Good Friday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I already have a hot cross bun recipe and posted on my client's blog, but I thought y'all might like a few insights into this humble confection:

There are many superstitions surrounding hot cross buns:

They supposedly won’t spoil or mold for an entire year.

A piece given to someone who is ill will help them recover.

Sharing one with friend will secure a lasting friendship.

Taking one on a sea voyage will protect against shipwrecks.

And, my personal favorite, a hot cross bun hung in the kitchen throughout the year will prevent kitchen fires and ensure all baked goods turn out perfectly. It will most likely also attract every flying insect in the immediate area.

Last edited:
I already have a hot cross bun recipe and posted on my client's blog, but I thought y'all might like a few insights into this humble confection:

A piece given to someone who is ill will help them recover.

Sharing one with friend will secure a lasting friendship.

Taking one on a sea voyage will protect against shipwrecks.

And, my personal favorite, a hot cross bun hung in the kitchen throughout the year will prevent kitchen fires and ensure all baked goods turn out perfectly. It will most likely also attract every flying insect in the immediate area.
There's also a tradition/superstition/whatever, in parts of England that if a husband and wife share a HxB on Good Friday they will live in harmony with no arguing for a whole year.

I know this for a fact because I think the ones they're selling at our local grocery store are leftovers from last Easter!!!

Dinner last night (Good Friday) was Baked cod, Caesar salad (with homemade dressing), garlic bread (with homemade garlic butter) and stuffed clams.

My father ate hot cross buns all year! He would have me stock pile them in the freezer and wrap them so they wouldn't get freezer burned. He used them as part of his "breakfast rotation" of cereal, bran muffin, cereal, toast, cereal hot cross bun!

There's also a tradition/superstition/whatever, in parts of England that if a husband and wife share a HxB on Good Friday they will live in harmony with no arguing for a whole year.

Can we go back to yesterday...that would be so refreshing.:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom