Bacardi 151 rum cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bacardi

Senior Cook
I am still looking for a made from scratch chocolate rum cake, but had a box of yellow cake mix so figured I'd give the original yellow/vanilla rum cake a try...

1st thing I wanted to say, I have never bake or even tasted a rum cake, ever...lol The dough was very sticky and climbed the hand mixers beaters and got all over the hand mixer and fell back down. I've never seen that before, but again never made this cake.

From the original recipe, I made 4 changes which I'm hoping for the better...

No nuts
Butter instead of veg. oil
Milk instead of water
Bacardi 151 instead of Dark rum (we're boozers and UFC is on tonight!)

• ---Cake---
  • 1 18-1/2 ounce yellow cake mix
  • 1 1-3/4 ounce (4-serving size) instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk*
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup Bacardi 151
  • ---Glaze---
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup rum

Unsure what rum or how much I'll use for the glaze as ZERO alcohol will get cooked out...I think a 1/2c of 151 would simply make the cake undesirable, lol...I only have capt morgan and 151 on hand. I think I might try a sample of each 151 & capt morgan...

YT, I've heard of Wray, have been meaning to give it a try. Doubt I'd use it for a cake though...

Update...Cake is done, I took a pic and it was out of focus. I poked a bunch a hole in the top with a skewer and poured the somewhat thick glaze over with the though that it would fill the hole and soak into the cake...That didn't happen, the glazed bridged the hole. Not sure if the glaze was too thick or if I needed larger holes. Overall it's good...If I make it again I'll try oil and water to see if I notice any difference over the butter and milk.

Maida Heatter has an 86 Proof Boubon Chocolate Cake in her chocolate book that folks have substituted rum with great success.

YT, I've heard of Wray, have been meaning to give it a try. Doubt I'd use it for a cake though...

Update...Cake is done, I took a pic and it was out of focus. I poked a bunch a hole in the top with a skewer and poured the somewhat thick glaze over with the though that it would fill the hole and soak into the cake...That didn't happen, the glazed bridged the hole. Not sure if the glaze was too thick or if I needed larger holes. Overall it's good...If I make it again I'll try oil and water to see if I notice any difference over the butter and milk.
I think the Wray has a more intense rum flavor, as do many of the rums from other than Puerto Rico.

Back
Top Bottom