Best Techniques for Lining a Round Cake Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matthews

Assistant Cook
In the cooking forum community, members often discuss various techniques for lining a round cake pan to ensure their cakes come out perfectly every time. The main challenge is finding a method that prevents sticking, allows for easy removal, and maintains the cake's shape. Common solutions include using parchment paper, butter and flour, or specialized baking sprays.

Members share their tips, favorite products, and experiences with different methods, seeking advice on which technique yields the best results for different types of cakes.

For some recipes I use butter. It tastes better than oil or spray stuff and seems to release easier than other options.

When called for, I use parchment. Once I got the hang of how to cut a circle of parchment, It's easy peasy.

Last edited:
I don’t bake much anymore but I have good results with a squirt of cooking spray and a tablespoon of flour, cake mix, cocoa, etc… tossed into the pan and tapped around to coat the bottom of the pan, invert the pan and dump the excess before adding the batter. Starting with an impeccably clean pan is also important.

This Miracle Pan Release recipe is similar to Baker's Joy spray.

½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup vegetable shortening
½ cup vegetable oil

Beat with a hand mixer until fluffy and smooth.
Store in the pantry or refrigerate.
Use within a couple of months.

Last edited:
For a pie or cake pan I use parchment.
method 1: cut a square a little bigger than the pan. Cut from the 4 corners and 4 sides towards the middle 3 inches from center.
Method 2: cut a square a little bigger than the pan. Crumble the paper into a small fist, flatten the paper. Mold it into the pan, it won't be perfect but it will work fine.
Pour or spoon the batter into the middle of the pan.

My mother used to trace the pan on wax paper with a pencil and then cut out the circle with scissors.

I just grease the pan, then coat it with sugar. Sugar melts as the cake bakes and doesn't leave any ugly white mess like flour does, which is especially disgusting on a chocolate cake.

My mother used to trace the pan on wax paper with a pencil and then cut out the circle with scissors.

I just grease the pan, then coat it with sugar. Sugar melts as the cake bakes and doesn't leave any ugly white mess like flour does, which is especially disgusting on a chocolate cake.
The cake release easy? The sugar doesn't stick to pan?
In the past when making chocolate cake I've buttered my pan then dusted with cocoa powder.

The cake release easy? The sugar doesn't stick to pan?
I've never had a problem with sticking, probably because the sides of the cake always pulls away from the pan.
In the past when making chocolate cake I've buttered my pan then dusted with cocoa powder.
That sounds like a good idea, for chocolate cakes.

I'd recommend cutting a round shape out of parchment paper and placing it inside the mold before pouring in the batter. This helps prevent sticking and makes it easy to remove the cake after baking.

Back
Top Bottom