Mughlai cuisine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suthseaxa

Senior Cook
Is anyone here a fan of the royal style of Indian cooking, specially the Persian-influenced flavours of the Mughlai kitchens? I know I am and I wondered if anyone had any sources or recipes to share? I have some particular favourites. Decadent, colourful and creamy, it's truly wonderful!

14906982_10154541519520435_8138624137956228547_n.jpg

I can't remember the exact recipe, but it went something like this:

Marinate chicken breast pieces in yoghurt, a touch of saffron dissolved in milk, salt and white pepper for a few hours.

Heat ghee and fry the chicken. Remove the chicken and add a bit more ghee or oil if needed, add cinnamon, cumin, cardamom and cloves and fry to release the flavour. Add onions and ginger-garlic paste and fry until he onions are golden. Add a touch of water to stop the spice powder burning and add coriander powder, 1/2 tsp garam masala and some cashews. Fry for a little to release the flavours and then blend this into a smooth gravy. Return to the heat and add in chicken. Simmer until almost done, then add cream and crushed kasoori methi powder. Add a touch of cream, let it heat through then add the last of the saffron/milk infusion just before serving. Then, of course, garnish with rose petals :)

Oh yes I do love it.
I got a recipe for Chicken Tikka Muglai style form Indian friend called Dimple and the saffron instead of turmeric and the amount of fine spices just elevates it to a new level. I truly love it.

Since my husband is British we try to eat curry ones a week, for him it is comfort food.

I introduced my wife to Indian food and she actually asks for it probably about once a week, too. Mughlai cuisine is one of favourites because she's a fan of creamier dishes full of nuts. I don't mind making them!

Though I might make some chicken mince kebabs with mint and nutmeg at the weekend. Yum.

My edit button seems to have gone, but here are a couple of other Mughlai dishes:

Chicken do pyaza ("onions twice" but apparently also a play on the name of the couriter Mullah Do-Piyaza)
13233020_10154078929585435_4699066180763161549_n.jpg

Maharani panch rattan. Emperor Aurangzeb was a vegetarian. Perhaps he enjoyed this dal!
13428381_10154137694275435_9114812827270584796_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom