Do you have a secret ingredient?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil

Senior Cook
Or maybe you picked up a little trick you'd like to share. I, for instance, put a teaspoon of cinnamon in my scratch chocolate cake recipe. I just did it one day and, "wow". Been doin' it ever since. Care to share?

While it's definitely not what I'd call a "secret" ingredient, I have to say that I find a squeeze of fresh lemon (or sometimes lime) juice adds just the right "something" to many many different things - both sweet & savory. I go through a lot of both.

What's more of a "secret" ingredient for me would be the addition of good-quality canned anchovies to many Italian dishes & vegetable sautes. Chopped/minced & added to sauces, olive oil when sauteeing, salad dressings, etc., it adds a wonderful depth of flavor that even folks who claim to hate anchovies like.

BreezyCooking said:
What's more of a "secret" ingredient for me would be the addition of good-quality canned anchovies to many Italian dishes & vegetable sautes. Chopped/minced & added to sauces, olive oil when sauteeing, salad dressings, etc., it adds a wonderful depth of flavor that even folks who claim to hate anchovies like.

ANCHOVIES!:ROFLMAO: I CANNOT GET ENOUGH OF THEM!!

Anchovies add umami, also. I, too, like to sneak them into things like salad dressing -- especially when people claim to not like them.:devilish:

dried celery leaves

during the gardening season, I dry the leaves from my celery stalks. Blanch for 1 1/2 minutes and dry in a food dehydrator. You could use store bought celery, but the flavor will not be nearly as intense as home grown celery. I use it in the winter sprinkled in most soups, in meatloaf, on scramble eggs, in potato salad and egg salad, it is a must for potato soup and corn chowder. Adds a nice flavor to dishes. And it keeps me from having to purchase celery out of season:) .

BreezyCooking said:
While it's definitely not what I'd call a "secret" ingredient, I have to say that I find a squeeze of fresh lemon (or sometimes lime) juice adds just the right "something" to many many different things - both sweet & savory. I go through a lot of both.

I too put lime in a lot of things. It can really brighten up a savory dish. If a recipe calls for lemon more times than not I substitute lime - especially in cocktail sauce. A lot of soups I order in a restaurant lack something - I usually just ask for some lemon or lime and add it - it works especially well for tomato florentine or a Mexican/tortilla soup.

I consider lime juice my secret ingredient in my pesto - it really perks up the flavor.

I'm also guilty of tossing a bit of Old Bay into things (it's so good).
I also like to add a bit of commercial curry powder to different things (even egg salad) it makes people wonder whats in there:chef:

I add cinnamon to anything thats dark chocolate, or so chocolaty that its almost more bitter than sweet. Like Haagen-Dazs chocholate sorbet. The cinnamon takes away the bitterness somehow, and I just like chocolate with cinnamon (like you do, concindering its your secret ingredient also).

Great tips, y'all. My secret ingredients are orange zest and or lemon zest (where you rub off the orange and or lemon rind off the fruits--I use a fine food grater (finally invested in a zester which is great but a grater is just fine as long as you don't grate in the white stuff --that's bitter). Anyway I use the zest (mostly the orange) in cake recipes, cookies, marinades, pancakes, breads, etc. The taste enhancer factor is wonderful!!!!!!

jennyema said:
ANCHOVIES!:ROFLMAO: I CANNOT GET ENOUGH OF THEM!!

Anchovies add umami, also. I, too, like to sneak them into things like salad dressing -- especially when people claim to not like them.:devilish:
Ah Jenny,
me too, my kids think they hate anchovies, but gobble up a cream cheese dip with anchovies in it...I told them the ingredients when they got old enough to ask how I made it, and they will still eat it now and even ask for it..But the fun part was sneaking in those chovies :angel:
kadesma

a light sprinkle of allspice on boiled seafood, esp. boiled crawfish, makes many, many people wonder... "what is that 'different' flavor?"

Soy sauce + anchovies = nuc mam!
I keep a bottle (Squid brand) and just add from a few drops to a teaspoon in savory dishes. Funny, you only taste when it's NOT there, and it adds something indefinable to things like tuna salad, and even spaghetti.
It comes in about a quart bottle - should last about 10 years!!:-p

I put a splash of Raspberry Vinegar in my salad dressings, even the classic balsamic vinegarette... perks everything up.. but don't tell anyone.

Back
Top Bottom