Am I Alone In This?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[emoji38]

Okay now, let's stop this train-wreck of trashing Kale! :ROFLMAO:

Italians have been cooking with Kale for longer than probably any of us have been alive. That's one of their "go-to" greens.
Think Zuppa Toscana, or pretty much any Italian Soup, they use KALE!
I feel that any vegetable cooked to ones own liking can be delicious,
EVEN BRUSSELS SPROUTS!!
[emoji38]:ROFLMAO:[emoji38]:ROFLMAO:

[emoji38] Come on, now, K'girl. Not everyone likes everything, no matter how the Italians feel about it, and that's okay. In fact, I would bet there are Italians who don't like kale.

I have never had Avocado Toast, and I think it may have peaked already.

I like Jello. I think it's going to need rediscovery as a fad food. I seldom see anyone serve it around here i.e WFD and never on any family restaurant menus. I can't find my mom's old copy of the Joys of Jello, so I mostly make my favorite flavor, which is red by the seat of my pants. With sliced bananas or strawbs.

I have made quiche fairly regularly for about 40+ years. Quiche Lorraine being a favorite, asparagus/mushrooms/various peppers/ham/crab/ even corn are good adds too.

Real men don't eat quiche. :chef:

I don't have a problem with pumpkin spices in everything, as I just don't buy those products. However, when I can't buy what I want because everything is pumpkin spiced, well, then it's an irritation. I don't drink much beer, except when I come back from a ride and am hot and thirsty. I like summer weight beers, and my favorite is Shipyard Summer Ale, a wheat beer. Starting around mid-August, the stores are filled with pumpkin beer, and summer beers are gone. We have plenty of warm weather left, and the last thing I want to quench my thirst is a #%$@#$% pumpkin beer! I've learned to stock up by early August to get me through the rest of the year.

"Trendy" doesn't always mean new, MC. My biggest complaint is that many things that once used to be "food" are now trendy. They are trendy now because a food TV show or host has started to promote an item. Or a social "influencer" talks about something and all of a sudden all her/his followers just HAVE to have/do it. :rolleyes:

Just a few years ago I was able to buy beef shanks for soup cheap - $1.99 to $2.49 per pound. Then someone decides to refer to them as "beef osso bucco" and the price near me has shot up to $5.99! Cauliflower used to be a vegetable. Now, since it's being used in place of rice or pizza crusts, the $2 head of cauliflower is rarely below $3 in just a few years time. Meanwhile, its cousin the crown of broccoli, has not experienced the same jump in price. That might be because now the stems are lopped off the crown, shredded, and sold to be used a "broccoli slaw", in case you aren't friends with cabbage.

I could go on and on, but I don't want to bore anyone. :D

PS - For me, any beer that needs the addition of fruit to make it tasty isn't really beer. ;) Unless you're talking about a Lambic which, to my taste buds, more resembles a bubbly wine. I haven't tried it yet, but I bet I could pass it off as sparking wine to my best friend who swears she hates beer. :LOL:
I agree with you on "trendy" and "new". In my reply I meant foods that are new to the individual not new in the sense of "new" to everyone.

Yes, I've had the same experience with formerly cheap cuts of meat. Only a few years ago the butcher would practically give oxtail away - in fact, knowing I liked it he often did throw one in free when I was buying a lot of other meat. Last year I was charged more than £8 (approx $10.50 at current exchange rate) for an oxtail. Only enough for 2 (not very hungry) adults. Apparently a trendy London restaurant is serving it as a speciality at a really extortionate price.

I definitely understand what you're saying, and Im equally as stubborn ( or at least thats what my wife tells me)

I dont like being told what's in and whats out, what i should and or shouldn't like, what I have to try..

That being said, I love learning and trying new things, but at my won discretion , not being forced down my throat.

I've been vegetarian for 30 + years , my wife a recent vegan. Now, all of a sudden with the introduction of the impossible burger, everyone is jumping in, its all over the news , restaurants are expanding their menus... Al of this is good for me, because it means more options and easier shopping. But, ive being doing/ living this for years, and now all of a sudden its ' the new thing'. And people new to this are trying to tell me all about it and how it is all done, as if they are experts because they've been doing it for a few months.

Not only cooking, but when I wash the news and they tell me what the ' color of the year ' will be , so be sure to get a new wardrobe to accommodate this, or the ' song of the summer'.... Who is anyone to decide these things for me. Ill choose what songs I like and what colors i want to wear ( even if I look ridiculous to all those fashion trend-setters).

I remember watching a cooking show and the guy frowned on a chef for using a melon-baller to make melon balls for a fruit salad. He said that it was a ' dated technique'. I mean, really ? Who gives a crap how old the technique is . Ultimately , food needs to taste good and be somewhat presentable. Everything else is an added bonus. we're not all identical therefore we each have our own tastes and preferences. I think its great for people to introduce new things but also , and more importantly to respect everyones right to make their own decision without snobby faces and ridicule.

