Ceviche

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I was reading a book and it kept referring to ceviche. What I gleaned from the book is that it is raw fish, chopped up and mixed with cilantro and lime juice. Is that correct? The book didn't specify a particular fish, in fact it mentioned that just abuot anything would work with this. It also said the lime juice "cooks" the fish. I'm a wee bit skeptical of THAT claim. Anyone know much about this? I'd appreciate a more knowledgeable answer.

Ceviche is great stuff alix and everything you said is pretty much true. Ceviche uses acid, usually lime or lemon juice, to chemically cook the fish. it is not cooked with heat, but the acid does change the structure and texture of the fish as if it were cooked with heat. It is delicious stuff. Very refreshing. I can't get enough of it.

i loooooove ceviche!!!

i've had some standard stuff, usually a firm white fish, cilantro, garlic, celery, onions, chiles, in an acid of vinegar and lemon/lime.

i also like ceviche preidente, which includes shrimp, squid, and firm white fish.

I love ceviche too. One of my Aunties makes it kinda like a pico di gallo with tomatoes and stuff. I've seen it made with avocado, grapefruit, mango...all kinds of stuff.

It is indeed delicious stuff! And very popular these days.

Shrimp ceviche is usually/often made with cooked shrimp (but just barely cooked), so maybe that's a type to start with.

I had one that was made with red snapper and it was delish. I asked the server at the restaurant how they make it and he said it was marinated in lime juice for several hours. The acid changes the texture of the fish and it's almost cooked. I did not taste any rawness.

The one I had was made with finely diced red snapper marinated in lime juice (lots of it) and then tossed in with finely diced tomatoes, red onion, avacados, cilantro, jalapeno and garlic. It was served in a martini glass - I can't get the taste out of my mouth. I think I need to go to San Angel in Oralando at Epcot again to enjoy this treat.

there's this hole-in-the-wall dive mexican restaurant (which, of course, is the kind that serves the best mexican food) here in b'more called los amigos that has A+++ ceviche. you can either get the regular, which is just white fish, or ceviche mixto, which is fish, shrimp, squid, and a big ol clam. either one comes with long thin slivers of onion and chopped bits of cilantro floating in the lime juice on the plate. the definately use some sort of chile, tho, because some nights it's hot enough to peel the paint off the wall. fantastic stuff anyway!

Ooh I'm going to try this next time I go fishing ^.^ I mainly catch snapper, I've been looking for different ways to cook it. When you have extra fresh fish, you should do something special :)

Wow. Thanks guys. Being a sushi fan the rawness factor doesn't really bug me. Can I just toss stuff in til it looks good or are there certain proportions I should observe? GB, will check out your link later, must dash today.

The important ingredient is the acid. As long as you have enough of that to "cook" the fish then the rest of the ingredients you can do to taste.

I have a friend who lives on the northeast coast and has access to all kinds of fresh seafood. He makes ceviche with swordfish, scallops, shrimp, and whatever else looks fresh that day.

OK here is my question for all of those who have made it since I have never made it myself. With sushi you need to make sure your fish is sushi grade (highest quality). Does your fish for ceviche need to be of the same quality or will the acid give you a little leeway? I would certainly not use questionable fish (ever), but does it have to be sushi grade?

I'd want the fish to be sushi grade. While the acid in a ceviche gives the fish the appearance of being cooked, no heat has been applied to kill any bacteria present. Does the acid do all that heat would have done???

OK. This is all very valuable info. How do ensure I am buying sushi grade fish? And here is another question. We have an Asian market that has tank after tank full of fish. If I get them to kill me one of those babies would that be OK? LOL. That didn't come out exactly the way I wanted it to, but I think you get what I mean.

For ceviche, sushi grade does not always apply since you're not always using fish that goes in sushi. For ceviche, I prefer a mild white fish like halibut, sea bass, snapper, etc. You're not really going to go to a store and see something labeled as "sushi grade" halibut for example. Just buy the freshest possible fish. Ask the fishmonger for his input.

Sadly to say, I have not tried this dish yet... and considering how much I love sushi... (even tho different) you think I would have tried it by now. I see it on the menu and think about it, but always end up deciding against it. I must try!!!! Someone, please f/u with me in 2 weeks to make sure I have tried it!!! Otherwise I will keep "meaning to" but never follow through. Arrrgghh!

Back
Top Bottom