Liquid to egg ratio for quiche? I'm baffled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChefGeoff

Assistant Cook
I would like to make a quiche - this is my first. I've researched and reviewed several recipes, but one thing that confounds me is the ratio of egg to liquid (half and half, cream). I have seen some as little as 1/3 cup per egg, and some as much as a cup per egg (deep dish).

Who knows the ins and outs? Will cream or half and half produce a better quiche? How does the addition of the liquid help the quiche?

Also, I've seen people say to brush the crust with eggwhites and blind bake to keep it crispy - is this a good practice?

Thanks!

Geoff

I'd say less cream makes the filling firmer. So, I think the ratio is a matter of whether you like you filling firm or soft. :)

Oh, I missed the last bit.

Yeah, I generally blind bake pie crusts, because it gives them a less soggy texture. The brushing with egg white also seems like a good idea, because it would reduce the amount of liquid that goes into the base, and keep it crispier.

that's what i would have thought, since quiche is usually creamy and eggs, like fritattas, are a little tougher.

Thanks!

As you say, with never having made one, and several hundred recipes for baking a quiche available... I would think you could forget the liquid/egg ratio, pick a recipe and go with it. I wouldn't make it more difficult than it is.

The recipe I looked at called for 6 eggs to 1 cup of milk, and 1/2 to 1 cup of grated cheese. Then you go from there.

If I were you, I would blind bake the crust. I've had soggy crust on custard pies (which is what a quiche is), and it's terrible.

1 egg will just barely set 1 cup of liquid; 6 eggs per cup would be approaching scrambled egg consistency. 1 egg per cup might be workable for an individual serving, pot pie sized quiche, but i can`t imagine how you'd be able to slice a normal sized quiche and not have it fall apart.

i generally use from 4 to 6 eggs for a quiche of about 12 or 13 inches across and filled to about a 1 1/2 inch depth. i use about 2 to 2 1/2 cups liquid.

as far as liquids go, cream will give you a very rich, but heavier quiche. 1/2 & 1\2 is probably more commonly used. personally, i prefer a lighter quiche, and generally use plain, non-fat yogurt for a sour-cream-like tart flavor and slightly reduced fat content.

i don't bake my crusts first.

good luck with your quiche! ;)

Back
Top Bottom