On a lighter note, my sister in law is one of those ' i have to have the latest trend, no matter what the cost'. She actually traded in her old car for a new one for the sole reason that silver was out and white was in that year. Ass. I cant see how anyone could enjoy live always worrying about what someone else thinks.

Be creative, be unique, be an individual, share, learn , appreciate and enjoy!!!

Sorry for the rant, I guess im in one of my bitter stubborn moods ;)

-I didn't say quiche was new. It was a fad a number of years ago. That's when I formed my opinion.

-What's not to like? It has no taste. I mostly eat veggies steamed and plain. You, as most others only ever mention it in conjunction with cheese sauce, macaroni and cheese or curry or soup. Try broccoli instead.

-I said before, I'm not suggesting this is for others. Do what you want. I'm talking about my preferences.As

-What's not to like? I don't like or dislike it. I was put off by its 15 minutes of fame.

-Thanks for your gratuitous psychoanalysis. I enjoy a wide variety of foods from many cultures.

-I don't consider trying new foods to be living dangerously. Sorry you feel that way.
But you offered the subject for discussion so you only have yourself to blame.

As for the broccoli versus cauliflower - I was eating both as soon as I was old enough to be fed proper food. Each, cooked properly, are good eating. In any case what is wrong with "cheese sauce, macaroni and cheese or curry or soup" as a way of serving a vegetable? And have you ever had "chou fleur polonaise"? De-lish!

Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this am? Too much Californian red last night? Your turn to clean the oven? Mrs Andy giving you stick? Cheer up, Sunshine, it'll be bedtime soon - and no throwing teddy out of the cot.

Last edited:
"Blame?" Blame for what? Andy's topic is a good one.

If anyone got up on the wrong side of the "cot", I'd say it's you, MC. :rolleyes:

I grew up eating cauliflower, I am odd , I buy 2 heads a year, one get cooked and bake to make cauliflower polonaise but I use a 1930 recipe that bake the head whole with bacon and the other one becomes Indian cauliflower.

Quiche, well here it is called pie, yeah pie and I used to love eating them as starters but I grew tired of them.

I used to loved stewed kale and kale salad, but both contain citrusfruit and that is a no go. I do enjoy a dutch dish with kale and potatoes from time to time.

I do buy oatmeal milk, why, well it cut down time when I make milk free Staffordshire Oatcakes, which I miss , I might make them tomorrow. Yum.

Otherwise being in Sweden our fads are weirder then yours I guess, you can find artisan bread, cheese, fermented herring and more and that is good but as soon as hipster gets nerdy about something, it doesnt always get better but it will be pricier.

If you are going avoid fad foods, then there aint much you can eat, every thing has been a fad at some point, even spices.

But you offered the subject for discussion so you only have yourself to blame.

As for the broccoli versus cauliflower - I was eating both as soon as I was old enough to be fed proper food. Each, cooked properly, are good eating. In any case what is wrong with "cheese sauce, macaroni and cheese or curry or soup" as a way of serving a vegetable? And have you ever had "chou fleur polonaise"? De-lish!

Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this am? Too much Californian red last night? Your turn to clean the oven? Mrs Andy giving you stick? Cheer up, Sunshine, it'll be bedtime soon - and no throwing teddy out of the cot.

You don't get it.

I wasn't asking for your advice or psychoanalysis yet you felt you had to offer it. If you don't enjoy my posts, please feel free to ignore them.

So, how does everyone feel about fondue?:ohmy: I never tried it when it was all the rage, but I like it since the first time I tried, maybe 5-6 years ago.:yum:

So, how does everyone feel about fondue?:ohmy: I never tried it when it was all the rage, but I like it since the first time I tried, maybe 5-6 years ago.:yum:

Back in the 70s when I was first married, my ex introduced me to traditional cheese fondue. As much as I enjoy cheese, I never enjoyed it as a meal the way she did.

I like fondue. I have a good fondue pot, but fondue, IMO, is a group food. Not many opportunities at the dog house to make it.

Another "fad" that bugs me is what happened to Flat Iron Steak. It was called "poor man's Tenderloin, at $249/pound. Then it be came a fad, and it costs as much as a good ribeye.

CD

I had fondue pot, I dont know where it went when I moved.
I had had broth, oil, cheese and chocolate fondue, not all at once and yes it was lovely.

I had a broth fondue with 6 sauces and one was beef broth and liquorice root, that was interesting.

I'm glad to hear all the different preferences.
I'm a big fan of fondue and I have a cuisinart electric one, I love it. It keeps the right temperature and the cord disconnects with magnets, so it's not a hazard.
The restaurant, 'the melting pot' has brought back fondue.
I like all kinds, sitting with friends (adults), enjoying a big spread of choices.

I never owned a fondue pot, but I once had a condo with Avocado kitchen appliances and shag carpeting (which I replaced as soon as I could afford to!). :)

Back
Top Bottom