Fishy Friday Dinner Thread 10/8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Orange-Glazed Chilean Sea Bass, Boiled Rice (Orange Drizzle), Steamed Green Beans W/ a Jack Cheese Sprinkle........

hilean Sea Bass, Orange Glaze  10-8-21.jpg

I got an idea for a cornmeal based batter that I plan on using tonight on pacific rock cod, accompanied by hush puppies instead of French fries, and a side of coleslaw, if I can find my coleslaw dressing recipe. The fish will be pan fried, while the hush puppies will be deep fried.

Last edited:
If you like KFC style wet slaw, then this recipe is as easy, and as close as it gets. Very refreshing, and tasty. I've converted several creamy slaw lovers with this recipe.

Chief's Juicy Col Slaw Recipe:
Ingredients:
Cole Slaw:

I love the Cole Slaw served at a familiar chicken restaurant. It is soooo juicy and sweet, with the tangy flavors of cabbage and onion perfectly blended together with salad dressing, and carrot. Through good old trial and error, I developed this recipe for a wonderfully juicy slaw. The secret is the grated cabbage, which just draws up moisture with every bite.

I can’t give you exact measurements as I add a bit of this and that until it tastes just right. I can give you approximate measurements though, and the little extra something that turns regular slaw into the really good stuff. This version almost quenches your thirst. Hope you like it.

Ingredients:
1 medium head green or purple Cabbage (I prefer green)
½ onion
3 tbs. Splenda or Sugar
2 carrots
½ cup tangy salad dressing (sandwich spread, like Miracle Whip)
¼ cup Ice Water

Quarter the cabbage and shred on medium grater. Peel, then finely chop the onion. Peel, then using a vegetable peeler, shave all of the carrots and add to the cabbage with the remaining ingredients. Let set for five minutes; then taste. Add more sweetener, or salad dressing to get the flavor you desire. Cover and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour before serving.

My mother used to add raisins, and dice apple to her slaw. I don’t, but it’s tasty. A natural side for this is hot, or cold baked beans, and maybe some fresh corn on the cob.

As a coating for fish, I've tried everything from straight flour. to tempura, corn meal, and commercial coatings, including Panko, and regular bread crumbs. One that gave ne great texture, and flavor, was dredging in flour, egg wash, then uncooked farina, seasoned with S & P. Of course you can season with Old Bay, paprika, whatever you like.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
One of my all-time favorite soups: Beef Barley Soup with Mushrooms. Also, cast iron skillet rolls.

7C42D3B0-A7A9-4C60-A720-886C89D84BFB_1_105_c.jpg

I got an idea for a cornmeal based batter that I plan on using tonight on pacific rock cod, accompanied by hush puppies instead of French fries, and a side of coleslaw, if I can find my coleslaw dressing recipe. The fish will be pan fried, while the hush puppies will be deep fried.

If you can't find your recipe, have a look at this Jacques Pépin video (less than four minutes) that gives his recipe. https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=246634690744737

Tell me more about the Pacific rock cod. Do you happen to know its scientific name? Is it actually a cod, or is that just part of the name? I can find stuff about Pacific cod and about rock cod, but I can't find anything about "Pacific rock cod".
PHP:

Tonight was a chickpea salad with pita bread. The chickpea salad was one with mayo and some other ingredients for flavoring mixed in. Pretty good, inexpensive, and healthy.

Happy Aloha Friday!!

I just happened to see that one of the local food trucks here in Cowboyville that serves Hawaii-Style food, was offering on pre-order/pre-pay Hawaiian food that could be picked up tonight.

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!
:clap:

IMG_0946.jpg

Starting from that green thing ... Laulau, steamed White Rice, a slice of fresh Pineapple, Chicken Long Rice, Lomi Lomi Salmon, Haupia and Macaroni Salad.
(I've added some links to describe some of these dishes)
:yum:
This food truck just opened in April; this is their first Aloha Friday Special and DH said that he would eat this again, but not his other food, he likes mine better. :kiss:
Now like a good local gal that I am, I cracked a Beer open to wash it all down with :LOL:

Last edited:
I cooked all day...back in February, when I made eight quarts of spaghetti sauce. I pulled the last quart from the freezer Wednesday, but didn't bother with it yesterday. Made cavatappi to go with tonight, along with one of the last salads of the year.

IMG_20211008_215354156.jpg

Tonight was a chickpea salad with pita bread. The chickpea salad was one with mayo and some other ingredients for flavoring mixed in. Pretty good, inexpensive, and healthy.

Oh! This was interesting to see because I also make a chickpea salad from a recipe I found online many years ago and have loved it ever since. I process the chickpeas with diced onion and celery and, like you, mix it up with some mayo and salt & pepper. I stuff it into pocket pitas. Super yum.

Tell me more about the Pacific rock cod. Do you happen to know its scientific name? Is it actually a cod, or is that just part of the name? I can find stuff about Pacific cod and about rock cod, but I can't find anything about "Pacific rock cod".
PHP:

Do I look like Jacques Cousteau to you? In California they call it Pacific red snapper, which is really rock cod or rockfish, not to be confused with the James Garner character from Rockford Files. We also get Alaskan cod, sometimes labeled as pollock.

Last edited:
Thanks for info on the fish. The names can be so random that it's hard to know what someone is talking about.

Back
Top Bottom