Adding spices to existing recipes safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Que

Assistant Cook
People stress how much you shouldn't **** with established recipes but would adding a chunk of cinnamon stick to canned apples in syrup be a problem?

Whats the fun in that?:LOL: Messing with recipes is how we create our own. I like cinnamon and apples. Cinnamon also makes a great savory ingredient as well. Go for it!

Messing with recipes is an absolute way of life for most of us here on DC. I even change the baked goods recipes, and often times, just throw together what I expect will work, usually with great results. In addition to adding cinnamon to your canned apples, add a little nutmeg, and maybe even some caramel.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

In

Thanks! I made my first batch. Just cinnamon in them but I think I'll have to refrigerate the lot of them. At least one of them must have leaked in the canner because they came out a sugary mess. The jars all seem to have sealed. Their all popped. But I'm not sure if I can trust them if that happened.

Iv got enough apples for a second batch. First was 5 pint jars. I'll experiment with it more on the next batch. I really like the sound of Caramel!

Whats the fun in that?:LOL: Messing with recipes is how we create our own. I like cinnamon and apples. Cinnamon also makes a great savory ingredient as well. Go for it!

Messing with recipes is an absolute way of life for most of us here on DC. I even change the baked goods recipes, and often times, just throw together what I expect will work, usually with great results. In addition to adding cinnamon to your canned apples, add a little nutmeg, and maybe even some caramel.

In

I'm pretty sure that Que was asking about changing the spices in a recipe that will be canned. Yes, we play with recipes all the time, but we are cautious about changes to recipes for canning.

I'm pretty sure that Que was asking about changing the spices in a recipe that will be canned. Yes, we play with recipes all the time, but we are cautious about changes to recipes for canning.

I didn't realize thay he was canning. I thoght he was workin with store bought canned apples.

To be sure, canning requires safety first. Adding ground spices won't alter yhe recipe significantly. Adding caramel does increase the amount of sugar. Caramel can always be added after the apples are opened.

Que - adding or changing spices to canned goods is absolutely no problem. The caramel is a different matter. I think I would just keep the caramel in mind for when serving.

As to your messy jars. Pretty sure that came from over filling. Most recipes will give you a measurement of how high to fill but for most things like that 1/4 inch is about right.

You can re-water bath those sticky jars. Open, check to be sure you have the 1/4" space to the rim. Re-heat NEW lids for 5 min in boiling water. Wipe down the sticky rims with a hot super clean cloth. Put the clean screw lids back on, FINGER TIGHTEN only - not too tight and not too loose. If you are a type of guy who has a tendency to crank things tight and then give just another little crank for good measure... :mad: use just your thumb and little finger.

Ok. Wasnt sure if trying to reseal them would be ok. honestly might just open them up and make pie. Iv been doing a LOT of canning. I have nothing else to do at this point and it keeps me entertained. Will probably be making salsa and pepper jelly later this week too I have a dozen huge beefsteak tomatos that are just about perfectly ripe

Re-heat NEW lids for 5 min in boiling water.
The current recommendation is that, if jars will be boiled for at least 10 minutes, it's not necessary to boil the lids first. Manufacturers have changed the sealing compound. They just need to be washed in warm water.

Last edited:
I always thought that the boiling of the lids was as much to soften the compound as to sterilize them.
Just checking them now and I see that they are indeed softer than I remember.

But seeing as he is using them on jars that have cooled it probably wouldn't hurt to boil them for a while.

Or... what the heck... Just make your pies! :LOL:

Learning to work with Herbs & Spices is a journey in itself.

My site below may help you with that. ;)

Back
Top Bottom