Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad was one of those DI's (drill instructors) that wore the Smoky the Bear hats like in An Officer and a Gentleman. He trained troops to fight in the Viet Nam war and commented on what a difference there was in the young men at the end of basic training. My dad also fought along side his troops in Viet Nam. I think that it will be the same for your son, too. Try and hang in there for his sake if that's what he has his mind set on.

A lot in our family have served in the military. My dad in Vietnam, a cousin in Desert Storm, others in WWI and WWII, etc. I can't think of a single mother that was happy with them going off to war.
There is the pride you have when you see how much they have grown up and matured, but the fear is always there. How could it not be considering what they are doing for a living? The best you can do is support him and pray a lot. It's hard, because you have absolutely no control over what he is doing and what might happen to him, so make sure if he does go off you contact the branch he is in and find out about support groups in your area.
I am proud of our soldiers, but I don't envy any of their close family (parents, spouses, siblings, etc), and I hate how we treat them when they come home. We just don't do enough for them or their families I think...

I photograph birds. There is a fence near my mailbox, I drive to the mailbox, and what do I see, a bird I have never seen before since I lived here in PA. He was sitting on the fence and I was so mad
icon8.gif
that I did not have my camera with me. He was a male Kestral, beautiful colorful bird. They don't hang out at the bird feeders, they eat live prey. I don't know if I will ever see that bird again.
If it wasn't so cold and windy out today, I would stay out there with a camera and see if he comes back. The mailbox is far from the house which is why I drive to the box, I live in the country.

Hope that you get a picture soon, LadyCook61---if you're really determined you might want to call your local county agent/wildlife departments and see if there have been any other spottings. Maybe they have changed some of their migrational patterns.

Ya need one of those motion detecting, time lapsed cameras, LOL.
Otherwise we could pull out one of DC's GPS units and ambush it for ya!

DC started stocking em for members that had a tendency to wander off without letting anyone know where they went to!;)

We threatened Bilby with it first.:LOL:

And the ankle bracelet, as far as I know, is permanently attached to Buckytom and comes complete with electro shocker controlled by the Admins!:devilish:

Come to think of it.. maybe I should double check myself!:huh:

DC started stocking em for members that had a tendency to wander off without letting anyone know where they went to!;)

We threatened Bilby with it first.:LOL:

And the ankle bracelet, as far as I know, is permanently attached to Buckytom and comes complete with electro shocker controlled by the Admins!:devilish:

Come to think of it.. maybe I should double check myself!:huh:

LOL way too loud!!!:ROFLMAO:

Here is my vent:

I have had the worst luck the last little while. In November, on a very busy morning and the day I had an orchestra concert to perform in my house flooded. A sewage pipe backed up. It took a month to get all the carpet replaced, so for that whole time my house was all torn apart. At least insurance covered it all.

Then in January we had a pipe break outside and the water pressure pretty much washed my garden away, including the pansies I had planted so I wouldn't have to plant spring flowers while I was pregnant.

Then, last Thursday the main waterline broke. (The moron who installed it used a pipe that was an inch too short and just wedged it together). All my new carpet got soaked and now I have carpet and padding torn up again to air out. At least this time the water was clean so we don't have to replace it all again.

Then yesterday, we got back into town for a trip and found a police report on our door and half of our fence missing. One of the neighbors had ran off the road, over the raspberries, through our fence, and nearly hit the house. At least we don't have to pay for it. But now 8 months pregnant and very sore and tired I have to try and prevent B from stepping on carpet tacks inside, and from escaping out of the broken fence outside. I just want a clean/safe house/yard before my baby comes! Is that so much to ask?

B's Girl----oh, my, what rotten tomato luck. So sorry to hear about all the calamities and now you're 8 months pregnant on top of it. Take pictures so that down the road you can share the disaster with your friends and family as it will make for great conversation and you might even laugh about it. Though not now. In the meantime hang in there and hopefully your insurance company will handle all of it. For major home repairs I sometimes ask my insurance company who they recommend and they give me at least 3-4 companies in my area to use. Never have been disappointed.

Good Lord what rotten luck, hope things get better for you! Just think one more month and you will have a new baby! Probably less than a month now? Definitely have to share pictures of that.
And as Expatgirl pointed out, hopefully someday this will all make for an inspirational and amusing story to tell your grandkids!

"Oh you think you are having a bad month, well just let me tell you about that time back in Nov 07..."

Sorry, B'sgirl! It's harder when things happen at home near the end of your pregnancy. It really screws with our nesting instincts! But in a month, you'll have your arms full of your new little bundle and things won't seem so bad. (It's a good thing, too, because by then, something else will have broken! LOL)

Suffering from spring fever, are you? Take a day off. Go for a nice walk in the mountains, or whatever outdoor attractions there are in your area.

I am soo tired right now. We have two minivans, a voyager for DW's business, and the family Town & Country. First, the T&C won't start, so I have to jump it and drive it down to the parts store to swap out the battery for a new one. Heavy lifting and I am not supposed to lift anything heavier than a jug of milk! But, now it is working fine again.
Then her Voyager won't start! Turns out she ran it out of gas! So, I go to the service station and fill a 5 gallon can of gas, get it started, and find out the alternator is cracked and wont properly charge the battery. So, I take out the old alternator and again take a trip to the parts store for a new one. Did I mention I am not supposed to be driving here??
Got the new one in, took it to the gas station and finished filling it, and of course whenever I am at the gas station I always check the fluids. Hey, guess what??!! Needs an oil change. Just finished that and now it is all set and ready for her to use.
Then the drier starts making horrible squeaking sounds. Take it apart (man those drums are heavy!!), and find it needed a serious cleaning on the inside! Cleaned it all out, replaced the belt, and had to tighten one of the wheels up. Now it is working fine.
Nothing else better break cause I am wiped out and hurting!

Buddy, Buddy, Buddy!!!!!!! You are going to have to stop doing these things however inconvenient they are. This is when you play supervisor and only supervisor. After my dad had his heart attack, he was the second most grumpiest person ever to be put on this earth and then there was my mum who has an Irish temper and got grumpy because dad was grumpy, and so became the grumpiest person on this earth. Dad wasn't allowed to drive or lift either and in those days, mum didn't drive outside her neighbouring suburbs and dad didn't like her to drive when he was in the car. (She now drives to visit my brother who lives nearly three hours away!) My brother was able to do some of the heavy lifting but he was in medical school so wasn't around a lot, so a lot fell to mum with dad supervising. Thankfully I was a kid so wasn't expected to help in those instances cos I am sure one of my parents was about to kill the other and I didn't want to witness it!! ;-) You send the DW to the store to get the parts, and you don't use the drier for a while. Your health is much more important than the inconvenience. The doctors tell you to rest for a reason you know.

BT, you better give the ankle bracelet to Buddy so that he is under house arrest!!! I'll use the DC GPS to track you!! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom