Dinner 3-3-2020 ~ Stupor Tuesday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
It's really "Super Tuesday", aka primary elections in 14 states, but by the time three hours of election coverage is done this evening we might all be in a stupor. We'll be grazing our way through a fine selection of leftovers: seafood salad, baked haddock, cheese mini-raviolis in meatless tomato sauce, ham and bean soup, and yesterday's pot roast. I started already, hence the cross-out above. :LOL:

What will you have for supper?

Bacon-Wrapped Baseball Steak (center cut top sirloin cap steak), Baked & Buttered Idaho, Buttered, Parsleyed Carrot... Salad w/ Thousand Island...

Filets, Bacon-Wrapped.jpg

We had baked fresh cod with butter, lemon,chopped fresh parsley, and garlic. A side of baked potatoes was enough to finish us off.

Been eating less these days but, I suppose, it has to do with age. Once you get into your 70s things change.

We ordered from Mr. Falafel. DH got the shish taouk platter and I got a falafel platter. I got some of his chicken and he got some of my falafel and hummus. His platter came with salad, roast potatoes, pickled turnip, toum, pita, and a pickled pepper. Mine came with a salad, pickled turnip, a pickled pepper, hummus, tahini sauce, and pita. That was really yummy, well, all but the pickled pepper. Sometimes they are nice, but often there is some some bitter preservative in the pickling brine that makes them inedible to me.

Went to vote today and came home with a container of Tamales, both chicken and pork. I'd call that a win.

We had guacamole, chips, salsa and refried beans all set up and pretty near ready to go with the tamales.

I pulled up most of those covered greens out there, getting an overflowing 12 qt bowl filled with them - the rest of the plants went in the compost. I wanted to make some tacos with them, so I caramelized some sliced onions, followed by some chopped cremini. After the mushrooms were browned, the steamed chard (about 10 oz fresh) and a generous cup of jicama, sliced and cut into about 1/4" pieces. This was sautéed until most of the water had cooked out, then it was removed to a bowl.

Meanwhile, a salsa was made with some dehydrated tomatillos (1.6 oz, a little over 1 lb equivalent), 8 moritas, and 8 pan roasted garlic cloves. The tomatillos and moritas are dry toasted in a skillet, before the garlic, then soaked in hot water. These are then blended with the garlic, to make a paste, then put in the wok, with water I rinsed the blender out with, then it was cooked down about 8 min on medium high, until thickened. Those dehydrated tomatillos, when dry roasted in a pan, taste as good as grilled, fresh tomatillos, in these salsas!
Pay roasted moritas and dried tomatillos, ready to be soaked. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Paste, of the roasted garlic and soaked tomatillos and moritas. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tomatillo and morita paste, cooking down. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Paste, cooked down for about 8 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Heating up the tortillas over an open flame. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished taco, with the onion, greens, mushroom, and jicama filling, topped with the salsa, queso fresco, and cilantro. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The cook took a day off so we went to Steak N Shake..

Jeannie had Chili 5 Ways and the cook had a Frisco Burger.. We each had chocolate shakes..

Settled for cookies for dessert..

Ross

We had to run errands and Mom had a hair appointment, so we got some fried chicken from the store next to where she gets her hair done. That was lunch (with macaroni salad) and supper (with mashed potatoes and a side salad).

Back
Top Bottom