Fig Tree down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dove

DC Grandma
:ohmy: My 12 foot Fig Tree fell over yesterday! I am so upset over that! It was more like a very verry large bush..I should have let my boys trim it to look like a tree last year..:( It is just full of fruit from green to over ripe. John said "now we can reach the top figs Mom"...should have sent him to the wood shed !

I have been putting them on a cookie sheet and into the freezer. Then I use my food saver and back in the freezer they go.
Marge

Dove I am sorry to here that, Was it rotting inside the trunk or was it just shear weight of the tree ?:(

weight of the tree..I think we will leave it alone until Fall when all the leaves are gone and then the boys will trim it and set it upright.
The weather has been so hot DS thought he should set the sprinkler system come on twice a day ..so I think between the weight and the ground being kept wet (three times a week) it just gave way.

At least something good can come of the tree falling down and you have a ton of figs! Do you think when your boys set it upright this fall it'll be OK?

Dove said:
My fingers, toes and eyes are crossed..:)

Dove, I am so sorry about your fig tree.:( I don't think that it will survive. Most likely when it fell over it broke the taproot. You could consult with a local arborist or your local University of California Cooperative Extension. Here is how to contact a local Master Gardener, who maybe able to help you with your problem.

Good luck, SC

GARDENING OR PLANT QUESTIONS?
Call the UC Master Gardeners
Monday – Friday
9:00 a.m. to 12:00 noon and 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
(916) 875-6913

Oh Dove - figs are a fruit from heaven!!!!!! I hope there is something that can be done to save it. Enjoy the ones you have frozen though! (sorry about running away this afternoon too - got a phone call, then a neighbor came over, and then everyone wanted supper!)

Fig Tree

GB just posted a picture of my fig tree that fell..It wouldn't let me post it. It is in the Members Pictures.
this is a young tree..I'd say no more than 5 years old.

Thanks GB!!

My pleasure Dove! It is an amazing looking tree. It is the first fig tree I have ever seen. As a matter of fact I didn't even realize they grew on trees :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom