Molten plastic on bottom of ceramic pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

static

Assistant Cook
I made a ridiculous mistake by putting a hot ceramic pan on a piece of plastic which then melted onto the bottom of the pan.

I got basically all plastic off, but I'm not sure if it's still usable.

Plastic was pretty much on every part of the bottom at the worst point and I used warm water/my fingernails/spoons/sheer panic to get it off.

Is the ceramic coating on the bottom of my Iittala pan ruined because of this?

Put the pan on the stovetop on high heat with some water in it and turn the heat on the highest. Make sure your stove hood is on full blast. Let the burner burn off the plastic. You'll know you're done when it stops smoking. It may not be cosmetically perfect but it will function.

I also put my burnt on pots and pans on the stove with water, turn the heat up high and I add vinegar. It helps getting all the gunk off. I do this when the element in my kettle has a build-up too. Half vinegar, half water.

My mom was famous for doing things like this. Even after you burn it all off like Andy said, you still might get some not-so-pleasant smells for a while. I wouldn't worry about it, though, the pan should be good since it's on the bottom.

I made a ridiculous mistake by putting a hot ceramic pan on a piece of plastic which then melted onto the bottom of the pan.

I got basically all plastic off, but I'm not sure if it's still usable.

Plastic was pretty much on every part of the bottom at the worst point and I used warm water/my fingernails/spoons/sheer panic to get it off.

Is the ceramic coating on the bottom of my Iittala pan ruined because of this?

Welcome to DC.

Josie

Back
Top Bottom