Cold Peach Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Since we have 4 peach trees, I'm always hunting for things to use the peaches in. When I have this I usually have it with a light meal say a chicken sandwich or just a chicken or tuna salad and a crusty roll..
Cold Peach Soup
4-peaches
2-c. dry white wine
1-c. water
3-Tab. sugar
1/4-tea. cinnamon
1/4-tea. curry (optional)
3-whole cloves
Orange slices, for garnish
sprigs of mint for garnish
I plunge peaches in boiling water, leave a minute or so and then remove the skins and pits.Puree in blender or f/p and transfer the puree to an enameled saucepan. Add wine, water,sugar, cinnamon,curry and cloves. Bring to boil and simmer, stirring for about 10 min. Remove cloves and cool soup. Chill at lest 4 hrs. Serve in chilled bowls, garnished with orange slice and mint sprig.
ENJOY
kadesma:)
wasn't quite sure if this belonged here or in soups, sooo :LOL:

ironchef said:
kadesma, have you every tried using a champagne or sparkling wine instead of white wine?
No I haven't Ironchef, next time I make it I'll try one of them. Do you have a suggestion for each one...I'm mainly a red wine person and used a sauvignon blanc, Husch Renegade that my brother in law had given me. Since my husband gifted me with a nice wine cooler for christmas I have a Gran Spumante by Ballatore and bottle of Segura Viudas , brut reserva heredad cava chilled..If you have a suggestion I'd be happy to get it and give it a try . I don't know much about wines, but, I'm always open and wanting to learn more.

kadesma said:
No I haven't Ironchef, next time I make it I'll try one of them. Do you have a suggestion for each one...I'm mainly a red wine person and used a sauvignon blanc, Husch Renegade that my brother in law had given me. Since my husband gifted me with a nice wine cooler for christmas I have a Gran Spumante by Ballatore and bottle of Segura Viudas , brut reserva heredad cava chilled..If you have a suggestion I'd be happy to get it and give it a try . I don't know much about wines, but, I'm always open and wanting to learn more.

The Segura would be a good choice. It's pretty dry and crisp which will help bring out the sweetness in the peaches. Do you have any aversion to not cooking out the alcohol in the wine? Unless you're serving it to kids, you might want to try mixing the puree in with the bubbly but not cook it, and then proceed with the remainder of the recipe. Basically, simmer the peaches with the spices and water only, then puree, cool, and mix with the Segura, and chill. If you do try it, let me know how it comes out. Maybe I'll try it as a special one night.

ironchef said:
The Segura would be a good choice. It's pretty dry and crisp which will help bring out the sweetness in the peaches. Do you have any aversion to not cooking out the alcohol in the wine? Unless you're serving it to kids, you might want to try mixing the puree in with the bubbly but not cook it, and then proceed with the remainder of the recipe. Basically, simmer the peaches with the spices and water only, then puree, cool, and mix with the Segura, and chill. If you do try it, let me know how it comes out. Maybe I'll try it as a special one night.
Thank you IC, I'll give it a try..Will only add the Segura after I cool the soup and will let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help.

ironchef said:
Ironchef,
we made two batches of the soup...the one you suggested, turned out identical to the simmered one, the difference being that it is potent, if you've not eaten when you try it. It is lucious according to my two sons-in-law and one daughter, they all tried it as did I..We all agree very good..I did do something different to mine when I served it and that was adding a small tablespoon of creme fraiche, I served in a martini like glass, added a thin half slice of orange then the creme fraiche alongside with a small sprig of mint.. My other daughter had the soup that had the alcohol cooked off and she added the creme fraiche as well ..
thought I would let you know how it went..I would make it again your way,but, keep portions small to guests unless they were warned in advance:LOL: Thank you for your suggestion and help.

kadesma said:
Ironchef,
we made two batches of the soup...the one you suggested, turned out identical to the simmered one, the difference being that it is potent, if you've not eaten when you try it. It is lucious according to my two sons-in-law and one daughter, they all tried it as did I..We all agree very good..I did do something different to mine when I served it and that was adding a small tablespoon of creme fraiche, I served in a martini like glass, added a thin half slice of orange then the creme fraiche alongside with a small sprig of mint.. My other daughter had the soup that had the alcohol cooked off and she added the creme fraiche as well ..
thought I would let you know how it went..I would make it again your way,but, keep portions small to guests unless they were warned in advance:LOL: Thank you for your suggestion and help.

kadesma, glad you enjoyed it. Thinking about it, I forgot to suggest something that might've taken some of the bite out of the alcohol. In each bowl or martini glass, you could add a small scoop of vanilla ice cream to the soup. In effect, you did do that with the creme fraiche, but maybe something heavier like the ice cream would've helped to tone it down a bit more.

Another thing would be to add more water or liquid when making the puree, that way when you mix it together with the champagne/sparking wine later on, you won't have to use as much alcohol to get it to the consistency that you want.

I'm definitely going to try this K both ways.

I really don't think there'd be enough alcohol to affect anyone, straight up, but a warning is always the responsible thing to do.

I reckon each serve would be less than 2% v/v but still a no no for children.

ironchef said:
kadesma, glad you enjoyed it. Thinking about it, I forgot to suggest something that might've taken some of the bite out of the alcohol. In each bowl or martini glass, you could add a small scoop of vanilla ice cream to the soup. In effect, you did do that with the creme fraiche, but maybe something heavier like the ice cream would've helped to tone it down a bit more.

Another thing would be to add more water or liquid when making the puree, that way when you mix it together with the champagne/sparking wine later on, you won't have to use as much alcohol to get it to the consistency that you want.
Ironchef, the ice cream is an idea I'll keep in mind for next time...since I have 3 trees loaded with peaches, I have a feeling this will be made again:LOL: I'll also remember to add more liquid if not adding the ice cream or creme fraiche..Thanks again for your help.

Brooksy said:
I'm definitely going to try this K both ways.

I really don't think there'd be enough alcohol to affect anyone, straight up, but a warning is always the responsible thing to do.

I reckon each serve would be less than 2% v/v but still a no no for children.
I hope you like it Brooksey..I made two versions of the soup the first cooks off the alcohol and my grandkids each had some of that one..The other was consumed by mommies and daddies:LOL: who all enjoyed it. I enjoyed it too, but in a smaller glass, it did have a little kick to it and if I'd served a larger portion, WELLLLLL :LOL:
kadesma

kadesma, I have been looking for a cold peach soup recipe since it's been so hot here.

This sounds deelish, especially with iron chef's suggestion about the bubbly, and your various additions and versions.

mudbug said:
kadesma, I have been looking for a cold peach soup recipe since it's been so hot here.

This sounds deelish, especially with iron chef's suggestion about the bubbly, and your various additions and versions.
Thanks mudbug,
we enjoyed it. In fact, there was a little left from saturday, I couldn't part with so I had it last night before I went to bed...Still good.. I hope you like it if you try it.

Back
Top Bottom