Bucket list?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would love to make basil ice cream (once I get an ice cream maker) and homemade bagels! And I was watching Julie & Julia the other day and I think it would be pretty cool to do something like that one day!

I'd like to try a whole fresh fish from one of our local on-the-water seafood shops. I looked at some red snapper on the hoof the other day; they weren't priced, and the "tripletail" (whatever that is) fillets beside them were $18.95/lb. and scared me off.

Hey tinlizzie, what I do may work for you also! I go down to the docks when the fishing boats come in and ask if they have anything that they would sell. Almost all of them will sell me any of their catch for $1 per/pound and sometimes, it's still moving.

There's a guy who fishes the Jetties at the Inlet, and he sells me sheepshead for the same $1 a pound, right out of the water!

I love eating them more than catching them, so I do this quite often!

It might work where you live also. I found the right boats and times from the bait shops nearest the docks.

Just one of my bucket list items is to make a turducken. I've always wanted to make one but can't justify it as we are usually just the two of us and when the family comes, they are all too picky to be willing to eat one.

Hey tinlizzie, what I do may work for you also! I go down to the docks when the fishing boats come in and ask if they have anything that they would sell. Almost all of them will sell me any of their catch for $1 per/pound and sometimes, it's still moving.

There's a guy who fishes the Jetties at the Inlet, and he sells me sheepshead for the same $1 a pound, right out of the water!

I love eating them more than catching them, so I do this quite often!

It might work where you live also. I found the right boats and times from the bait shops nearest the docks.

What a swell idea, Timothy. Aren't you nice, especially after I sicced the mayo cops on you for using Miracle Whip.

What a swell idea, Timothy. Aren't you nice, especially after I sicced the mayo cops on you for using Miracle Whip.

I evaded them by smearing some mayo on the corners of my mouth so thier mayo-dogs wouldn't smell Miracle Whip on my breath! They never even noticed me go by! :ROFLMAO:

Simple enough...or so I thought. To make high, light, flaky biscuits. I've been cooking for 54 years and have tried every biscuit recipe and method on the planet. It was making me crazy, especially since Glenn really loves biscuits and so do I.

Well, as of this week, I can scratch biscuits off my Bucket List. In my usual biscuit frustrated state of mind I was surfing the 'net the other day and came across an Alton Brown biscuit recipe that just seemed to resonate with me. I really respect AB and appreciate his explanations of "how things work," so I printed the recipe out and hit the kitchen.

All I had on hand was some crappy old bench flour I use for dredging so I used that. Wow! The biscuits were picture-perfect. Glenn ate 5 as soon as they came out of the oven.

Okay, so I thought...beginner's luck. Decided to conduct another test and made another batch this afternoon, this time using White Lily flour. Holy Toledo! Fantastic. The biscuits were high, light, flaky and perfect. I won't tell you how many my biscuit lovin' husband ate this time but, suffice it to say, the recipe is a keeper.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I should be getting close to 250 pounds of aged, Grass - Fed Angus, processed and packaged.

Holy moly, PF! Do you have a check-out program, like the library has? Are you in need of tasters, just to insure the meat is up to exacting standards? I would be willing to volunteer my services. No, no, don't thank me.

Holy moly, PF! Do you have a check-out program, like the library has? Are you in need of tasters, just to insure the meat is up to exacting standards? I would be willing to volunteer my services. No, no, don't thank me.

If I don't get the freezer cleaned out, I will have to have a huge BBQ.:LOL: I am told there is a 10 pound brisket...corned beef here we come. Almost pastrami!:)

my culinary bucket list would include: make great rye, multigrain, and italian breads; make gooseneck barnacles in saffron cream sauce; eat the "big texan" 72oz steak challenge; try a proper curds poutine; grill whelks in shell; and i still haven't made french onion soup, although i've bought the appropriate crocks.

I'm thinking I need to add souffles to my bucket list, since I now have a supply of FRESH eggs! PF, we used to always get a side of beef and a side of pork in the fall. The most we got re: beef was 575 lb. Pork was around 150 lb.Enjoy! I so loved the tenderloin...and the rib eye, and, and, and....maybe next fall. And, I'd get all the marrow bones (the others that went in on this with us didn't keep the bones or want the hearts...). Oh the beef stocks I used make...I see a lot of posts about meals with beef from you...

Back
Top Bottom