Browning flour for roux?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
When making chocolate roux for gumbo I use Justin Wilsons method of even amounts of flour and olive oil and stirring for 45 minutes until it's the color of dark chocolate. I recently heard about baking flour on a baking sheet in the oven until it gets a nice brown, then finishing in on the stovetop in a pan with oil. Anyone tried that? Opinions please? Stirring continuously for 45 minutes gets a bit old, as I am a lot old. Thanks.

I've used that method the last few times, and it seemed to result in the same flavor. Much easier than constant stirring!

Browning the flour in the oven works according to all I’ve read too. You need to stir the flour occasionally so it browns evenly.

I seem to remember a thread about this subject awhile back.

Browning the flour in the oven works according to all I’ve read too. You need to stir the flour occasionally so it browns evenly.

I have done this once or twice but it takes a looooong time and frankly stove top seems much faster.

Using the oven to brown your flour for roux has the advantage that you can make a whole lot more than you currently need and you'll have some ready for the next time.

I tried the oven method once. that was enough. It came out fine, but close to two hours.

I can do a chocolate roux in a cast iron DO on the cooktop in 20 minutes, tops. It just take a little practice, and I mean a little. You ruin one dark roux, and you pretty quickly know how you did it -- just how a seasoned roux maker told you how to ruin it, but you didn't listen.

Do your mise en place, then concentrate.

CD

Back
Top Bottom