut to size and I wanted more of a look than just stain on it. There is a lot of old fence panel here in north Texas so I decided to face it with that in a pattern. The hooks are small robe hooks I found on line.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom