"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2017, 02:56 PM   #41
Senior Cook

I'm so crazy about my cast iron dutch oven that I don't allow anyone else use it. :)
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #42
Sous Chef

I have my great grandmothers griddle. Over 100 years old. Still use it.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
For those who are crazy about CI there are a bunch of CI groups on FB that you can join.
I belong to one such group, Cast Iron Grills and Hibachi World.
Another is Wagner and Griswold Society. (WAGS) The collectors live here.
Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:07 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Your #8 no name is most likely Lodge, 8 is the size number although it has nothing to do with the size in inches.

They were not sold as a rough casting as CI is today, but milled after casting.

Sears sold a lot of skillets marked this way up to about 35 years ago. IMO they are light years ahead of Lodge of today.

Sears sold a lot of these
I hate the stuff Lodge is selling today. It is so rough. I've read articles on how to grind and sand them smooth, but why bother when I can buy an old Griswold on eBay for a reasonable price.

CD
Old 05-03-2017, 10:14 PM   #45
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I hate the stuff Lodge is selling today. It is so rough. I've read articles on how to grind and sand them smooth, but why bother when I can buy an old Griswold on eBay for a reasonable price.

CD
I have the newer Lodge skillets with the less smooth surfaces. They cook fine. I regularly cook over easy eggs in my 10" skillet after cooking sausages and hash browns. They slide right onto my plate.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:39 AM   #46
Sous Chef

Fried chicken is a always better in cast iron. Especially home raised chicken.Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1492953728548.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	26796
Old 05-04-2017, 11:06 PM   #47
Sous Chef

That chicken looks great. What time should I be over for dinner tomorrow? :)

I made some pot pies tonight for dinner. I had some fresh asparagus that I tossed in the CI with some butter, salt, pepper, and fresh garlic. Yum. Kinda a weird side to go with a pot pie, but it was good.
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:55 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
That chicken looks great. What time should I be over for dinner tomorrow? :)
No kidding. I'm trying to get better at CI frying chicken, but I'm not there yet. I don't know if I'll ever be.

KFC !
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 05:28 AM   #49
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
No kidding. I'm trying to get better at CI frying chicken, but I'm not there yet. I don't know if I'll ever be.

KFC !
Brown it in the pan then put them put it in the oven to finish.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:36 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post

KFC !
If you keep defaulting to KFC, you won't improve your own skills
Old 05-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #51
Assistant Cook

I found this item to replace the Krumkake my mom had. So happy. Hubby suggested I get an aluminum one, I said, no, I'll find one on ebay. LOL. It took awhile, but I found one that I did not get outbid on. I take care of my cast iron the same way Ross mentioned, only I generally season mine with bacon grease, instead of oil. Wash with water only, maybe some sea salt to help any food particles, then rinse, set on the burner, let the water evaporate, then wipe down with bacon grease and wipe it out. Ready for the next go round.
Armecia Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #52
Sous Chef

I'm picky about cast iron these days. That said, I found a sweet little 9" Wagner chef's skillet some time back in a thrift store. Then found another, older, Griswold, but the same pan. Gave that one as a gift. Since then, I seem to have accumulated two more of them. Stop me, please...
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:15 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I'm picky about cast iron these days. That said, I found a sweet little 9" Wagner chef's skillet some time back in a thrift store. Then found another, older, Griswold, but the same pan. Gave that one as a gift. Since then, I seem to have accumulated two more of them. Stop me, please...
I'll send you my address!!!
Old 05-24-2017, 09:52 PM   #54
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I started with two from a neighbors yard sale, and well it wasn't long and I started to look for a few more. I have certain ones and sizes for different things I'm doing, sometimes I've three going at same time from stove top and in the oven. I'm still on the hunt for a #12 just for certain things when needed.
Looking for old Walther PP pistol clip/magazine #981029
Steven c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:17 PM   #55
Sous Chef

Wish I had known, they had a #12 and whatever is the next size up. Could have had them for $5@.
gadzooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:51 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven c View Post
I started with two from a neighbors yard sale, and well it wasn't long and I started to look for a few more. I have certain ones and sizes for different things I'm doing, sometimes I've three going at same time from stove top and in the oven. I'm still on the hunt for a #12 just for certain things when needed.
I'm sure impressed with your display there!! Congrats with no gunk to be seen on the bottoms!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:02 PM   #57
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm sure impressed with your display there!! Congrats with no gunk to be seen on the bottoms!!

Ditto, twice over...

Ross
Old 05-27-2017, 12:05 AM   #58
Cook

Thanks for the complements. As far as the bottoms you should of seen some of them when I found them. In the beginning they were mystery skillets to me before they were clean enough to see what they were. Now I'm getting better at Identifying the makers of old dirty skillets if I can't see or read the bottom.

On mine I try to keep the outsides and bottoms wiped down of drips and splatter after cooking. So far so good on that.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:30 AM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Steven, it must have taken a huge amount of work (and devotion) to have cleaned up the bottom of those vintage skillets with generations of burned on history. Again, the display is remarkable. How did you do it?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:06 PM   #60
Cook

Kayelle The first few I cleaned with easy off HD oven cleaner, it's 100% lye. Then Sprayed the pan and put it in a plastic trash bag for a few days to soak and not dry out. Then a wire brush gunk lose. Then wash it good with dawn dish soap and SOS pad in hot water. Some pans will take two or three times to get down to bare gray iron. Now I use a plastic container with good fitting lid with water and granulated 100% lye. You can leave it for as long as needed and it's cheaper in the long run.

On the display I had a bare wall on the other side of refrigerator about 30 inches wide with one stud in the middle. That was fine for the first 4 skillets but after I picked up a few more I needed a more secure way to hang more pans. I had a piece of 3/4 inch plywood out in the garage and I cut to size and I wanted more of a look than just stain on it. There is a lot of old fence panel here in north Texas so I decided to face it with that in a pattern. The hooks are small robe hooks I found on line.

Tags
cast iron